2020 Olympics - Tokyo, Japan

• Argentina is playing much better than against Frace. Well, at least Palacios and Lima are not only "physically" in the court than in the SF.

Conte with 8 pts in the firt set :what: But they are missing too many serves, 6 so far.

• Too many service errors for Argentina! I mean, if it was Sada/Brazil, not that I'd agree, but at least it would be more justifiable.

They could try more floating serves.

10 error on 2 sets. Maybe Conte still having that Sada feeling.

• At least Renan let Douglas play this set. To be honest, I expected that Leal wouldnt care about this match. He looked super lazy in defense in the first set.

Btw, I have just noticed that from all the naturalised Cubans, so far the one who has arrived the farthest is Juantorena. Leal would get at max the bronze medal here, while Leon didnt qualify for the medal phase.

• At least Renan let Douglas play this set. To be honest, I expected that Leal wouldnt care about this match. He looked super lazy in defense in the first set.

Btw, I have just noticed that from all the naturalised Cubans, so far the one who has arrived the farthest is Juantorena. Leal would get at max the bronze medal here, while Leon didnt qualify for the medal phase.

I sorta have a theory about that, but I'm always afraid to be misunderstood when I say it out loud.

I am not against naturalizing players per se. But I think if you're gonna do that, it'd be advisable if the player possessed certain characteristics that's not just "because he'll make the team stronger". It should make sense in a certain context, whether if the player identifies with the new culture for some reason, whether because the new country has welcomed him in, his "volleyball education" was partially built in the new country, something like that.

I won't go much into the Leon Poland thing, cause I don't really know what's going on there. But here in Brazil, the impression that I get is that Leal barely communicates well with his teamates. He seems to be quite a shy guy. The words he mumbles can barely pass for "Portunhol", after all these years. He doesn't live here anymore. I don't necessarily think he incorporated "Brazilian school" aspects to his game. He seems to be the odd man out that everyone appreciates because he's able to serve really hard and spike really hard in an almost effortless way. I don't know, it just doesn't seem to me that he's really part of the team. I haven't followed him much in Italy, but I reckon he feels more comfortable there than in the NT. I mean, I get it, he always wanted to make to the Olympics. But there is something strange about this team that, in paper have a super strong attack, and, in reality, is not able to close a match when they're really ahead, even with decent sets.

I imagine Juantorena's process in Italy ran a lot smoother.

• Argentina was 16-13, but againt they couldnt keep the lead: Lima and Palacios couldnt close OOS balls. And there is no answer from the bench. Pereyra :gone: As well, they keep losing serves, 17 pts in 3 sets is too much.

Lucas is playing such a good match, 10/11 in attacks :teach: