2019 ASEAN Grand Prix (Sept 20–22, Thailand

• Okay, so I get the Volleydator now. They have it as well. Little better stream.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1jMJgwDENQwJL

This seems to have one guy doing english commentary and one guy in ... Tagalog?

• Date Score Set 1
    Set 2
    Set 3
    Set 4
    Set 5
    Total Video
    10/4 Philippines
    3–0 Vietnam 25–21 25–23 25–21 75–65 YT
    10/4 Indonesia
    0–3 Thailand 16–25 17–25 21–25 54–75 YT
    10/5 Indonesia 3–1 Vietnam 29–27 25–20 23–25 25–17 102–89 YT
    10/5 Philippines 0–3 Thailand 12–25 16–25 10–25 38–75 YT

Ouch

• A Philippines with Valdez, Morado, Gonzaga and Madayag back and still lost to a Manganang less Indonesia. The problem with the Philippines is that they have idols, super stars, models etc. on the court and not so much a "team" per se. There is nothing wrong with having any of those type of players on court, as long as they still played and work as a team.

If Manganang is to be absent again for future events, I don't think Indonesia will have much trouble still being competitive. They have the two young guns in Ratri and Megawati to help out the rest of the girls.

Vietnam, you guys started the 1st set so well with so much energy and fire power and even got to the 20 point mark. What happened in the rest of the other sets?

And Thailand, we already know where you guys stand even before the tournament started. lol

• ASEAN Grand Prix 2019 (2nd leg)

𝙁𝙞𝙣𝙖𝙡 𝙎𝙩𝙖𝙣𝙙𝙞𝙣𝙜𝙨

Champion: Thailand

1st runner up: Indonesia

2nd runner up: The Philippines

3rd runner up: Vietnam

𝙄𝙣𝙙𝙞𝙫𝙞𝙙𝙪𝙖𝙡 𝘼𝙬𝙖𝙧𝙙𝙨

MVP: Pleumjit Thinkaow (THA)

Best Spiker: Pimpichaya Kokram (THA)

Best Blocker: Mary Joy D. Baron (PHI)

Best Server: Ratri Wulandari (INA)

Best Setter: Tri Retno Mutiara Lutfi (INA)

Best Libero: Dawn Macandili (PHI)

I'm glad to see Pimpichaya on court again with good performance after surgery.

• Date Score Set 1
    Set 2
    Set 3
    Set 4
    Set 5
    Total Video
    10/4 Philippines
    3–0 Vietnam 25–21 25–23 25–21 75–65 YT
    10/4 Indonesia
    0–3 Thailand 16–25 17–25 21–25 54–75 YT
    10/5 Indonesia 3–1 Vietnam 29–27 25–20 23–25 25–17 102–89 YT
    10/5 Philippines 0–3 Thailand 12–25 16–25 10–25 38–75 YT
    10/6 Thailand 3–0 Vietnam 25–21 25–12 25–11 75–44 YT-YT-YT
    10/6 Philippines 1–3 Indonesia 21–25 17–25 25–22 21–25 84–97 YT

• I don't know anything about PHI players off the court. When someone said Majoy was a runway model, I believed it but didn't think it was true. What drew me to Majoy (beyond her very extreme look with the tight bun and protruding ears) and Maddie (and others), is that I couldn't in my wildest dreams imagine them expressing frustration or anger at a team mate (or even at themselves). Some people think this kind of thing is a sign of passion and dedication. I think it's weakness --disrespectful whiny pouty crybaby nonsense. Doing a full-on swan dive belly flop for a ball when it's 3-3 in the first set of a match you are going to win anyway is passion and dedication. That's what gets me to root for you. Skill-sets come after that.

I watch players off the ball a lot. If I see one of them standing there waiting to see if the play is going to involve them, instead of involving themselves in the play, they flunk. But they can redeem themselves easily.

It's culture. It has to come from the top and bottom. Money, investment, organization, coaching etc. from the top, and practice receiving 10,000 serves NEXT WEEK, practice hitting with authority a skyball coming from behind your head 10,000 times THE FOLLOWING WEEK, practice tipping a ball over the net and land it on a coin 10,000 times THE NEXT WEEK, etc., from the bottom.

Many PHI players have admirable skills, but some of them may need to ramp up the dedication part. It's not all on them, though. They need help from the top --so they can work on working as a team.

I liked PHI this tournament, enough to look forward to seeing them again, learning more about them and sharing their joy, even if they lose. I was entertained by the way they play even if they looked a lot like a weekend street park pickup squad.

See ya at the SEA Games :)

• I read somewhere that Madayag is a better fit to MB2 (like Baron) because she's a better defender and because of her calm disposition. Maraño is the only available player that can balance the court as the attacking/sliding MB, though she's lost touch. Maybe if she grew more meat she'd be more competitive. I hope to see Maika Ortiz and Bea de Leon healthy and called up to the NT (along with Kat Tolentino as opposite hitter).

Indonesia is going modern now. They have this tall opposite who hits like she doesn't care who her blockers are, though she is sometimes tentative. A step in the direction. Good on them!

• If PHI will go for the terminal OPP, there will be a lot of choices. Manabat, Paat, and Tolentino are at the top of my mind. Include Solomon and Nisperos into that mix. But unless produces OHs who can actually pass, well, expect Gonzaga and Paat to carry a lot of that passing role.

• PSL Super Cup later

Team Shine (Selection - PSL players) vs. PH NT

Team Sparkle (Selection - PSL players) vs. University of Tsukuba

• PSL Super Cup later

:( No access