2020 Olympic Games - Tokyo (Female)

• Zé Roberto is going for his fourth Olympic medal as a coach and all 3 so far have been gold. That's insane. The way he put this team together basically last minute... he's an absolute gem. He and Lavarini are my favorite coaches these days, hands down.

Great point. This man is a legend. And to imagine all the shit he got from the fans. Honestly, I know it's mostly online stuff and in reality most people have know idea what's going on, they just want the coach to magically make their team win titles, not taking into consideration all the hard work that's supporting the glory moments.

By the way, an unpopular opinion here, I think: I know the OG are always the greatest, most dramatic competition, but... for 5 years, I've been hearing my fellow Brazilian fans comment on Rio, and how Rio was devastating. and China was such a trauma for us, and 4B business, and stuff. Ok, for sure Rio was a tough pill to swallow. But to me personally, the WCH 2018 was the real heartbreak. In Rio, I wanted and expected the team to move further, but, at the end of the day we were just unlucky to meet the amazing China in the quarterfinals. That's what happened to Russia today. One of the teams had to lose, despite playing fantastic volleyball.

2018 was a whole different story. It was the competition where we lost to various weaker teams and, in sense, where I really feel, not to take away the merit of Japan, Germany, Netherlands... but it's where the feeling, at least for me, is that we were losing to ourselves, and that's what was most frustrating.

Well, ZRG, criticized to death for his choices - and, to be fair, he's made some bad calls, but who hasn't - picked up the pieces, worked his ass off (in the meantime, did a wonderful job in Barueri) and was able to group together this team. I mean, regardless of what happens next, this is commendable.

• Stupid pandemic really messed things up - I'm sure ALL teams would've been more primed and ready to go had the games been held last year. Wouldn't surprise me if some players also thrive and feed off of a live audience which of course they couldn't have this year. Ugh!

• Stupid pandemic really messed things up - I'm sure ALL teams would've been more primed and ready to go had the games been held last year. Wouldn't surprise me if some players also thrive and feed off of a live audience which of course they couldn't have this year. Ugh!

I think Brazil would’ve looked worse last year because Fe Garay had a weak 19/20 club season.

• I see the winning pattern in London Olympics repeating for Brazil. Getting "baptized" by Russia in Quarterfinals and facing an Asian team in semis. No jinxing, but I think Brazil will win this. Should ever USA make it to the finals, they'll be facing a different Brazil. Macris' sets elevates Brazil to a different level. USA is at a disadvantage with Poulter still unable to work the magic she did in Busto. Still, USA is a very likeable team so I won't mind a USA win too. I hope Kim earns at least bronze.

• I see the winning pattern in London Olympics repeating for Brazil. Getting "baptized" by Russia in Quarterfinals and facing an Asian team in semis. No jinxing, but I think Brazil will win this. Should ever USA make it to the finals, they'll be facing a different Brazil. Macris' sets elevates Brazil to a different level. USA is at a disadvantage with Poulter still unable to work the magic she did in Busto. Still, USA is a very likeable team so I won't mind a USA win too. I hope Kim earns at least bronze.

If Korea can't make it to final, i'm afraid Korea will get no medal this year.

• So I guess role reversal for Brazil? Tokyo is Brasil Women’s year and Men’s Team lost. Opposite of what happened in Rio 2016

• I think you're raising a very interesting point here. At the same time, can we honestly say that USA had a truly convincing performance since the Olympics started? I think their best match so far was the one they beat China (I didn't watch their match against Turkey, so I cannot comment). That match was high quality. At the same time, USA based their ofense then primarily on Thompson and, while she was in great form, China had a very poor match blockwise. I think Brazil and Serbia are teams that seem to be a lot more organized in their defensive system. Well, one of the USA's very best weapons is their ability to create different scenarios, they have a deep bench and a lot of offensive options. So far I think the USA, among the final 4, is the team that least played to their full potential. Obviously the Americans have all the ability to turn this tide around and still take home the gold. But I think in order for this to happen they'll need to quickly reach a level of performance they haven't had yet in Tokyo. Anyway, we'll see.

we need MBH to step up, badly. Our OHs are getting 10% more swings than the opposite but aren’t nearly as terminal. Larson is understandably so…. But MBH should be better and with less errors.

if USA are going to win, they need better contribution from her and less errors from the middles. Washington has like 2-3x as many errors in the Olympics as she did in the VNL. Foluke is…. A lost cause

• I know that with statement I’m gone make many of you guys angry but this is why I’m here.

Both USA and Brazil can be happy that top 3 NT are not 100% ready and that they flopped really hard because of their idiotic staffs. Now they have chance to win gold medal but in reality they would out maybe even before semi finals.
    This is by far weakest Olympics and the eaziest to win gold medal.

But history doesn’t care about it at all… Names are gone be written.

• I know that with statement I’m gone make many of you guys angry but this is why I’m here.

Both USA and Brazil can be happy that top 3 NT are not 100% ready and that they flopped really hard because of their idiotic staffs. Now they have chance to win gold medal but in reality they would out maybe even before semi finals.

The USA literally employs Karch Kiraly.

Italy had the chance to hire Lavarini, they chose Mazzanti/Italy should finish first in their pool if its so easy/lost to a team missing 1/3 of their starters

go away.

Italy is a flop because they are a bunch of flops. Italy is all about Egonu and Errorgonu showed up — and the same can happen any time. This is the easiest Olympic to win medals and your fav team FAILED big time because they are THAT weak. They even lost to China’s back up team and got their asses handed to them by Boskovic. Eat your humble pie and go away.

• The USA literally employs Karch Kiraly.

Italy had the chance to hire Lavarini, they chose Mazzanti/Italy should finish first in their pool if its so easy/lost to a team missing 1/3 of their starters

go away.

They should have steal or borrow santarelli from croatia. Most of NT italy are from conegliano. He know these players well.

what's your basis of "top 3" NT?

in world rankings, the top three are USA, brazil, and china. followed by turkey russia, serbia... italy nowhere near top 5. even before the olympics, italy has difficulties defeating the other teams and the last VNL has shown that.

the only surprise in this olympics really is china. the others have ups and downs but not really that surprising.

• Kinda funny because earlier in the competition it was all about “oh Egonu hasnt reached 50% yet and they still win”, “omg Fahr is the best MB”, “oh Bosetti is the best OH”, “Italy proved the friendly match doesn’t show their true potential” but now they FLOPPED BIG TIME all of a sudden “the Top 3 NT are not fully ready”. 2 of the Top 3 NT are playing SF with the other Top 6. bij bye.

• what's your basis of "top 3" NT?

in world rankings, the top three are USA, brazil, and china. followed by turkey russia, serbia... italy nowhere near top 5. even before the olympics, italy has difficulties defeating the other teams and the last VNL has shown that.

the only surprise in this olympics really is china. the others have ups and downs but not really that surprising.

????

maybe in world rankong but italy always crush russia,turkey in importants tournaments