2020 Olympic Games - Tokyo (Female)

• Also can I ask you a fair question? How are Serbia and Italy considered being The Big 3, but USA and Brazil are not..

Not trying to take anything away from Serbia, they’ve done great things and have accomplished so much. Such a small country, from the Balkans, producing world class athletes, not only in volleyball, but in every single sport.. that stuff’s incredible. Also if we compare the conditions and opportunities those players have, with someone the likes of USA, China, it’s even more impressive. They’ve been investing for a long time, and since coming to the international scene have had some good matches/tournaments and made sone fuss. However their real success on the international scene has been these last what 4-5 years, when they’ve won the WCH and silver in Rio. With some of their veterans retiring I don’t see such a bright future for them.. sure they have many talents, and I’m convinced they’ll stay competitive and win some competitions here and there, but won’t be no where dominant as they’ve been until now.. So how is a team that has had success that has lasted for roughly one quadrennial considered A Big 3 member, but teams like USA, being in the F4 in the Olympics for 4th straight time.. that means 13 years, and Brazil who we’ve watched play in the finals even in 2004 are not? My point is it’s sports, and winners and placements change depending on many factors, but lasting for so many years, being in the top, surely means something..

• And also thus translates to players too.. there are many examples of incredible players, having great tournaments and then disappearing after few years.. for many reasons of course. Wang Yimei, she was destroying the court in 2008, nobody could stop her, and then she disappeared, became a shadow of herself in 2010. Why is that? Because of injuries, overworking, not taking care of her health.. while some injuries are really unfortunate and can destroy players’ carrer, something like that can be prevented, if you work smart. Logan Tom, one of the greatest, a legend, she has always been on top, and has lasted so much because she made smart choices.. so to be a legend and considered one of the GOAT you have to last.. Destinee was amazing for like 2-3 years and then? You have to stay on the top to be one of the best

• Also can I ask you a fair question? How are Serbia and Italy considered being The Big 3, but USA and Brazil are not..

Not trying to take anything away from Serbia, they’ve done great things and have accomplished so much. Such a small country, from the Balkans, producing world class athletes, not only in volleyball, but in every single sport.. that stuff’s incredible. Also if we compare the conditions and opportunities those players have, with someone the likes of USA, China, it’s even more impressive. They’ve been investing for a long time, and since coming to the international scene have had some good matches/tournaments and made sone fuss. However their real success on the international scene has been these last what 4-5 years, when they’ve won the WCH and silver in Rio. With some of their veterans retiring I don’t see such a bright future for them.. sure they have many talents, and I’m convinced they’ll stay competitive and win some competitions here and there, but won’t be no where dominant as they’ve been until now.. So how is a team that has had success that has lasted for roughly one quadrennial considered A Big 3 member, but teams like USA, being in the F4 in the Olympics for 4th straight time.. that means 13 years, and Brazil who we’ve watched play in the finals even in 2004 are not? My point is it’s sports, and winners and placements change depending on many factors, but lasting for so many years, being in the top, surely means something..

The idea of Serbia, Italy and China being a “big 3” is clearly not based on historic success. I think these teams looked far superior to the field in 2018 and seemed to continue this kind of dominance in 2019 and that is all that this idea is based on. The perception for some people was that not much would’ve changed between then and now but clearly that’s not the case.

I also think some people are using “big 3” not to refer to the teams but just to Zhu, Boskovic and Egonu who seem to be clearly established as the biggest weapons in the game.

by big 3 i meant the individuals (Zhu/Bosko/Egonu)

ps 04 finals was Russia/China, Brazil played for bronze with Cuba

• Actually, any European team hasnt acquired the most paramount accolade in OG since back in the 80´s. The last time Europe landed gold in OG for women in volleyball was when Soviet Union defeated Peru in the final of Seoul Olympics in 1988. Among the current independent European nations, not a single one of them has ever won a gold medal in Olympic Games for women (i.e since 1964). Neither Turkey nor Serbia nor any other nation has ever won it. Hungary was fairly close, reached the semis, in the 80s and Poland as well as Bulgaria landed at least one medal back in the 60-70´s, yet none accomplished the first place. Now, we have to wait until Paris 2024 in order to see in case the curse once and for all might be broken.

