2020 Olympic Games - Tokyo (Female)

• Is everyone ready to watch another Oscar deserved movie between Serbia and Japan? I'm curious how good it will be?

I guess it can't be better than what they did in 2012 Olympic Qualification Tournament. But it might be better than WCH'18.

Ps; I guess Japan-Serbia will play in last day of group phase. Serbia will already ensure first place in the pool...?

• Is everyone ready to watch another Oscar deserved movie between Serbia and Japan? I'm curious how good it will be?

I guess it can't be better than what they did in 2012 Olympic Qualification Tournament. But it might be better than WCH'18.

Ps; I guess Japan-Serbia will play in last day of group phase. Serbia will already ensure first place in the pool...?

I've only seen the WCH'2018 one but damn,that was such a bad acting performance.Even the commentator was confused as hell,as to what exactly he was watching. It's sad because Japan is a good team and has many likeable players,and Serbia is...well, Serbia. It's not like they can't win on their own ability....

• I've only seen the WCH'2018 one but damn,that was such a bad acting performance.Even the commentator was confused as hell,as to what exactly he was watching. It's sad because Japan is a good team and has many likeable players,and Serbia is...well, Serbia. It's not like they can't win on their own ability....

Serbia still has Brazil in their pool, I dont think that they will do it this time. But anyway, Japan will face a very serious team in the QF and thats a fact.

Yes they will play last day because they're nos 1 and 2 in group. Same should be for China and USA in group b

In Rio, Serbia lost the final match for the Netherlands in 3-2 and Boskovic did not play whole match.

Boskovic also did not play against Puerto Rico.

And those matches did not help or screwed any other team. And did not influence any final results, or helped Japan.

Terzic does what's best for his team.

So yeah. If Serbia has secured first place, does not expect Boskovic to play against Japan.

• Does anyone know if China could avoid Brazil if Netherlands were defeated by Serbia in Rio 2016?

• Does anyone know if China could avoid Brazil if Netherlands were defeated by Serbia in Rio 2016?

No, China would have been fourth anyway. Netherlands-Serbia was first on schedule of the last day of group stage, which meant the one who wins it, will face South Korea and the one who loses will face loser from Brazil-Russia match, so Brazil and Russia had an option to choose between China and Serbia for qf.

• No, China would have been fourth anyway. Netherlands-Serbia was first on schedule of the last day of group stage, which meant the one who wins it, will face South Korea and the one who loses will face loser from Brazil-Russia match, so Brazil and Russia had an option to choose between China and Serbia for qf.

Actually this is not true, and real reason for Serbia playing against Netherlands with combined roster is that in Olympic it is not important being second or third in group because of this rule:

The first ranked teams of both pools played against the fourth ranked teams of the other pool. The second ranked teams faced the second or third ranked teams of the other pool, determined by drawing of lots. The drawing of lots was held after the last match in the preliminary round.

• The last time the lots drew A2/B2 and A3/B3 was at Beijing 2008.

Pool A Pool B
    1. Cuba 1. Brazil
    2. USA
    2. Italy
    3. China 3. Russia
    4. Japan 4. Serbia
    5. Poland 5. Kazakhstan
    6. Venezuela 6. Algeria

Quarterfinals:

Cuba - Serbia

USA - Italy

China - Russia

Japan - Brazil

• to be honest,In rio.CHN vs USA match was later than Ned vs Serbia.Seibia lost to Ned 2:3 had ensured their 3 place in group.And even China won USA,they still was forth place.After rio,JENNY was interviewed by medias.She said Ned and Serbia had played the tacit ball.Eourope sisters are united. It is just like when CHN vs BRA,thailand and Japan hoped China conld win.Also CHN everytime got a ticket early,because they can give a spot for asian sisters.Because in rio,Brasil was totally No 1.the match of CHN vs BRA is an example that weak team won strong team.Lang Ping used all her cards . after losing set2, Brasil players were nervous and the booing of their people to China players made much pressure on them. If China met Brasil in Final match,China would lose.for Olympics,SF is a macth equals 2 matches.because winners will ensure a medal.So China vs Netherland and USA vs Serbia matchs were tougher than the final.After China and Serbia went to Final,Lang said she had more confidence to win the final.Because Serbia never played OG final.Terzic had no experience.that match is similar with the OQ match TUR vs GER a fer days ago When 2 teams are at the similar level,the coaches are the most important. After losing 1 set,Chinese players limited Mihjalovic very well.then the whole serbia team began to be nervous.so did Maja.you guys can look at her face. thats why popovic received badly and Rasic gave China the gold medal match point.Terzic cant keep his players clam.

for tokyo,China never met Popvic(mb).so She will be a good card for serbia to beat China.For others,they wont Change too much.Also ,Italy 's problem is if bosetti can recover well.if she can recover, the whole team are formed. For China,their third MB,second setter, second OS are still problems.I dont know if Jenny will train several new players or just keep the same team of World Cup.

