2020 Olympics - Tokyo, Japan

• Of course the best match so far had to be between the two best technical teams. :whistle:

France will upset someone at QF and I'm living for it.

• If Brazil had lost this match, would have been there a chance for being 4th? I thought that before the match, they were in contention from the 1st to 3rd spot.

France will be 4th no matter which will be the result between Argentina x USA. So we officially have the first QF: Polska x France.

• France will upset someone at QF and I'm living for it.

Let's manifest this :teach:

• If Brazil had lost this match, would have been there a chance for being 4th? I thought that before the match, they were in contention from the 1st to 3rd spot.

France will be 4th no matter which will be the result between Argentina x USA. So we officially have the first QF: Polska x France.

It'd go to point average and I think Brazil has better numbers than France.

• Can Argentina PLEASE just pull another 2014 WCH against the USA and make this even more interesting, it's not too much to ask

I was in the way to write about this match. If Im not wrong, Argentina was already eliminated, while USA still playing for a spot in the final6.

Argentina won it in 5, Facundo Conte was a monster in that match.

• I was in the way to write about this match. If Im not wrong, Argentina was already eliminated, while USA still playing for a spot in the final6.

Argentina won it in 5, Facundo Conte was a monster in that match.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened! It was insane, Conte was unbelievable. Crazy to think that happened 7 years ago already.

• Can Argentina PLEASE just pull another 2014 WCH against the USA and make this even more interesting, it's not too much to ask

I want to see Argentina win an important game for ONCE in my life. I couldn't watch Sydney 2000 and I was not born before 1988.

• Poland 3:0 France in ECH 2019 bronze metal match.

Boyer's so off in that match, which was the main reason they got beaten.

Now with Patry as a starter, let's see how they play against Poland.

• I want to see Argentina win an important game for ONCE in my life. I couldn't watch Sydney 2000 and I was not born before 1988.

Dude, from your posts I know you seem to be feeling down with their performance so far, but I really really really hope they manage to do it this time. These guys deserve it and I'd love to see 2 South Americans in the QFs. I'll be rooting for you guys.

• Yeah, that's exactly what happened! It was insane, Conte was unbelievable. Crazy to think that happened 7 years ago already.

Funny part is that I was watching this game live, I was a strong supporter of Argentinian volleyball back then, a whole arena was supporting Argentina, it was indeed insane. :)

But I don't think that the upset will happen here, unfortunately Conte is out of shape for majority of this year's NT season, but maybe he'll find his old self in the best moment possible. If not, I don't think Lima-Palacios duo will be enough to make it happen, even though they're really good (not only) for their standards in Tokyo.

• I want to see Argentina win an important game for ONCE in my life. I couldn't watch Sydney 2000 and I was not born before 1988.

Crossing fingers for Argentina too :win:

Nothing against USA, they are indeed a very likeable team, but I do really hope Argentina could pull the upset. I aslo consider it is very difficult, but who knows. If they manage to play as against Brazil (in the first 2 sets and part of the 4th and 5th), they could manage to put pressure on USA.

What bothers me is that Mendez Jr is just a tourist here. I have seen almost all Argentinian matches and I dont remember he has come into. Nor serving or for a reception round. Jan Martinez would have contribuited much much more.

• Btw. this 2nd set was the 2nd-longest set ever played in male volleyball at the Olympics (40-38 from Italy-Argentina in Sydney is a record).

Group A

1. Poland

2. Italy

3. Iran/Japan

4. Canada

Group B

1. Russia

2. Brazil

3. USA/Argentina

4. France

So entertaining to have two elimination games in the last day of a group phase.

I just hope we'll get Italy-USA/Argentina and Brazil-Iran/Japan quarterfinals, although I'm aware that in case of Japan advancing there's some probability that a drawing won't be 100% fair, those QFs would be the most fair considering seeding in a group phase, and US-Italy with France-Poland game would be so entertaining. I don't think there would be fight between Italy and Brazil, and this crazy streak of Italy who made a medal phase at every Olympics since Atlanta would come to an end, since '98 they won like ... once against Brazil on WCH/WC/OG level.

• i got exhausted after that game. I dont want to see another volleyball game in a few hours. 😭But ill surely watch USA vs Argentina. 🤣😂

• I just hope we'll get Italy-USA/Argentina and Brazil-Iran/Japan quarterfinals, although I'm aware that in case of Japan advancing there's some probability that a drawing won't be 100% fair, those QFs would be the most fair considering seeding in a group phase, and US-Italy with France-Poland game would be so entertaining. I don't think there would be fight between Italy and Brazil, and this crazy streak of Italy who made a medal phase at every Olympics since Atlanta would come to an end, since '98 they won like ... once against Brazil on WCH/WC/OG level.

Well, Italy is very much used to eliminating the USA in the Olympics (QFs in London, SFs in Rio), so they could very well do it once more and make it to the medal phase again. :lol:

• Russia and Italy have been the only teams which have made a medal phase in a row since Atlanta 1996 :!:

• Russia and Italy have been the only teams which have made a medal phase since Atlanta 1996 :!:

Yup, they are, male tournaments aren't too messy considering that Brazil has played in every final since Athens, Italy and Russia have played in every semifinal since Atlanta, and US made medals in Beijing and Rio.

The last country who won a medal beside this four is Yugoslavia in Sydney, so I hope Poland will make it through finally.

Interestingly, Russia plays with their starters against Tunisia.

• I would like to see Tunisia in the VNL. They look way more competitive than Australia for example or the Bulgaria team which played in Rimini.

Pity there is no African team in that tournament.