Btw, since USA hitherto is devoid of gold medals in OG-volley for women and the sport was invented in the country during the late 19th century, it would be legit to state in a sense, with a reference to the football song written for the English NT soccer team in 1996, that "volleyball´s coming home" in case they finally prevail and snatch the title now. With this being said, I am aware of the fact that they have won several times in the men´s competition.

• I see many people consider the USA to be the favorites. Based on the last meetings between these two teams, they really are, but considering the performances in the Olympics, I’m not so sure.

Both teams have an incredible reception line, so I think both setters will play with a good pass, and that’s where they can make a difference. If Poulter continues to ignore her middles or try to set them but have a poor connection, I think the USA can be in trouble. Unless, of course, JT is able to play and deliver a stunning performance, just like she was doing before the injury.

Perhaps a good strategy for Brazil is to serve on MBH, even though she is the best passer, since is her 1st Olympic Games and focus on the block on the opposites, since the middles are not getting too many balls.

For the USA, I think they can serve hard between Brait and Garay (if I’m not wrong, they did this in VNL final) and count on a good performance from JWO to make great digs on Gabi’s and Garay’s attacks and give them the chance to counterattack.

Overall I think it has all the potencial to be a great and open match, just like VNL final, and I don’t really think there’s a favorite or an underdog.

• USA will most likely use the same serving strategy that they did against Serbia.

They served almost exclusively zones 1 and 5. This disrupts the setter and the attacking OH and makes routes for the middles more difficult (if served effectively)

Fe is going to get (or should get) all of the serves.

• USA will most likely use the same serving strategy that they did against Serbia.

They served almost exclusively zones 1 and 5. This disrupts the setter and the attacking OH and makes routes for the middles more difficult (if served effectively)

Fe is going to get (or should get) all of the serves.

I've often thought "where" you serve was at least almost as critical as "who" you serve to, but I didn't know why. This illuminates it a bit. Thanks

• I've often thought "where" you serve was at least almost as critical as "who" you serve to, but I didn't know why. This illuminates it a bit. Thanks

Yup, it's really interesting to visualize (if you get the data behind it)

If you serve zone one, that can jam the opposite and the middle.

If you serve zone five, you can disrupt the attacking OH as well take out the middle blocker's attack with a poor/average pass along with making the setter go against the flow to get to the opposite.

USA was tactically on point last night.

• I’m cheering for USA just because Brazil has won two gold medals in near past.

But I repeat this is the worst Olympics ever. I haven’t enjoy in single match and I haven’t watch high level matches at all. This is so sad.

Some VNL matches were more interesting…

• Brazilian narrators were talking about how Zé Roberto was responsible for bringing KYK to Fenerbahce years ago and it was quite interesting lol They said Zé went to Fener's scout/manager and told them to get some videos of Kim and to get her from Korea because he believed she was gonna be one of the best players in the world after watching her play in the NT beforehand. Then the guys from Fener got videos from the wrong Kim, tried to get Zé to give up on the idea, but then he wouldn't budge and told them they got it all wrong lol.

• Brazilian narrators were talking about how Zé Roberto was responsible for bringing KYK to Fenerbahce years ago and it was quite interesting lol They said Zé went to Fener's scout/manager and told them to get some videos of Kim and to get her from Korea because he believed she was gonna be one of the best players in the world after watching her play in the NT beforehand. Then the guys from Fener got videos from the wrong Kim, tried to get Zé to give up on the idea, but then he wouldn't budge and told them they got it all wrong lol.

Unfortunately, that might be true lol they were also offered Zhu years ago but manager said they wouldn’t have her because Asian players cannot adapt to European style volleyball. It sounds like a joke because they had Kim in the team and she carried then for years.