2020 Olympic Games - Tokyo (Female)

• The Pools composition according to Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…0%93_Women%27s_tournament

Teams were seeded following the serpentine system according to their FIVB World Ranking as of 29 September 2019.

http://www.fivb.org/en/volleyball/VB_Ranking_W_2019-09.asp

FIVB reserved the right to seed the hosts as head of pool A regardless of the World Ranking.

Rankings are shown in brackets except the hosts who ranked 7th.

Pool A

Japan (Hosts); Serbia (3); Brazil (4); South Korea (9); Dominican Republic (10); Kenya (19)

Pool B

China (1); United States (2); Russia (5); Italy (8); Argentina (11); Turkey (12)

samusama made the almost correct prediction about the pool distribution in Oct 2019, with exception it's Kenya i/o Cameroon that will play in Tokyo:

FIVB World Cup 2019 - Sept. 14 to 29, Japan

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

Edited once, last by samsara ().

• Pool B :sos: no time for the rest except Argentina...

• Russia will be at risk of failing to reach the quarterfinals, their match vs Turkey will be the crucial one for them. If Russia can’t handle the tough serving from Turkey, they will be in big trouble.

For pool A, will be interested to see which two teams out of JPN/ KOR/ DOM to advance.
    The most interesting match in the quarterfinals will be 2nd place in Group A (should be either Brazil or Serbia) vs. Group B 2nd/3rd (can be any teams except Argentina). Maybe a rematch of Brazil vs China in the quarters again?

• Brazil gets any luck in the pool phase one more time. Very bad pool again. :sos: Quaterfinals will be tough like hell, facing a top team, coming from a strong pool and probably reaching their peak performance. At least, our male squad got a good pool. Hard matches since the very beginning. :super:

• Pool B looks like death. China, Italy and US will emerge as the top 3.

Pool A is a bit more doable. Brazil, Serbia and South Korea will emerge as top 3.

Japan playing at home is always super dangerous, so I wouldnt pick South Korea above them.

• Japan playing at home is always super dangerous, so I wouldnt pick South Korea above them.

Yes especially at Olympics. They played tie break against Italy at last WCH for semi finals.

They are dark horse.

• Japan playing at home is always super dangerous, so I wouldnt pick South Korea above them.

South Korea played against Japan on their home court multiple times with a sold out crowd and South Korea still beat them. This is KYK's last chance and I know she'll give it her all. I still have my faith in the South Korean team. Thanks.

• South Korea played against Japan on their home court multiple times with a sold out crowd and South Korea still beat them. This is KYK's last chance and I know she'll give it her all. I still have my faith in the South Korean team. Thanks.

If by multiple times you mean twice, then yeah. I think the weather is blowing a little more clearly for Korea these days than it is for Japan, but Korea did lose their only shot at winning the Asian Champs last year to Japan's B-Team on Korea's home court.

It's going to be a good match which ever way it goes

• If by multiple times you mean twice, then yeah. I think the weather is blowing a little more clearly for Korea these days than it is for Japan, but Korea did lose their only shot at winning the Asian Champs last year to Japan's B-Team on Korea's home court.

It's going to be a good match which ever way it goes

Well, you have to consider how many times they met on Japan's home court in recent years. I'd say 2 is pretty darn good. When South Korea did lose to Japan's B team, that was horrendous, agreed. I think that was a rude awakening for the team for sure.

• Pool B looks like death. China, Italy and US will emerge as the top 3.

Turkey can be dangerous if they are on fire. And I know everyone is doubting Russia, but we never know what form they will show. Only China I think is pretty clear cut and to some extent Italy.

• Turkey can be dangerous if they are on fire. And I know everyone is doubting Russia, but we never know what form they will show. Only China I think is pretty clear cut and to some extent Italy.

Do you know if leagues will start soon? (well, not now, it's not the right time of year)

If leagues don't start then I'd think things would be pretty wild, since everyone has had months to practice.

If they do start then I think maybe USA would get hurt since their covid situation is nowhere near under control and they don't have a domestic volleyball league. Who knows what'd happen to the players if they don't play competitively for a while.

• Do you know if leagues will start soon? (well, not now, it's not the right time of year)

If leagues don't start then I'd think things would be pretty wild, since everyone has had months to practice.

If they do start then I think maybe USA would get hurt since their covid situation is nowhere near under control and they don't have a domestic volleyball league. Who knows what'd happen to the players if they don't play competitively for a while.

USA NT mainstays play their volleyball overseas in Turkey, Italy etc. so I don't think the situation in the US will greatly affect them club-wise.

• Isn't there a travel ban in effect for non essential travel?

I had the same thought as well, but I think it depends on the country.

USA and Turkey have no travel ban with each other so people are allowed to enter even for non essential travel.

• I had the same thought as well, but I think it depends on the country.

USA and Turkey have no travel ban with each other so people are allowed to enter even for non essential travel.

Looks like we will see a lot of usa players in Turkey, since Italy (and most of EU) and China do have nonessential bans in effect

• Technically they would be employees and could travel. Dustin Watten was able to travel to get to Poland. Still leave early, quarantine and get tested as soon as getting to final airport/destination. Japan right now is very strict with foreigners coming into it.

• Turkey can be dangerous if they are on fire. And I know everyone is doubting Russia, but we never know what form they will show. Only China I think is pretty clear cut and to some extent Italy.

With how they're training now, I don't think anyone in their right mind would doubt Russia. They're definitely in it for the glory spot