2020 Olympics - Tokyo, Japan

• That's not true. The draw started in Beijing and it actually led to 2x2 and 3x3. China x Russia (3) and USA x Italy (2).

I was in the way to reply the same. But he wrote since London 2012.

Beijing 2008 was indeed :gone: Italy and USA played the only QF decided in 5 sets. Actually, it was the only match in the knock out stage decided in tie-break

• We've had this draw since 2012 and I believe so far we have NEVER seen 2v2 and 3v3 as the outcome in either men's or women's!

That's 5 coin flips in a row and always the same face coming up, really curious...

Also you do know that the odds are always the same (50%) if you flip a coin 1 time or 100000 times, right?!

• My predictions for the semis:

BRASIL x ROC

ITALY x FRANCE

• Btw. this is interesting that Italy and Argentina played two official friendlies shortly before Olympics, because they both probably didn't expect that they'll chance to play against each other in Tokyo - and here we are, both have chance to amazing result by getting into SF by beating each other. And it's funny that despite a fact Italy won 3-1 first game, Argentina could have won it 3-0.

Poland-Italy

ROC-Brasil

Poland-Brasil

Poland winning a gold, Russia winning a bronze, that's my prediction.

• The only team which I see in the SFi is Brazil. Then comes Russia (easier if Mikhaylov is on, cuz so far he hasnt found his VNL shape yet) and the last two QFs are wide open for me.

Argentina win is a huge help for the other teams. They eliminated USA and force two favourites (Poland x France) to play each other.

• The second was a match of substitutes I believe.

I think ARG will do a great match again but ultimately lose. Don't think Italy play great volleyball but they have clutch players and their serve will be really tough for our team if they don't miss much.

• The second was a match of substitutes I believe.

I think ARG will do a great match again but ultimately lose. Don't think Italy play great volleyball but they have clutch players and their serve will be really tough for our team if they don't miss much.

Yes, it was.

Italy has a major problem in serving in Tokyo, but Juantorena looks to be in really great shape, so I am afraid of another 'beautiful loss' of Argentina, like against Brazil, because that's Osmany Juantorena, he can single-handedy can drag his team through. Although if Argentina wants to get some great result finally, and that would be making a semifinal of OG, they won't get any better chance in a while. I get Sydney vibes a bit.

• Can anyone please translate with De Cecco said during the timeout? :)

If I am not wrong, it was 15-13 for USA in the third set. Once Mendez finished to give the tactics, De Cecco said this: "Hey, no vamos a cerrar nada ahora, tenemos que tener paciencia, es largo. Pero juguemos convencidos , no vayamos a mitad, boludos, somos Argentina. Vamos convencidos, juguemos nuestro juego, vamos vamos".

It is something like: "Hey, we have to be patient, it is long! (the match). But we have to play with confidence in ourselves. We cant play at half speed (half-arsed). We are Argentina, let's play with confidence! Let's play our game, come on, come on!

Boludos is hard to translate :D It depends on the context. It literally means "jerk" but in this case, it would be like "dudes".

• If I am not wrong, it was 15-13 for USA in the third set. Once Mendez finished to give the tactics, De Cecco said this: "Hey, no vamos a cerrar nada ahora, tenemos que tener paciencia, es largo. Pero juguemos convencidos , no vayamos a mitad, boludos, somos Argentina. Vamos convencidos, juguemos nuestro juego, vamos vamos".

It is something like: "Hey, we have to be patient, it is long! (the match). But we have to play with confidence in ourselves. We cant play at half speed (half-arsed). We are Argentina, let's play with confidence! Let's play our game, come on, come on!

Boludos is hard to translate :D It depends on the context. It literally means "jerk" but in this case, it would be like "dudes".

Many thanks!

• Good drawn for Brazil. Japanese team is dangerous. But be in the other side (France , Poland, Argentina and Italy) was better.

Brazil already lost to Russia. But if they want to be champions, they must to be stronger.

• OT, language question.

How do you pronounce Luciano De Cecco?

Lu-SEE-ano or Lu-CHI-ano?

CHE-co or SEC-co?

In Spanish (Latin America pronunciation), it is pronounced Lu - SEE- ano. In Italian, Lu - CHI - ano. (like chimpanzee).

But the lastname is Italian, that is why pronounced De Che-cco.