2020 Olympic Games - Tokyo (Female)

• Those questions don't necessarily determine if it was a good match or not. In 2018 it felt that every strong team played the best they could or at least reasonably close. 2021 just didn't feel like it.

• One definitely does not have to think of a good match in the way you listed out

Since when was sports enjoyed by the results instead of the actual process/gameplay???

If the results of a match alone is what makes volleyball good for you (your list is entirely reliant on results) then thats your definition alone - you're free to think that way, but we are not obliged to agree to that lol

We are fans/ viewers who actually watch the match, not journalists who need an exciting scoreline to write about

A match could have had an expected result with a clean sweep with 3-0, but if the gameplay was intense with amazing spikes, digs or rallies, it could still have been way more interesting than a draggy 3-2 unexpected match result stemming from poor errors or from both teams playing just as badly

(i.e. In the KOR v DOM 5 set match, both teams made 29 errors each, which meant >2 entire sets were played from errors, it was a pain to watch despite being unexpected with long sets

The USA vs Brazil match with expected results and a clean sweep was still more interesting to watch - VNL finals was more interesting/less one-sided than the Olympic finals however)

• This a Brazilian soccer team question, do you like artistic play? Or is German soccer with technical precision?

Then throw in some tactical thought and park the bus after a goal is scored.

Love defensive play by Japan and you know what, against bigger teams, it helps them survive, but often times it is a futile existence against bigger opponents.

• Empty Arena played a role

• well its not like most of the players were playing in front of fans before the Olympics. they should be used to it

off topic: what's the most attended volleyball match, anyone know?

not 100% sure but I think it was between Poland and Serbia in 2014 ( World Championship oprning game ). 62 000 people were there.

• not 100% sure but I think it was between Poland and Serbia in 2014 ( World Championship oprning game ). 62 000 people were there.

At ECH 2017 opening match, the same rivals, even more, around 65,000

https://www-old.cev.eu/Competi…hStatistics.aspx?ID=29663

• Look what I was able to pick up with Nwayplay, NFTs that are with the Olympics (the people that run NBA TopShot are part of this).

You had to have bought them during the games. This one spins around, the ball also spins around and the eyes blink.

• My God JWO performed just okej, nothing special and for you guys She is the best player in ISA because She went from terrible libero to good one.

Literally every single defence from her was “WOOOW JWO, go girl” on this forum.

The most overrated player from Olympics, like ever. :what::what:

She performed good but She is not even near to be the best player in USA.

Sorry for of topic but I just couldn’t read this ones again. :gone::gone:

JWO was the USA's best player. Watch the USA compete against any top team with Krob, Courtney, Benson, or Banwarth at libero and then you may appreciate how great JWO was.

Who was the top ranked passer in the whole Olympics? Oh right, JWO.

Who was the third ranked digger? Oh right, JWO (Malova and Oh were ahead btw, De Gennaro was miles behind)

Who was the USA's best player then?

You can sit in your salty puddle with your sad opinions.

Sorry, that may have been mean. but come for JWO and :whistle::lol:

• Crovolley complaining about users over-hyping their faves - the irony is off the scale. :rolll::rolll::rolll:

• My God JWO performed just okej, nothing special and for you guys She is the best player in ISA because She went from terrible libero to good one.

Guuurl bye

First of all, if you say JWO was not the best player of USA, I think you should also say who is the best for you and why.

It is good that you pointed out that she went from a terrible libero to a good (really good-excellent) one. This fact just shows how important her growth and development were key for the USA success in Tokyo.

For me, USA had not had a decent - high level libero since Sykora. Nor Miyashiro, Davis, Banwarth, Robinson and pre VNL-Tokyo JWO were close to Stacy level. USA has struggled in that position in the last years. Hence, JWO performance was determinant for the gold. As well as it was pointed out, she was in the top of the rankings in her position.

We know liberos dont score, but there were countless rallies were USA won the point thanks to JWO defence. As well as she didnt collapse in reception in the clutch moments, as many USA libero has done before. She was without a doubt the most consistent USA player in Tokyo. The next one is Larson (who was a well deserved MVP) too. But Jordan wasnt so regular as JWO. Her matches against Russia and Italy were :wavy:

But at the same time, I strongly believe she didnt outplayed Moki. Unlike JWO, Moki has already set herself as a top libero (the best one) in the last tournaments. Chosen best libero in the last two WCH, multilple awards in Italian league, CL, ECH, between the best ranked in different intercontinental competitions, etc. I think JWO is in the good way of consolidating as one of the best players in her position, but first she has to be regular (consistent). After two superb tournaments, she has to show she can keep the level in the upcoming competitions.

• No one thinks JWO is better than de Gennaro

but JWO was better than de Gennaro at the Olympics

Agree! The top liberos of the OG for me were JWO and Malova. Solid but not spectacular like the other two was Brait. Career span wise and accolades, DeGenaro has been solid for a long time - and I still think she's the best. I think a usual confusion people assume is how a player's entire career is reflective of an Olympic performance. Yes it is the most important game of their career but a lot of different things come in to play. Timing being one of them.

Me thinks that had the OGs not been postponed, JWO's growth may have been premature, and she would't be performing like gold in the OGs like she did. Same goes for other teams. A healthy Mijhalovic and not-pregnant Veljkovic would have spelled it different for Serbia. Had Arina Federovtsova not shown what she got in VNL she wouldn't have made it to the cut in the OG roster. I know these things can be planned as professional athletes, but some things can just be out of our control.

And no crovolley, if we're talking about one that it's overhyped, it's not JWO. It's that one team...

• How can someone be labelled “overhyped” when she consistently deliver every single matches? If Larson wasnt Larson, the MVP might go to JWO.

THE IRONY OF CALLING SOMEONE OVERYHYPE WHEN WE ALL WATCHED THAT ONE TEAM CRUMBLE APART DESPITE HAVING THE “BEST OPP, BEST MBs, BEST OHs”

GURL BYE