2019 ASEAN Grand Prix (Sept 20–22, Thailand

• The Philippine fed is saying that they want to avoid being scouted, but the reality is (or so a good source said) is that the head failed to get sponsors on time. This makes sense because towards the end of 2018, they announced with full confidence that they'd be participating in at least three AVC competitions. Come early 2019, all of a sudden they "miss the deadline" set by AVC.

I don't think Kalei Mau and Alohi Robins-Hardy are secret players. Nobody said anything about this. Besides, videos of them can be easily found on YouTube. Jaja's case, though, can't be just blamed solely on the fed. Ageo Medics simply refused to give her enough time to play. As for her sister, I actually thought she would play (LOL). She hasn't issued any statement that she isn't playing (or has she?). It is clear, though, that she's going back to Japan to play.

It's purely just incompetence on the part of LVPI (the governing body of VB in the PH). If they had been doing their job in securing the best possible schedule and logistics for the team, then they could have joined AVC tournaments. I don't think sponsorship is the issue as REBISCO (PH's sponsor) has been with the team since last year.

As for Jaja, nothing else is to be said. Obviously JVL > Grand Prix and SEA Games especially since the management for PHI Volleyball has been super messy. This squad just started training as a unit like 2/3 weeks ago. That's insane. Dindin has been quiet as of late. She could have joined this leg and played as OPP since she is still in the country and no news/confirmation if and when she'll head to Japan.

I don't think Kalei and Alohi are secret players too lol. Had they just decided to join tournaments to build chemistry and the right rotations, then it would have been better.

No solid system, no good results. Every year is just another rebuilding year.

• Shouldn't Jaja take the opposite spot? She shouldn't be made to receive. I think the OH spot should be given to someone who is more balanced like Galang, Valdez and Pablo.

Jaja played well as OH during the Asian Games and personally, Dindin is better at OPP. Maybe Pons/Valdez can sub in for Jaja to receive at the backrow. Valdez has a decent pipe they can use for that.

OH: Santiago, Mau
    OPP: Manabat
    S: Robins-Hardy
    MB: Madayag, Baron

L: Arado (R), Macandili (D)

SS/DS: Valdez

• It's really odd, because our men's NT started practicing waaaaay before the women's NT did, and they were complete most of the time. They were both assembled at around the same time.

A lot to do with the fact that there are two leagues and schedules don't align with FIVB/AVC calendar.

• As per Wikipedia:

"Due to the frequency of the major family names such as Nguyễn, Trần, and , persons are often referred to by their middle name along with their given name in Vietnamese media and youth culture."

Thailand easily tops this tournament while the rest compete for 2nd place. Vietnam lost 3 main positions including the main setter - Nguyen Linh Chi and 2 OHs - Duong Thi Hen and Dinh Thi Thuy, all due to injury. While 4T is not in her best shape right now so it's not gonna be a surprise if we place at the bottom.

• Jaja hit well, but her reception was consistently abused. We could have done more if she had been taken out of the reception line. Besides, she doesn't even receive when she plays back home, so why should she do it elsewhere? On zone 2, she could've easily checked the likes of Manganang hitting from zone 4.

If she were to play as a non-receiving OH, that might work too. But then the direction that the world is taking puts the tallest and most dominant hitter on the opposite spot.

If she gets her groove on, Dindin can still run one of the meanest slides in the country. She'd be the most useful as MB1.

• Dindin has been quiet as of late. She could have joined this leg and played as OPP since she is still in the country and no news/confirmation if and when she'll head to Japan.

That twocitytrails site offered confirmation of Dindin joining the Kurobe Aquafairies. Nothing on the Kurobe site yet, though. I don't know what the protocol is for when she has to get there, if true. 4T is confirmed by twocity as well and I think she's playing this tournament. twocities is a new site for me. Are they generally reliable?

I couldn't stay up for the THA v VIE match but I just looked at the video and 4T was indeed there.

• That twocitytrails site offered confirmation of Dindin joining the Kurobe Aquafairies. Nothing on the Kurobe site yet, though. I don't know what the protocol is for when she has to get there, if true. 4T is confirmed by twocity as well and I think she's playing this tournament. twocities is a new site for me. Are they generally reliable?

I couldn't stay up for the THA v VIE match but I just looked at the video and 4T was indeed there.

It is reliable although no advancements are being made. I hope Dindin joins them soon so that she'll get to train with the team as fast as possible.

• It is reliable although no advancements are being made. I hope Dindin joins them soon so that she'll get to train with the team as fast as possible.

Dindin saw about zero playing time last season with Toray. Maybe it'll be different this year with Kurobe. Even though it's Kurobe, for my money, Kurobe already has better middles than Toray. We'll see how it goes

Edit: Sorry, I had Kurobe and Okayama mixed up in my head for the moment. She'll be a wonderful addition to the Kurobe middle, if she plays there. I assume yoose guyses talk of her at OP is just for PHI work, yes?

• Did Pimpichaya played today? How was she?

I think she only played the 2nd set. I'm just spinning through it now. She looks fine to me

• btw - I update the scores in the first post of this thread, but I guess they should be posted as we go along, as well. Does anyone know where stat sheets might be found?

Date Score Set 1 Set 2 Set 3 Set 4 Set 5 Total
    9/20
    Indonesia 3 – 2
    Philippines 25 – 21
    26 – 28
    12 – 25
    25 – 18 15 – 9 103 – 101
    9/20
    Thailand 3 – 0 Vietnam
    25 – 18
    25 – 14
    25 – 22
    75 – 54
  • As much as I love the Thai golden generation of players, they were not needed in such tournament. Their u23+ a few of their younger NT players would have been fine and still give the other teams some challenge. And if they happened to lose to the other 3 teams, oh well.

• Agreed. I don’t think TVA has a choice but to send their team A as this event is arranged by SAT (Sport Authority of Thailand) aka their parent organization.

Same thing will happen in Sea games in November. Team A will be sent when they should spend that time preparing for the OQ ?(

Having said that, I do like the line-up in set 2 of THA-VIE game yesterday. A lot of tall-ish young players. Gullapa has shown some potential to be the second setter when Nootsara retires (possibly next year).

• I'm not on board with Gullapa at this time. She's very flat-footed. Doesn't hustle much. Plays like it's a Casual Friday match. I don't think I've ever seen her on the floor.

• So nice to have good quality videos just waiting to be watched instead of scrambling around at game time looking for a stream to show up on some betting site. These should be tonight's matches:

• Dindin saw about zero playing time last season with Toray. Maybe it'll be different this year with Kurobe. Even though it's Kurobe, for my money, Kurobe already has better middles than Toray. We'll see how it goes

Edit: Sorry, I had Kurobe and Okayama mixed up in my head for the moment. She'll be a wonderful addition to the Kurobe middle, if she plays there. I assume yoose guyses talk of her at OP is just for PHI work, yes?

Recently, Dindin has been playing wing in the PH both in her club team Foton (OPP) and in national team (OH/OPP). She won Best Opposite Spiker in her local club recently. The same club where Jaja got 1st best MB.

• Watched a bit of the THA v PHI and the live chat kept saying #coachshaqout. I thought the PHI coach name was Casael, where did Shaq come from?