• I still think Kosheleva will make it to Tokyo, especially now she is back playing in Russia so the Federation will definitely put pressure on Buzato to consider her (if only due to her experience). No question she will be the best candidate in the double sub, compared to say Khaletskaia or God forbid, Malygina. Only question if she will allow to be backup to Goncha :whistle:

IMHO Kosheleva's move to Lokomotiv was more about money than playing. Kosheleva has three possible NT OH to compete with (Voronkova, Iurinskaia and Kurilo). All of them are better in reception and good in attack (attacking and receiption percentages of Iurinskaia and Kurilo are almost the same this season and better than the ones of Voronkova, but she gets about as many balls as the other two OH's together). Lokomotiv has five games left in the qualification and only one good opponent (Uralochka) left. Let's see wether Kosheleva plays strong enough in these four games to get a starting position in the playoffs.

Yesterday Krotkova made her comeback (only played some points as sub this season) in CL. She played more than two sets and did really well (best server in her team and really good reception and attack stats https://www.cev.eu/Competition…hStatistics.aspx?ID=37530). Considering that neither Shcherban nor Rusakova play their best Krotkova might have a shot on a starting position. This would be great for the NT. She is a good option in reception and defense plus an intelligent attacker.

• Kosheleva made his debut game for the Lokomotiv team and she scored 9 points.

The team's coach, Voronkov, did not use any tactics to remove Kosheleva from the receiving line.
    He put her to make passes with Kurilo and Galkina. And really, she will not be able to contribute to Russia's national team on that foundation.
    It can only help with your attack.

The question is: will Buzato leave the reception behind and put Kosheleva as a beginner player and Voronkova will leave, or will Kosheleva be a substitute player for Goncharova?

I prefer the trio: Parubets - Voronkova - Goncharova.

Kosheleva and Goncharova playing together - Russia with serious problems at the reception.

• There's really no advantage to sub in Kosheleva for Voronkova. The latter is a better attacker, passer and one of the best server of Russia.

Parubets is the only OH she can actually replace but only for a moment in front and she can't be in the backrow forever.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

• Honestly, I prefer Kurillo-Parubets-Goncharova.

I want to see Russia use Fetisova and Zaryazhko a lot more and I think they need to.

with Voronkova subbing Kurillo when needed and Kosheleva subbing Goncharova.

• Honestly, I prefer Kurillo-Parubets-Goncharova.

I want to see Russia use Fetisova and Zaryazhko a lot more and I think they need to.

with Voronkova subbing Kurillo when needed and Kosheleva subbing Goncharova.

I don't think this is possible. Russia will utilize Goncharova as much as they can because they have no known great sliding MBs.

What Goncharova have to do is to adjust to Startseva and Romanova's setting in VNL and long before the Olympics. She can't be without them during the VNL. It's their most important preparatory phase. Fatigue has always been an issue to her but this is not a good year to play the i-am-too-tired-carrying-dinamo-moscow-on-my-back card.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

Edited once, last by Rains ().

• Last year during ECH and WC, it seems Goncharova plays better when Romanova is setting. I can't explain it, but as someone who watched all the NT matches, the connection between Startseva and Goncha really hasn't been "there".

• I don't think this is possible. Russia will utilize Goncharova as much as they can because they have no known great sliding MBs.

Efimova has actually improved the past year but still nothing to write home about lol

• Last year during ECH and WC, it seems Goncharova plays better when Romanova is setting. I can't explain it, but as someone who watched all the NT matches, the connection between Startseva and Goncha really hasn't been "there".

I'm a bit insecure when it comes to setters tbh:aww:. Yes, in the league, the setters are playing with MBs a lot but unfortunately, this word is not valid for Startseva. I don't know if it would be a good idea to test Efimova, Anufrienko and even Novik before OGs. Yes, Startseva used to be the best setter in Russia but unfortunately now the setter who is playing old fashioned volleyball like her is not much even in the Russian league. I think their main problem is setters, not MBs:whistle:

• I don't think this is possible. Russia will utilize Goncharova as much as they can because they have no known great sliding MBs.

What Goncharova have to do is to adjust to Startseva and Romanova's setting in VNL and long before the Olympics. She can't be without them during the VNL. It's their most important preparatory phase. Fatigue has always been an issue to her but this is not a good year to play the i-am-too-tired-carrying-dinamo-moscow-on-my-back card.

If Russia's game plan is: throw everything at Goncha, I expect them to not make it pass the groups in Tokyo. I'd try something new.

• I'm a bit insecure when it comes to setters tbh:aww:. Yes, in the league, the setters are playing with MBs a lot but unfortunately, this word is not valid for Startseva. I don't know if it would be a good idea to test Efimova, Anufrienko and even Novik before OGs. Yes, Startseva used to be the best setter in Russia but unfortunately now the setter who is playing old fashioned volleyball like her is not much even in the Russian league. I think their main problem is setters, not MBs:whistle:

The best attacking MBs in the world know where to attack. They don't need a setter to call the shots.

But that's not the primary duty of an MB. There's a reason they are called blockers instead of hitters.

In my opinion, Russia probably needs to go back to molten balls in order for the new generation of MBs to speed up the play so the setters can become more creative. Mikasa evolved the block of russia but they are lost with the offensive side because chaos is everywhere when there's a bad reception. I don't think Koroleva will evolve further but maybe there's still hope for Lazarenko.

But this is something that should be done after the olympics. There's just too little time and I doubt the improvement is going to be noticeable in Tokyo.

If Russia's game plan is: throw everything at Goncha, I expect them to not make it pass the groups in Tokyo. I'd try something new.

The last time Russia tried something different, they've beaten Turkey without Goncharova. Trust me, you don't want any of that. :lol:

Edited 2 times, last by Rains ().

• Oh well, I like good level of volleyball, but you are probably right about there being way too little time now.

• Personally, i'd like to see Goncharova as OPP with Lazareva and Parubets as OHs. Maybe Lazareva could pull off what Goncha did in London 2012. Russia needs firepower among the OHs to support Goncha. I thought Voronkova would be that OH but from what I've seen from last tear, she was quite unreliable in attack.

• In particular, I believe that there are few doubts for the Russian team!

Old players like Chaplina and Scherban have been called but I believe there is no more room for them.

The ideal Russian team, in my opinion, consists of:

Startseva - Romanova

Goncharova - Lazareva

Fetisova - Zaryazhko - Lazarenko (although I believe Buzato will choose Efimova)

Parubets - Voronkova - Kurilo - Kosheleva (which will be tested in the League of Nations, if it continues to harm the team's receiving line, he can play as Goncharova's substitute)

Malova

A huge list of 30 players is not necessary.

I believe that after the Olympic Games a renovation work should be carried out, with Gorbunova, Brovkina, Kadochkina, Fedorovtseva, Akimova ... all aged 15/16 and above 1.90 in height.

After the Tokyo Olympics, Goncharova and Kosheleva will say goodbye to the Russian team. Startseva can still continue, as age does not have much weight for her position.

Parubets and Voronkova will be the team leaders in the 2020-2024 cycle.

• main roster

S: Startseva, Romanova

OH: Kosheleva, Voronkova, Parubets, Kurilo, Kotikova, Yurinskaya
    OPP: Goncharova, Khaletskaya, Lazareva, Malygina

MB: Fetisova, Koroleva, Efimova, Orlova, Evdokimova, Lazarenko

L: Malova, Galkina, Pilipenko

reserve of the main roster

S: Efimova, Novik, Ryseva

OH: Bavykina, Krotkova, Shcherban, Sperskaite, Rusakova

OPP: Russu

MB: Enina, Zaytseva, Lyubushkina

L: Kurnosova, Frolova

• Is the Russian team divided into 2 teams? Does it mean that Shcherban will only play for the Russian team if any players get hurt?

She's on team B.

I believe that the attackers who will go to Tokyo are: Kosheleva, Parubets, Voronkova and Kurilo. Goncharova and Lazareva too.

• Is the Russian team divided into 2 teams? Does it mean that Shcherban will only play for the Russian team if any players get hurt?

She's on team B.

I believe that the attackers who will go to Tokyo are: Kosheleva, Parubets, Voronkova and Kurilo. Goncharova and Lazareva too.

yes, Russian NT is divided into 2 teams (A and B).

Yes, Shcherban is in B team, and it seems she has less chance to participate in OGs, but still everything is possible (depending on their performance or head coach). I guess if any player of team A does not play well or has an injury and then player of team B can replace her.

If we think that 12 players will go to the Olympics, Lazareva has less chance to make it Olympics because you can't take 6 hitters to the Olympics imo. Yes, I think the rest of the players (Kosheleva, Goncharova, Parubets, Voronkova, Kurilo) are real candidates for the Olympics.