Japan Women’s NT 2020

• I think Japan has decent outside hitters, not world class, but they do just fine to me.

The real problems of female team is team blocking. I know people say they are lack of height, but Japan even can't block Thailand well which is shorter than them. Japan should train more in team blocking specially in V.League.

I will talk about blocking until I am blue in the face with the Japanese women’s team.

Blocking for points is the most random (timing the block and where it is contacted) way to score In volleyball. Yes aces are a lower percentage but on any point aces are not expected.

Height plays a role here. Let alone timing and the middles ability to move.

Erika Araki is basically all-world, not number one, but easily top 10. As a hitter you have to get it around her.

On the FIVB data, they have stuff blocks and rebounds (ball stays in play). I like to add those together because it gives a good understanding of getting to the ball or at least touching it.

Japan’s numbers area always low. It you aren’t touching balls, you can’t expect them to be blocked.

• because it gives a good understanding of getting to the ball or at least touching it.

Japan’s numbers area always low. It you aren’t touching balls, you can’t expect them to be blocked.

My argument on this will be just watch Japan vs Thailand or Japan vs Taiwan. The height of players in Thailand and Taiwan are similar with Japan. But Japan can't block them as well. You can't say they are lack of height. How to explain those that.

They just lack of training on blocking. The coaches in Japan don't know anything about Team blocking.

• My argument on this will be just watch Japan vs Thailand or Japan vs Taiwan. The height of players in Thailand and Taiwan are similar with Japan. But Japan can't block them as well. You can't say they are lack of height. How to explain those that.

They just lack of training on blocking. The coaches in Japan don't know anything about Team blocking.

Taiwan has been lagging in years they haven't been notable in anything. Thailand's blocking system isn't world class either going by your terms of what world class deems. Neither of these countries should serve as examples against Japan's blocking.

Height still plays a major role no matter how you look at it.

• so Japan, Thailand, Taiwan are at similar height, why Japan can't block Thailand & Taiwan? Height is not playing a key factor in here.

NOBODY, not FIVB, not Thailand and certainly not Taiwan have ever said that Japan cannot block them or any other team for that matter. Only you did. It's a matter of pushing your opinion on the matter despite Japan being miles better than them in that aspect.

• Japan has robots to block them in training. Why can’t they learn from the robots?

• As much as im a fan of the THA team, I agreed about the Japanese team having better blocking than THA. Though when it comes to mbs attacking, THA are probably better. Especially Pleumjit, she is probably the world's best under 6 feet mb.

And about Japanese sometimes not able to block the THA,? Has more to do with their tricky setters and the way they play. Always running decoys and one of the world best setter certainly helps.

• As much as im a fan of the THA team, I agreed about the Japanese team having better blocking than THA. Though when it comes to mbs attacking, THA are probably better. Especially Pleumjit, she is probably the world's best under 6 feet mb.

And about Japanese sometimes not able to block the THA,? Has more to do with their tricky setters and the way they play. Always running decoys and one of the world best setter certainly helps.

Good creative setters help a lot. And decoys, especially from the back row ::cough::YOLO::cough::

Height helps too. Mai Irisawa, who's slow and not athletic, got in a lot of blocks against Kurobe and PFU. Not sure how that scales to Serbia and China :/

• i don't like actual japan's setters

They're so predictable

If you can see a match of japan nowadays you're gonna see the setters doing the oh 3 or 4 balls to oh in the same rally

Also japan has grown this last year and i think they're going to rise their level but i don't see this actual or future japan team battling for medals in any fivb competition (only avc)

• Japan has robots to block them in training. Why can’t they learn from the robots?

As much as how amazing their technology is to create robots to mimic blocking, they're not the same as real players or top middle blockers who are able to adjust within seconds. If anything by now the Japanese players are able to read the different configurations for the robot blockers, but that doesn't mean it'll translate in a real match.

I bet they're working on some robots to play back row defense. :super:

• As much as how amazing their technology is to create robots to mimic blocking, they're not the same as real players or top middle blockers who are able to adjust within seconds. If anything by now the Japanese players are able to read the different configurations for the robot blockers, but that doesn't mean it'll translate in a real match.

I bet they're working on some robots to play back row defense. :super:

As I understand the robot programming, they are pre-programmed to execute specific plays, so if the offense doesn't do that play the robots are out in the cold. I think they were working on motion sensors to make them capable of 'reading' the offense.

• i don't like actual japan's setters

They're so predictable

If you can see a match of japan nowadays you're gonna see the setters doing the oh 3 or 4 balls to oh in the same rally

It's weird to me that in High School, University, and even 9-ball, the setters are all over the place with their sets, and they use the right side easily as much as the left. University setters especially use their middles a LOT. And the attackers swing more aggressively 'down there'. I wonder what it is about going pro in Japan that makes everyone and everything more conservative.

• The online intra--squad match a couple of weeks ago had 4400 people watching the women's match. The men's match had 13,600 people.

yikes. we need a changing of the guard, pronto

Ask Nakada, she doesn't agree to use robots to train. Only men's team is using robots.

NOBODY, not FIVB, not Thailand and certainly not Taiwan have ever said that Japan cannot block them or any other team for that matter. Only you did. It's a matter of pushing your opinion on the matter despite Japan being miles better than them in that aspect.

Look at the statics, Japan did not do well in blocking even when it faced to Taiwan or Thailand. Also I found your reply is rude and out of manner.

It's something to do with team blocking training. When you have assumed that you can't block any teams because of height, then they don't spend much time on training the blocking. Instead of, the women's team spend huge amount of time into ground defence training. So Japan always struggle a lot to win even when facing 3rd-tier teams like Azerbaijan or Croatia.

Japan can't block the high ball attacks from Thailand or Taiwan, it's nothing to do with setters. This happened to the youth men's team as well. Men's team U23 lost to Taiwan last year in Asian Championship. The main reason was they can't block the captain of Taiwan although Japan Youth team is higher than Taiwan Youth team.

• Ask Nakada, she doesn't agree to use robots to train. Only men's team is using robots.

That's interesting. I thought it was strictly for the girls. That's Yuki Ishii (and someone else) in the video.

I agree with you that the girls back-burner it, but I don't know if that it's a bad idea