• S.Popovic was the one that gave China Gold Medal Point.

Rasic took over 4th set and brought Serbia back to tie the game late, but lost 25-23.

Since Rio, Serbian players have played in may many important games in club and nt. They gained a lot of experience. If they face China in Tokyo, things will be very different and Serbia won`t feel like such a underdog. After Serbia won against NED in the WCH, Maja asked who they wanted to play in the WCH final?, and Maja said CHINA..... Serbia is not scared of China anymore.

In Rio Mihajlovic and Malesevic had no backups. Nikolic was way past her prime and Busa was still very young. Now they have a more experience Busa, Blagojevic, Milenkovic and Lazovic.

In the Final, Hui and Xu Yunli played great and helped Zhu a lot...But they are not there anymore. So who is gonna help Zhu?

• that was sort of crazy as ITA was ranked #2 in the world at the time but got eliminated at QF... OTOH would they have beaten CHN at home? we'll never know. also amazing back then, CUB disintegrating during semis after finishing first in the group.

JPN is very lucky, they're always in the easiest group, even though they are not the hosts (2008, 2012 and 2016)...

i'm just glad KEN and ARG are not in the same group...

• Li Yingying is a new hopeful. Gong has improved her reception greatly since 2016 from having almost no reception so China can free up Zhu (I think she only takes 3 or 4 rounds of reception these days). Ding has gotten more stable and Yuan is better at block and attack too. Wang Mengjie is a great defender but she can't cover for the attackers in reception, like Popovic and Malesevic can have a 2 woman reception system.

Honestly, Hui's stats were not very good in Rio (but she did play well vs Serbia). I think Zhang is like Hui, but physically stronger attack and weaker reception.

What's interesting to me is that in Rio, Serbia had a starting 6+libero that they did not change much, whereas China had one starter for sure and the other 5 were a toss up. In the WC in 2019, China had 7 starting players for every single game (+ Li Yingying) but now Serbia has more options in OH2 and both middles, although Milajlovic, Ognejovic (sorry can't spell her name) and of course Boskovic will definitely start. So it will be interesting to see the types of roster change.

Either way, China and Serbia haven't played full-strength since the 2016 final and they have developed a lot in the last two years. I hope they meet in the final.

• that was sort of crazy as ITA was ranked #2 in the world at the time but got eliminated at QF... OTOH would they have beaten CHN at home? we'll never know. also amazing back then, CUB disintegrating during semis after finishing first in the group.

JPN is very lucky, they're always in the easiest group, even though they are not the hosts (2008, 2012 and 2016)...

i'm just glad KEN and ARG are not in the same group...

This was Italy's biggest chance to advance to the semifinals and maybe advance to the gold medal match. However Aguero's mom had passed away only a few days before they travelled to Beijing and everything got messed up. Also Del Core couldn't go to the Olympics because of her heart condition. They were so unlucky. I Always believed that Brazil and Italy would be in the final. In 2012 they had another chance because they got Korea in the quarterfinals but there was a lot of drama going on.

• This was Italy's biggest chance to advance to the semifinals and maybe advance to the gold medal match. However Aguero's mom had passed away only a few days before they travelled to Beijing and everything got messed up. Also Del Core couldn't go to the Olympics because of her heart condition. They were so unlucky. I Always believed that Brazil and Italy would be in the final. In 2012 they had another chance because they got Korea in the quarterfinals but there was a lot of drama going on.

Not to mention Brazil played the best women’s volleyball at that time - storming through everyone til the final.

The drama in 2012 was the one involving Piccinini? I kinda remember this one, too. Although I must say Piccinini did all she can to help Italy when she stepped into the court. KYK & co were just playing well that time.

• Lang Ping's probable trump card is Li Yingying but it really depends on whether she plays as OH or she switches her to pos 2.

We never saw her play as full time opposite so that's something to consider.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney