2020 Olympic Games - Tokyo (Female)

• I'd like if people stopped saying Kim is the only one on the Korean team though, yeah she's the world famous one but if not for Park Jeongah stepping up to the plate since Pools Rounds (or since mid-VNLs actually when Soyoung showed why she's not NT calibre), I don't think Kim could've brought this Korean team past the Pool rounds

- but yes, obv she's the one that's crucial and carried the team largely

Heejin came back from a surgery just a little over a month ago, so she definitely she couldn't contribute much, but she was great in past NT matches (World Cup 2019 was my favourite season of Korea NT)

She was still started since there's simply no better player after her, despite all the mistakes she makes

• WGP isn’t major?

it's not. but usually it's a litmus test for teams if they're performing well. so teams underestimating the WGP and even the VNL should re-think their strategy. the best training is battling it out against the top teams in the world and VNL / WGP provides exactly that.

• WGP isn’t major?

No. It is just a tournament played every single year.

Majors: quadrennial ones. Olympics, World Championship and World Cup.

• Italy flopped hard at this tournament but they will absolutely be a contender at all the big events in the next few years. Going forward I’m more worried about Serbia’s place at the top than Italy’s.

• If USA, Turkey, and Brazil can develop a high level team during a pandemic, why others can’t? Seriously asking.

One possible answer is your team isn’t that good to begin with.

TRUE. And USA and Brazil has the most cases during the pandemic and yet they were able to develop a high level team.

• Anyway I'm so glad that we're getting Brazil vs USA in the finals!
    The two most consistent teams this entire tournament, and teams that played as a team rather than relying on a star player.

Teams with good bench players as well - so even if their coach messes up... haha

Honestly been disappointed in the level of play/inconsistency this entire Olympics so I'm glad to have a good finals to look forward to, hope both teams can amp up the level and do even better compared to the VNLs (which was pretty great)

• Well, before WCH 2014, USA had not won any single gold medal in a major tournament. And I think that nobody would say they were not a powerhouse in this sport before that first gold.

I kind of agree with this. USA had a long reconstruction under Lang Ping and McCutcheon. They made it to 2 olympic finals and won 2 silver medals. They also won few NORCECA and World Grand Prix titles. Somehow they were stuck in the middle between powerhouse wannabe teams like Italy and real titans like Brazil until the 2014 world championship gold medal. I mean they proved to be able to win a major tournament many times before ending up as world champions in 2014, which is exactly what teams like Italy didn't show so far. On the other hand Brazil and China may fail a single tournament and they did (Brazil in 2016 and China this year), but you always know they'll be there to fight for the title in the next tournament because they have mentality, consistency and resiliency.

• If both USA and Brazil play at their best, USA will win.

One key for Brazil to win is to destroy USA's reception with tough serves like they did in London. But we know that this is a tough task considering that USA's receivers top the stats (compared to in 2012 where Davis and young Larson/Hodge had shaky reception). It will be difficult for Brazil to determine who to direct their serves at. Best they can do is load them serves up.

If they can also figure out how to neutralize Thompson (VNL 2019), Drew (VNL 2021) and MBH (VNL 2021), maybe they'll have a chance at at least equalizing the game.

Brazil's lineup with the new opposite hasn't been tested against top teams. OTOH, this may bring positive changes that may surprise the other team.

Hoping for a grand end to the games from these 2 teams.

• In 2012 I was cheering for Brazil in the QF against Russia, and it bite me in the end.. This year I found myself cheering for Brazil once again, and I was glad they defeated Russia and will play in the final.. I just hope this time around USA finally gets that gold!

• I kind of agree with this. USA had a long reconstruction under Lang Ping and McCutcheon. They made it to 2 olympic finals and won 2 silver medals. They also won few NORCECA and World Grand Prix titles. Somehow they were stuck in the middle between powerhouse wannabe teams like Italy and real titans like Brazil until the 2014 world championship gold medal. I mean they proved to be able to win a major tournament many times before ending up as world champions in 2014, which is exactly what teams like Italy didn't show so far. On the other hand Brazil and China may fail a single tournament and they did (Brazil in 2016 and China this year), but you always know they'll be there to fight for the title in the next tournament because they have mentality, consistency and resiliency.

More than agree or disagree, it is just checking a fact. One thing is an opinion, another is a fact. Before WCH 2014 gold medal, USA had not won any single major tournament. And I strongly believe that any single volleyball fan would say they were not a powerhouse.

Another example: before Beijing 2008, Brazil had not won any major tournament yet. Would someone have said they were not a powerhouse in this sport? Of course not. Before that gold medal, Brazil had 2 bronze medal in Olympics and 2 silvers in WCH. Would someone have dared to call them wannabe team? I dont think so.

Italy won twice one of those major tournaments, they have 1 gold medal and one silver medal in WCH. The other "B" teams could only dream of that. Hence, just because there is super biased user who hypes Italy in an obnoxious way doenst mean I have to deny the facts.

Otherwise, I would be falling in the same mistake that user does.

• Korea vs Serbia 9am local time

Brazil vs USA 1:30 pm local time

I'll be able to see both matches, great time for a change :love:

• Not Brazil in yet another Olympic final lmfaooo

At this point I don't even care if we only get a silver medal, I'm just glad we're back on the top and can rest easy just for a bit knowing that despite everything, Brazilian volleyball is still alive. No other nation has both the men's and women's team in the top 4 of the Olympics. We're still a powerhouse, we're still one of the titans, and despite the defeats (both inside and outside the court), we're still very much worthy of respect. I'm beyond thankful for Zé and these players, regardless of their age, for all the work they put into making us great.

• hosdrorhfvljf7slfy1y.jpg

pgw6iz7azynvny5uakj4.jpg

Pity I didnt find any Fe Garay close up pic.