2020 Olympic Games - Tokyo (Female)

• Wow, that's quite a lot of reaching to play a victim, don't you think? Especially after such a polite post on my part, with nothing actually done to infringe on your ability to post or any other censorship.

In any event, 2 posts is quite enough for me to explain my actions and intent. This particular off-topic discussion ends here, and I can only repeat my earlier warning. Further off-topic posts will be deleted.

• writing is on the wall

• The next 6 months could see major changes in the pandemic situation so I don’t think they should call it off just yet but with the way things are I’d say it looks unlikely to happen and to be honest it’s probably the right call.

• Link to the story here (it’s paywalled). The Times quotes a senior politician within the ruling coalition as saying that there is agreement within government that the games “are doomed” and that Tokyo now hopes to get the 2032 games instead.

Apparently the global winter wave of Covid was the final straw, forcing a state of emergency in Japan’s major cities including Tokyo itself.

This will be the first time an Olympics has ever been cancelled in peacetime.

• This is perhaps the biggest symbolic defeat for humanity of 21st century.

• It would only work without audience.

• Japanese government is refuting the claim

https://www.reuters.com/articl…ancellation-idUSKBN29R0BB

The government is going to try its utmost to get this event to happen this year.

however, current administration in Japan, has done a horrific job (nowhere near the Trump administration). This is from the Mainichi’s English paper. https://mainichi.jp/english/ar…10121/p2a/00m/0na/025000c

japan will not get the vaccine until end of February. You are playing against a shot clock and what’s worse is that these games to run this year will need complete cooperation from other countries and athletes to succeed, with no crowd. Why would a government want to bring in so many people for an event with no chance of bringing in the money expected prior to Covid.

Look I would to see it succeed, but it is a numbers game, and they are not looking good.

how are you going to separate people in the Olympic village? Common dining areas all night long. Volunteers, broadcast teams, transportation, etc. Right now, there are too many variables that have to go right just to have the games. And these does not even take into account if people or teams test positive after arriving.

• The government is going to try its utmost to get this event to happen this year.

however, current administration in Japan, has done a horrific job (nowhere near the Trump administration). This is from the Mainichi’s English paper. https://mainichi.jp/english/ar…10121/p2a/00m/0na/025000c

japan will not get the vaccine until end of February. You are playing against a shot clock and what’s worse is that these games to run this year will need complete cooperation from other countries and athletes to succeed, with no crowd. Why would a government want to bring in so many people for an event with no chance of bringing in the money expected prior to Covid.

Look I would to see it succeed, but it is a numbers game, and they are not looking good.

how are you going to separate people in the Olympic village? Common dining areas all night long. Volunteers, broadcast teams, transportation, etc. Right now, there are too many variables that have to go right just to have the games. And these does not even take into account if people or teams test positive after arriving.

But you are thinking only in japan

Vut you aren't saying that only 50% of sports are qualified,the rest should win their spot yet

And it requires a lot of movement

• Olympics are gone be held this year don’t worry.

It is not going be hard to get vaccine for every athlete in 5th month. Don’t make drama without real facts.

It is not going be hard to get vaccine for every athlete in 5th month. Don’t make drama without real facts.

No no no

I doubt that they force them to do it

They are so many that don't want and reject the vaccine

There are a lot of restrictions as well as political disagreement to this. Do you want certain countries to only allow their teams but other countries won't? It's going to be a real discord.

The situation in Japan with their prefectures citing high records of infections is also a huge concern.

the county not Nation, but county that I live in just said it may not all year to get everyone vaccinated. My county has nearly 500,000 people in it.

there are 11,000 athletes (Rio numbers), say 1-2 coaches/trainers per athlete (May be less in team sports, but just trying a number for scale). 11,000-22,000. And 70,000 volunteers (Rio numbers for Olympics and Paralympic combined). So roughly 92,000-103,000 people to get vaccinated. So if you had 200,000 shots available (need 2 shots), you could in theory get it done in 3 months, if you were all together.

This still doesn’t include transportation/immigration/airport/airlines/hotels (prior to games getting acclimatized and practice). Let alone each country is going to be different. Are some governments letting athletes jump ahead of people (it will happen)?

Japanese government is basically going to force you to have paperwork (I have my shots) done before entering the country for these. As a student I had to have an x-ray for tuberculosis and know my blood type just to get a student visa.That was 25+ years ago and I am pretty sure it did not change. Japan is INCREDIBLY RISK AVERSE, and right now the government keeps yelling to foreigners, “You are bringing this in.” I mean at total of 130,000 people foreigners (0.1% of the entire population of Japan) have arrived since the government reopened the country to some (not all) foreign residents with Japanese visas. Right now, it is not foreigners causing the problems. It is domestic residents.

• we are still not including broadcasting announcers (can be done remotely but loses some of the luster, still I can expect it with just the number of matches or events and countries involved). Not to mention tv camera crews, press as well.