Continental Olympic Qualifier Tokyo 2020

• Schedules were set, last chance to win the ticket to Tokyo Olympics. :olympia:

- Europe (January 5-10 in Berlin, Germany): Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Netherlands, Slovenia, Serbia.

- Africa (January 7-11 in Cairo, Egypt): Algeria, Botswana, Cameroon, Egypt, Ghana, Niger, Tunisia.

- Asia (January 7-12 in Jiangmen, China): Australia, China, Chinese Taipei, India, Iran, Kazakhstan, Korea, Qatar.

- South America (January 9-11 in Santiago, Chile): Chile, Colombia, Peru, Venezuela.

- NORCECA (January 10-12 in Vancouver, Canada): Canada, Cuba, Mexico, Puerto Rico.

• Iran is in danger of missing the olympics with Ghafour out until March.

Well, there's the russia DQ possibility so there's still hope for Tokyo if they don't make it out of the Asian Qualification while Australia, China, Qatar or even Sokor all tear it up in January.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

Well, there's the russia DQ possibility so there's still hope for Tokyo if they don't make it out of the Asian Qualification while Australia, China, Qatar or even Sokor all tear it up in January.

Great chance for Australia. Although the event's happening in China, I don't think they can manage to get a ticket there even with host privileges.

However, I doubt whether the absence of one player can bring Iran in danger. They've got so many players to replace with him.

• Great chance for Australia. Although the event's happening in China, I don't think they can manage to get a ticket there even with host privileges.

However, I doubt whether the absence of one player can bring Iran in danger. They've got so many players to replace with him.

There’re not many players who can replace Ghafour. Yali is a decent backup but he’s not as good as Ghafour.

How did Ghafour get injured? I know he couldn’t play most of the matches during the world club championship.

• How did Ghafour get injured? I know he couldn’t play most of the matches during the world club championship.

That's a back injury, Lube claims it was Iran NT's fault. in Iran they say the opposite, but I think I believe what Lube doctors say. he needs 6-8 weeks of rest.

they called up Shahram Mahmoudi. who announced retirement in summer after an unsuccessful try to join the team again for the OQT in Russia. it seems Mahmoudi has no intention to play at the Olympic itself, he just joined them to help the team for this tournament. at least that's what he claims.

in Iran they stopped the league couple weeks ago to be more prepared this time, unlike the World Cup when the team was broken. but Ghafour's injury makes things dangerous because we know Australia can play very good in its best day. (personally I'm not afraid of any other team) I think Yali will be the starter, Mahmoudi is just there to help if necessary. and I won't be surprised if Kolakovic even decides to play Mirzajanpour or Manavinejad in this position. they are both having a good season in the local league and they played as Opposite before.

and yes Iran federation contacted FIVB already about possible Russia's disqualification, the answer was "no comment until CAS decision"

• Honestly, I believe it's Ghafour's fault and partially, Lube's.

To play for a top club such as Lube can be an honour especially for an asian player trying to break through Europe.

At the start of the season, everyone thought Rychlicki is the titular but then he struggled so Ghafour replaced him.

Maybe Ghafour thought this is his chance to show his quality and win some club titles in Europe or even the world. He probably overworked himself just to stay ahead of Rychlicki and paid the ultimate price and that's his participation in the continental qualifications for Olympics.

Lube is also notorious for convincing players when they're reportedly injured. An example is Sokolov during 2017/18 season. Maybe they got into Ghafour's head but then again, it's still the player's choice to play since I believe Iran's volleyball federation is powerful enough to recall the player if he's not fit to play a club season overseas especially when a very important tournament is on the line for the next year.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

Edited once, last by Rains ().

• looks llike the official schedule has been announced

the African pre tournament will be a round robin of 5 teams

- Africa (January 7-11 6-12 in Cairo, Egypt): Algeria, Botswana, Cameroon, Egypt, Ghana, Niger, Tunisia.

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• So... which team do you think can make it to Tokyo from Europe? I can't say it for sure after seeing Slovenia's performance in the recent tournaments, but it's gonna be either France or Serbia, probably...

Can Bulgaria do something in Pool B? I've not been following them recently, but apparently they're not in a good shape.

What about Asia? Which team's going to get the ticket? I mean, it should be between Iran, Australia and China.

I know you mentioned Iran's OPP Ghafour is injured, but is it actually enough to hope for a Australia win? I saw Iran's game in WC with Brazil, and the replacement for him scored a decent number of points and played very well, except struggling in crucial points. But shouldn't he be enough for Asian teams?

If Iran is not in a good shape, then which team would you choose? Australia or China?

• I'm rooting for Serbia!! France will be tough, but I believe they can beat them, as for Slovenia, I don't think they can play as well as they played in ECH.

Iran is still the favorite, for sure. But with Ghafour injured, you never know.

• This is very specific tournament. There is no time to improve too much, you play by heart with club shape and team experience will pay. I think the main favourite is France, but Serbia is next to them. Also for me Germany may make a surprise and win this tournament.

• I think the final will be Germany-Serbia.

I don't see France making it this time, they are on decline.

Slovenia won't have home crowd to pull them forward against several tough opponents this time. Don't think they can do it either.

The other 4 teams have no chance. Well, maybe Bulgaria has like 5%...

As for Asia, Iran should win easily even with substitute Opp. Only in a very bad day they can lose a serious match to Australia.

• France all the way. Only Serbia can stop them.