Serbia NT 2020

• Calderon wanted to play for Russia, but Goncharova had the only nationalized spot.

Then Bogdan is actually right that there are similarities in the 2 cases, just not what he pointed out. Whether this rumour is true or not, Vargas will not be able to play for Serbia until Brankica retires from NT.

• Calderon wanted to play for Russia, but Goncharova had the only nationalized spot.

You have the right, I actually uploaded something I read and have in my mind without analisys about rules, and in the meantime I remembered where it says that, on her english wikipedia page, and i find on worldofvolley (for example https://worldofvolley.com/Late…oreign-national-team.html ) and several other media, and all articles said that she didn't want to play for Russian NT, so yes it is true that she technicaly even did not be able to compete for Russian NT while Goncharova is there, but obviously she even didn't want that, but maybe you have some detailed information.

Anyway Calderon was just side thing, I still believe in the scenario described earlier, and the thing about Brankica and Vargas certainly stands from the beginning, I tried my best to prove it to others, there was a story that Brankica was not naturalized, which fell into the water a long time ago.

• I'm just most seriously wondering if this story is true, that she doesn't even want to change her sports citizenship and get a Serbian one for God's sake, how did she choose Serbia and why ???

I sound auto-chauvinistic, but I actually love my country, but the realistically viewed situation is not clear at all to me.

• Wait, you actually know Jaglicic or did you asked him on some social media?

Personally i don't know him, but i asked him for several times already on the social media, and he always answered to me, that also include first gossip about Melisa and after that he spoke with Terzic and published that on the Sportklub site after which all media shared that news.

* He answered to me this time also, he said that he let me know when he investigates and finds out what's going on there.

He is very well informed and close to the serbian players and Terzic and in addition to that he is very nice and friendly.

• I'll say it again: it makes zero sense that she asked for Serbian citizenship (which seems to be beyond doubt) if she didn't plan to play for NT. If you are a successful athlete, the only reason you apply for Serbian passport is to play for the country. That's it.

• NON

She is from cuba an comunist regime and she wanted to get another citizenship

It didn't matter where

That happened to so many athletes that even when his former nt wasn't strong and she get the other citizenship,she didn't want to play for the country

Example gaby perez or pirv

• Yes, but why would the government of Serbia give its citizenship to some random person with no ties to the country and no intention to establish them? No one does that and it makes no sense. Like it's been mentioned in this thread, there are provisions in the law that enable the naturalization of persons who could "benefit and promote the country of Serbia" (the latest example being in women's basketball just recently), but Vargas playing in Fenerbahce or wherever and NOT on the Serbian NT does not meet that requirement.

It's possible she simply changed her mind for whatever reason. If so, I wonder how that will affect her relationship and cooperation with Terzić.

• Yes, but why would the government of Serbia give its citizenship to some random person with no ties to the country and no intention to establish them? No one does that and it makes no sense. Like it's been mentioned in this thread, there are provisions in the law that enable the naturalization of persons who could "benefit and promote the country of Serbia" (the latest example being in women's basketball just recently), but Vargas playing in Fenerbahce or wherever and NOT on the Serbian NT does not meet that requirement.

It's possible she simply changed her mind for whatever reason. If so, I wonder how that will affect her relationship and cooperation with Terzić.

Many cuban players changes citizdnship and never play for that nt

For example sanchez and palacios i think in kazakhstan

• Palacios has Azeri citizenship and she did that playing in their league at that time that Rabita was that international powerhouse to count as non- foreigner... it's not the same thing... They would be comparable only if Vargas had chosen Turkey instead of Serbia...

Maybe Vargas thought that she would play right away but realize that it's not possible with Brankica there... I don't know... Let's wait for more news

• Melisa Vargas gave interview for WOV that She will NOT play for Serbian NT and that She doesn't have any desire to change her origin or federation. Even though She got Serbian papers.

So this topic is closed.

https://worldofvolley.com/Late…FjykqbN2Ns1g_T3PeP0s2BWwY

• Maybe Cuba are planning on using Vargas again? They brought back some players for the Men NT..

• Maybe Cuba are planning on using Vargas again? They brought back some players for the Men NT..

Idoubt so

Like i said is not that she got papers that she gonna play for the team

She want the stability to be citizen of a country she can live (she can't return to cuba)

So that's all

• Idoubt so

Like i said is not that she got papers that she gonna play for the team

She want the stability to be citizen of a country she can live (she can't return to cuba)

So that's all

It is not a question of Melissa's motives here at all, a logical question arises if there was no concrete agreement on this, what are the motives of the Serbian side to give citizenship to a foreigner, without receiving anything in return, she does not even pay taxes here, due to the double taxation agreement between Serbia and Turkey, and if there was a story about NT even now that Melissa changed her mind or just cheated / wisely hid, in that case, I personally expect the mentioned citizenship to be withdrawn.

• It is not a question of Melissa's motives here at all, a logical question arises if there was no concrete agreement on this, what are the motives of the Serbian side to give citizenship to a foreigner, without receiving anything in return, she does not even pay taxes here, due to the double taxation agreement between Serbia and Turkey, and if there was a story about NT even now that Melissa changed her mind or just cheated / wisely hid, in that case, I personally expect the mentioned citizenship to be withdrawn.

Like they said before they're many corruption in those countries

If was always bizarre for me this eastern/balkan countries gives so fast the citizenship and in others more developp is difficult

• Just saying there is corruption in Balkan countries doesn't actually address any of Bogdan's points. Sure, there is lot of corruption, but in practice, what you are saying is that Vargas paid a substantial sum to an official to get Serbian citizenship. Even if we accept that premise, the inevitable question is: why would she do that, if not to plat for NT? And since we are rejecting the possibility of her playing for NT in this scenario, than no one in Serbian Federation would have any incentive to help her.

Plus the already mentioned Terzic interview, which directly contradicts what Melissa is saying here.

What I think is much more likely is that this letter (if genuine) is either coming on the heels of the negative response from FIVB, or she is giving a false statement to cool the situation and kill the rumours, so that few years down the road, when she is finally able to play for Serbia, she can turn around and say: "Oh, I've changed my mind; I'll play for them."

• We have absolved those stories with corruption, it is true, Serbia has hardened country in corruption, but with corruption, as a rule, the interest of both sides is almost implied, and here, except for playing for the national team, I do not see any interest of the Serbian side to take up for something like that, even if we say that Vargas has a motive (although in my opinion very debatable).

It is only important to understand that Serbia, no matter what indixes of corruption it has, does not go exactly as you come and say I want your citizenship and pay. However, a slightly broader understanding of the situation is needed here, it is not enough to hear a few stories and read the index of corruption on the Internet, social circumstances and hundreds are still very special in this area.

• What I think is much more likely is that this letter (if genuine) is either coming on the heels of the negative response from FIVB, or she is giving a false statement to cool the situation and kill the rumours, so that few years down the road, when she is finally able to play for Serbia, she can turn around and say: "Oh, I've changed my mind; I'll play for them."

I was thinking this as well. I really doubt, she just randomly chose one day to get the Serbian citizenship and Serbia randomly says yes :rolll: Even to get out of Cuba, that story is a bit too shady to be realistic.