• I still think Kosheleva will make it to Tokyo, especially now she is back playing in Russia so the Federation will definitely put pressure on Buzato to consider her (if only due to her experience). No question she will be the best candidate in the double sub, compared to say Khaletskaia or God forbid, Malygina. Only question if she will allow to be backup to Goncha :whistle:

They should be preparing for Gonchexit so Lazareva might need the olympic experience.

Anyway, they need a good server because Nataliya's serve is... weak. She needs someone who could cover for her during that phase without sacrificing a lot of firepower.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I would not be so sure Serbia will finish #1. Brazil and Japan could beat them. In the Olympics there`s always a favorite team that under perform, while a underdog surprises everyone. Or if Serbia is #1, then Italy or China could under perform and finish #4.

Even if Russia ( or any other team besides China) finish #1 #2.... They could still lose the Quaterfinal as Serbia, Brazil, Japan can beat them.....even South Korea and DR can beat any team in pool B besides China.

• It'll be a tough battle between Turkey and Russia to even make it as 4th ranked team in Pool B. It could go either way but Turkey has an advantage with Guidetti.

• Tbh not just Turkey and Russia will fight for 4, ofc anything can happen but I'm also not 100% on USA beating those two.

You have a point. USA beat Russia both in 5 sets last WCH and WC so I think their A-teams are on the same level.

• I would not be so sure Serbia will finish #1. Brazil and Japan could beat them. In the Olympics there`s always a favorite team that under perform, while a underdog surprises everyone. Or if Serbia is #1, then Italy or China could under perform and finish #4.

Even if Russia ( or any other team besides China) finish #1 #2.... They could still lose the Quaterfinal as Serbia, Brazil, Japan can beat them.....even South Korea and DR can beat any team in pool B besides China.

Really? I am pretty sure Serbia will go 15/0 in pool play.... unless if something weird happens in pool B such as Italy or China starting to lose games and become 4th in the pool. Then there's no need to meet them in the quarterfinals early.

I don't think SK or DR could beat Italy (this isn't 2012 :gone:)

Speaking of the favorite team which is gonna underperform, it seems this forum has China as a favorite and that scares me.

• China is 100% favorite. They are just on another level. Zhu Ting is more mature now. I think this China is much better than the one from 2016. Italy is the biggest threat to them, plus the Italians are not intimidated by the Chinese team. Serbia, on the other hand, is quite hard to predict how they'll fare against China. If I remember correctly, it was the gold medal match in Rio where they last met in an important match.

• China has the best 4 OH combination in their roster. There are only a few changes in their 12 player list from Olympic champion roster so they have the experience card as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see another CHN-SRB final unless Egonu goes on monster mode in the semis

• I believe that Turkey and Russia will fight for a spot in the QFs. Russia's A team hasn't beaten China/USA/Italy in the last 2 years. With Turkey is kinda difficult to predict since they didn't participate in the WC,but they have improved since the WCH.I really don't see both of them beating the USA and both advancing to the QFs,but as I have said multiple times, it's too early to say for sure.

• I believe that group B will be very disputed. And I do not believe that Russia will fight for the last wave only.

In recent years, Russia played against the USA and the games were won 3x2, always very disputed.

Against Italy in the last European championship, the team from Russia was playing at the front throughout the game, that is, there are chances to win.

The only opponent that the Russian team is unable to beat is China. The other teams, like the USA, Italy and Turkey, may lose to Russia when it comes to Olympic games.

I will not be scared if Russia is second in group B.

• Parubets scored 39 points in the game against the Cannes team.

She is the second highest scorer in the Champions League and is among the 5 players with the best reception.

• Of course I'm hoping for an upset but realistically speaking, the best Russia can achieve is a 4th place at pool B. Then they'll meet Serbia at Quarter-finals and that'll be the end of the road for them. So the curse of not getting past QF post-Athens Olympics continues.

• I still think Kosheleva will make it to Tokyo, especially now she is back playing in Russia so the Federation will definitely put pressure on Buzato to consider her (if only due to her experience). No question she will be the best candidate in the double sub, compared to say Khaletskaia or God forbid, Malygina. Only question if she will allow to be backup to Goncha :whistle:

IMHO Kosheleva's move to Lokomotiv was more about money than playing. Kosheleva has three possible NT OH to compete with (Voronkova, Iurinskaia and Kurilo). All of them are better in reception and good in attack (attacking and receiption percentages of Iurinskaia and Kurilo are almost the same this season and better than the ones of Voronkova, but she gets about as many balls as the other two OH's together). Lokomotiv has five games left in the qualification and only one good opponent (Uralochka) left. Let's see wether Kosheleva plays strong enough in these four games to get a starting position in the playoffs.

Yesterday Krotkova made her comeback (only played some points as sub this season) in CL. She played more than two sets and did really well (best server in her team and really good reception and attack stats https://www.cev.eu/Competition…hStatistics.aspx?ID=37530). Considering that neither Shcherban nor Rusakova play their best Krotkova might have a shot on a starting position. This would be great for the NT. She is a good option in reception and defense plus an intelligent attacker.

• Kosheleva made his debut game for the Lokomotiv team and she scored 9 points.

The team's coach, Voronkov, did not use any tactics to remove Kosheleva from the receiving line.
    He put her to make passes with Kurilo and Galkina. And really, she will not be able to contribute to Russia's national team on that foundation.
    It can only help with your attack.

The question is: will Buzato leave the reception behind and put Kosheleva as a beginner player and Voronkova will leave, or will Kosheleva be a substitute player for Goncharova?

I prefer the trio: Parubets - Voronkova - Goncharova.

Kosheleva and Goncharova playing together - Russia with serious problems at the reception.

• There's really no advantage to sub in Kosheleva for Voronkova. The latter is a better attacker, passer and one of the best server of Russia.

Parubets is the only OH she can actually replace but only for a moment in front and she can't be in the backrow forever.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Honestly, I prefer Kurillo-Parubets-Goncharova.

I want to see Russia use Fetisova and Zaryazhko a lot more and I think they need to.

with Voronkova subbing Kurillo when needed and Kosheleva subbing Goncharova.

• Honestly, I prefer Kurillo-Parubets-Goncharova.

I want to see Russia use Fetisova and Zaryazhko a lot more and I think they need to.

with Voronkova subbing Kurillo when needed and Kosheleva subbing Goncharova.

I don't think this is possible. Russia will utilize Goncharova as much as they can because they have no known great sliding MBs.

What Goncharova have to do is to adjust to Startseva and Romanova's setting in VNL and long before the Olympics. She can't be without them during the VNL. It's their most important preparatory phase. Fatigue has always been an issue to her but this is not a good year to play the i-am-too-tired-carrying-dinamo-moscow-on-my-back card.

#FreeBritney

Edited once, last by Rains ().