Continental Olympic Qualifier Tokyo 2020

• watched a little bit of BUL x NED today and NED x SRB the other day... this tournament showing some surprises. NED are a mess, passing is bad and so attack really suffers. OTOH whatever happened to BUL, they were a mess at the WCh playing at home, at the euros, and now they beat FRA. maybe their pool (with SRB) is too strong and the other pool too weak?

and SLO beat GER in 5... why did grozer not play?

• watched a little bit of BUL x NED today and NED x SRB the other day... this tournament showing some surprises. NED are a mess, passing is bad and so attack really suffers. OTOH whatever happened to BUL, they were a mess at the WCh playing at home, at the euros, and now they beat FRA. maybe their pool (with SRB) is too strong and the other pool too weak?

and SLO beat GER in 5... why did grozer not play?

Grozer had a minor injury the previous day against Belgium, since this match was not a do-or-die, they decided to rest him for SF

• well, Australia is indeed the most unpredictable team in Asia (or maybe the world ?!) now their fate is not in their hands anymore. Qatar losing to Korea will eliminate them. and Qatar only needs 2 sets to win the group.

and in a normal day, Korea is the favorite against Qatar.

Qatar is 100% in the semifinal

• QAT has mostly players from brazil, balkans and africa... this OPP, geraldo, is new to me, he is an improvement over their previous one. his name sounds brazilian, he's quite good.

KOR might be normally favored over QAT, but they lost to QAT in the 2018 WCh Q...

• I don't know whether Giani made the right decision to use reserves for the match against Slovenia. Fighting for the 1st rank of the pool is not meaningless... I understand his decision to rest Grozer, but he could at least use the other starters for the tie-break.

• The sad news: Zhan Guo-jun, the main setter of Chinese men's NT is injured on his medial knee ligament.

In theory, he won't participate in the rest matches of the qualification of Tokyo Olympics and even Chinese League 19/20.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• I've just checked EuroVolley TV schedule. They only show the schedule of the pool matches, but not semi-final and final. I’ve just subscribed to it anyways.

They don't know the opponents there, so it's natural they haven't announced anything yet. They might even decide to change the starting time if they/the hosts want it. Or the ties because Germany have to play later in the evening even if they finish second. They should show the games on Thursday and Friday, though. Fortunately, they stream it without TV rights restrictions this time, unlike the ECH when they didn't despite us paying for the service.

Back to the exciting match between Bulgaria and France yesterday, does anyone notice that Sokolov had a 3m-line fault at the set point (24:23) of set 1? If it's caught, it would have been a deuce.

No, because Sokolov was in front row.

why isn’t stokr, that’s the question ?

If I recall correctly, Stokr quit the NT some years ago. Not sure if it was an official statement or natural process. He already declined NT participation back in the days when he signed in Asia. The Czechs didn't make a fuss about it because the guy has a family to feed, after all. I just don't know if they stopped calling him up, if he kept declining, or if he just quit.

The Czechs are the only European team that apparently didn't take this qualifier very seriously. Belgium and the Netherlands are also a mess, but at least they summoned the best line-ups available. It's not just Dzavoronok, it's also Hadrava, Finger, Michalek (there but not playing), Bartos. Whereas Michalek is probably injured, I don't think (all) the rest are.

• I don't know whether Giani made the right decision to use reserves for the match against Slovenia. Fighting for the 1st rank of the pool is not meaningless... I understand his decision to rest Grozer, but he could at least use the other starters for the tie-break.

Just one spot (ticket) for Rio.

• well, Australia is indeed the most unpredictable team in Asia (or maybe the world ?!) now their fate is not in their hands anymore. Qatar losing to Korea will eliminate them. and Qatar only needs 2 sets to win the group.

and in a normal day, Korea is the favorite against Qatar.

Qatar is 100% in the semifinal

I always say Australia is a really bad team with only some good opposites (Edgar, Lincoln) and an ok libero. I have no clue how they take sets, let alone matches, against the likes of Poland, Serbia, etc sometimes.

yeah, fromm didn’t play either. not sure if it’d made a difference. neither did krick (just as a blocking sub).