CEV Men's European Volleyball Championship 2021 | Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Poland

• The current , 24-team/4-host format will remain for the next edition, too. Finland were announced as the third host, following the selection of the Czech Republic and Estonia. The fourth organizer will be revealed soon.

Source: CEV

• Germany is candidate to be the 4th host.

But CEV is ready to give this spot to Poland (is Polish Federation would like to) and then two 1/8, two 1/4 matches, semis and finals will be played in Poland.

This week Poland should decide and there is huge financial issue as Poland is hosting 2022 Women's WCH and budget is still not closed.

https://www.przegladsportowy.p…-impreza-w-polsce/357em08

• Germany is candidate to be the 4th host.

But CEV is ready to give this spot to Poland (is Polish Federation would like to) and then two 1/8, two 1/4 matches, semis and finals will be played in Poland.

This week Poland should decide and there is huge financial issue as Poland is hosting 2022 Women's WCH and budget is still not closed.

https://www.przegladsportowy.p…-impreza-w-polsce/357em08

Poland sent all documents / guarantee to CEV to be host of ECH 2021.

https://sport.interia.pl/siatk…iatkarzy-2021,nId,3268899

• YavorD

Changed the title of the thread from “CEV Men's European Volleyball Championship 2021 | Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland” to “CEV Men's European Volleyball Championship 2021 | Czech Republic, Estonia, Finland, Poland”.
  • The first qualification tournament of group D has been completed. Originally, the qualification was supposed to follow the home & away system, but because of COVID 19 CEV decided to implement the qualification system they used before Eurovolley 2019. In each group there will be 2 tournaments hosted by one of the 4 participating countries. In pool D case, both tournaments will be hosted by Cyprus.

Results

Day 1

Moldova 0-3 Latvia / sets: 10-25 / 21-25 / 20-25

Cyprus 1-3 Spain / sets: 22-25 / 27-25 / 17-25 / 17-25

Day 2

Latvia 1-3 Spain / sets: 22-25 / 21-25 / 25-16 / 19-25

Moldova 3-0 Cyprus / sets: 25-22 / 25-22 / 25-22

Day 3
    Moldova
    3-1 Spain / sets: 23-25 / 25-20 / 25-21 / 25-19

Latvia 3-0 Cyprus / sets: 25-17 / 25-16 / 25-11

Overall, Moldova's win over Spain is the only surprise so far, but it was really unexpected, after all Spain reached eightfinals in the Eurovolley 2019. Spain seems however to be in a really bad shape so far, they even lost a set against Cyprus.

Standings so far:

PlaceCountryPointsGames won-lost
    Sets won-lost
    1.Latvia
    6 2 - 17 - 3 (ratio 233.33)
    Moldova62 - 16 - 4 (ratio 150.00)
    Spain
    62 - 1
    7 - 5 (ratio 140.00)
    Cyprus00 - 3
    1 - 9 (ratio 011.11)

• Another day, another disastrous result for Spain. I am really happy for Cyprus, that was one of the biggest surprises in recent memory.

Cyprus' win over Spain means 2 things. First, Latvia has 3 points of advantage over the other teams and is now very close to qualifying to their 2nd ever European Volleyball Championship. Also, noone's officially out yet, remember that 5 best ranked 2nd placed teams also qualify. The difference between 2nd and 4th team is also 3 points which means that on paper even Cyprus could win both remaining matches and hope to be amongst the 5 best runners-up.

Day 4 Results:

Moldova 0-3 Latvia / sets: 22-25 / 17-25 / 22-25

Cyprus 3-0 Spain / sets: 27-25 / 25-17 / 25-22

Standings so far:

PlaceCountryPointsGames won-lost
    Sets won-lost
    Latvia9
    3 - 1
    10 - 3 (ratio 333.33)
    Moldova62 - 2
    7 - 8 (ratio 087.50)
    Spain62 - 2
    6 - 7 (ratio 085.71)
    4.Cyprus31 - 34 - 9 (ratio 044.44)

Tommorow's matches will be very important, since Latvia plays Spain and Cyprus will play against Moldova.

• Wow, who would expect this group to be so competitive? Spain was supposed to win this easily, followed by Latvia, while Moldova and Cyprus were supposed to be happy with every set they win. The reality turned out to be much different. It's only 1 leg to go, but we still have 3 teams that can win the group and qualify directly.

After suffering yesterday's defeat, Spain beats the group leader. Since Spain managed to beat Latvia it was basically certain Cyprus lost all chances of qualifying and it was made clear when Cyprus lost 2 sets against Moldova. Still, today's win is another huge success for them. They beat two much stronger teams in a row. Hopefully this will give them the strength to play well against Latvia.

