Continental Olympic Qualifier Tokyo 2020

• I don't think Walsh will take a spot. The two setters will be Jay Blankenau and T. Sanders.

The rest of roster looks fine.

• So do we have the official pools now?

Pool A: Japan, Poland, Italy, Canada, Iran, Venezuela

Pool B: Brazil, USA, Russia, Argentina, France, Tunisia

• France is so unlucky with these draws, they're always in the death group.

• I don`t think so.

Backup setter Walsh or Jay?

3rd middle Szwarc or Van Berkel?

4th OH Barnes, Marshall, Derocco?

I want Barnes to make it because he`s young and would gain experience, but Marshall and Derocco are probably ahead of him right now especially because Marshall can play libero too . Same reason why I want Walsh over Jay.

• France is so unlucky with these draws, they're always in the death group.

Pool B is tough, but not that bad for class-A teams. If the same rules apply in 2020, e.g., four teams in each pool will advance to 1/4, France only need to beat Argentina and Tunisia in this group, unless Argentina has some amazing performance to stir the pot.

• Jay is the starter setter for Canada NT throughout the tournament in WCH 2018, while Sanders was his sub. I don't think Walsh has a chance to take over these two. He did not even get a chance in this QOT series.

• Pool B is tough, but not that bad for class-A teams. France only need to beat Argentina and Tunisia to advance to 1/4.

It's extremely similar to their Rio group:

Brazil = Brazil

USA = USA

France = France

Russia = Italy

Argentina = Canada

Tunisia = Mexico

IMO although they would be favorites over ARG I can see France and Russia flopping from this one. I think only Brazil and USA are sure bets to advance.

• Of course we predict the result by the rankings and records. Any team could choke in such a big event. You never know.

• Jay is the starter setter for Canada NT throughout the tournament in WCH 2018, while Sanders was his sub. I don't think Walsh has a chance to take over these two. He did not even get a chance in this QOT series.

Sanders was a sub in the WCH because he was injured, that`s why Jay was starter. But Sanders is still dealing with his back injury and he even ended his season in Poland already due to his back issues. Good thing he can rest until VNL starts. I just hope he`s able to play the whole Olympics.

I do think Jay is ahead of Walsh, but I personally would take Walsh because he`s younger and gaining experience would be important. But if Sanders is still not 100& in Tokyo, then I guess Jay might be a better option. ( But Canada did not play well in the WCH with Jay).

Jay also was injured and had surgery this past summer. I just hope Canada will be healthy for Tokyo, they had so many injuries in 2018 and 2019.

• Pool B is tough, but not that bad for class-A teams. If the same rules apply in 2020, e.g., four teams in each pool will advance to 1/4, France only need to beat Argentina and Tunisia in this group, unless Argentina has some amazing performance to stir the pot.

Like in Rio, France didn't qualify in the quarter since Italy and US decided not to play their best against Canada.

• of course that was on France for relying on the result of others 🙄🙄🙄

• Like in Rio, France didn't qualify in the quarter since Italy and US decided not to play their best against Canada.

Correct me if I'm wrong but USA played their first match in the pool against Canada, risking elimination themselves, while Italy their last when already qualified, and put an exhausted Juantorena on court (though I have no doubt they lost on purpose, but not to eliminate France, rather Brazil)

• same thing whether Brazil or France, it sucked.