Side note: I haven't seen someone get sent off the pitch in volleyball for a long time until today referee showed Bahov yellow and red at the same time :what:

Day 5 Results

Latvia 1-3 Spain / sets: 25-27 / 25-18 / 26-28 / 22-25

Moldova 2-3 Cyprus / sets: 20-25 / 25-19 / 25-19 / 22-25 / 10-15

Standings so far:

PlaceCountryPoints Games won-lostSets won-lost
    1.Latvia93 - 2
    11 - 6 (ratio 183.33)
    Spain93 - 210 - 9 (ratio 111.11)
    3.Moldova72 - 38 - 10 (ratio 080.00)
    Cyprus5 2 - 3
    7 - 11 (ratio 063.64)

Tommorow 2 final games will be played, both very important: Spain - Moldova & Latvia - Cyprus

• Spain wins 2 sets against Moldova and guarantees themselves a place amongst the top 2 teams in the group. Now the question is who will win it and qualify directly - Spain or Latvia. Latvia has, on paper, an easier task, since all they have to do is beat Cyprus, but the host team showed incredible motivation those last couple of days and I don't think this will be an easy match at all.

• And everything is clear. Latvia will make its second ever appearance at the Eurovolley (huge congrats to this team. I really enjoyed their style of play), while Spain, which reached the play-off stage in 2019 may not qualify at all. Everything depends on the result from other groups. Based on the 2019 Eurovolley qualification results, 12 points should be more than enough to be amongst the 5 best 2nd ranked teams, but we'll see.

All in all, it was a pretty interesting group, despite Spain being the clear favorites. I'm personally very happy for Cyprus. Two wins and five points is a great final result for them, one that they'd probably accept no questions asked before the tournament started. Their team spirit was incredible, I think the atmosphere in the Cypriot team must have been fantastic. This was their first major tournament since 2017 and it's great they managed to perform well on their home soil. I think if they had a good budget to cover the expenses, they might actually become quite a decent team, the potential is definitely there, especially their block was outstanding. I hope this isn't the last we saw of this team.

All in all, in these dark times, it was great to see some competitive senior men's volleyball again, even if the level was not really what I got used to after watching countless World/European championship matches. I hope the other qualification groups will be as exciting as this one.

Day 6 results

Spain 3-0 Moldova / sets: 25-19 / 25-22 / 25-23

Latvia 3-0 Cyprus / sets: 25-15 / 25-21 / 25-23

Final Standings:

PlaceCountryPointsGames won-lost Sets won-lost
    Status
    1.Latvia124 - 214 - 6 (ratio 233.33)
    QUALIFIED
    Spain124 - 2
    13 - 9 (ratio 144.44)
    WAIT
    Moldova72 - 4
    8 - 13 (ratio 061.54)
    DNQ
    4.Cyprus52 - 4
    7 - 14 (ratio 050.00)
    DNQ
  • Do you know guys something about Bosnia team? I was looking and looking and nothing. Aby good players? Who is the captain? Everybody will play?

• Well, first legs has been played in Qualification Group B and and two legs in Group C and no real surprises so far (well, I guess Bosnia winning a set against Macedonia could be considered one). Israel looked pretty bad against Austria, I expected more. But if Austria qualifies to EuroVolley, maybe they will finally get their first win in 53 years or so.

Day 1 Results

GROUP B
    Israel 0-3 Austria (25-27 / 23-25 / 20-25)

GROUP C

North Macedonia 3-1 Bosnia & Herzegovina (27-25 / 25-21 / 23-25 / 25-19)

Day 2 Results

GROUP B

Turkey 3-0 Bosnia & Herzegovina (25-15 / 25-17 / 25-18)

Standings so far:

GROUP B

PlaceCountry
    PointsGames won-lost
    Sets won - lost
    Status
    1.Austria31 - 0
    3 - 0 (ratio ∞)
    WAIT
    Israel
    00 - 1
    0 - 3 (ratio 000.00)
    WAIT
    Bulgaria
    00 - 0
    0 - 0 (ratio 000.00)
    WAIT

GROUP C

PlaceCountryPointsGames won - lostSets won - lost
    Status
    1.Turkey31 - 03 - 0 (ratio +∞ )
    WAIT
    2.North Macedonia
    31 - 0
    3 - 1 (ratio 300.00)
    WAIT
    3.Bosnia & Herzegovina
    00 - 2
    1 - 6 (ratio 016.67)
    WAIT
    4.Denmark0
    0 - 6
    0 - 18 (ratio 000;00)
    WITHDREW
  • Bulgaria trying to dominate the game by force.

I don't really like how they are playing especially the OHs trying to spike it with so much power when they can play smart as the austria's floor is almost wide open.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I kinda miss Bulgaria wearing those iconic white short shorts :lol:

• Why is Atanasov not starting? Sokolov is even more distracting with those pink neon shoes :heart:

• Macedonia is putting a good fight against Turkey so far

• Wow! Nedim Özbey is ruining this team! It is a bunch of players without any team spirit. There is zero block-defense system. Only thing they did well was serving but it didn't work today. Adis is in a terrible shape. I thought he was doing a good job in Italy:what:

Metin toy made 3 mistakes whenever he was subbed for Adis. Smart choice by Nedim not to bring Efe Mandıraci:down::mad:

I have zero hope from this team as long as Nedim Özbey is the coach. He is ruining a very good bunch of players:hit: