COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

• In Serbia from tomorrow( 19.2.) curfew will be in force from 20:00 to 5:00 next day, for all of people will be in force ban on leaving homes, while for people elder (above 65 yo) that ban be in force a whole day. Of course, the decision is more complex and consists of a couple of sub-items and notices, but this is the essence of the new situation in Serbia.

• Countries - Total deaths- New deaths

1. China 3,237 (+11)

2. Italy 2,503 (+345)

3. Iran 1,135 (+135)

4. Spain 533 (+191)

5. France 175 (+27)

6. USA 116 (+23)

7. S. Korea 84 (+6)

8. UK 71 (+16)

9. Netherlands 43 (+19)

Spain

3 March: first death

4 March: 1 new death

5 March: 1 new death

11 March: 19 new deaths

17 March: 191 new deaths

• First death in Brazil was confirmed yesterday. The total official number of infected people is 350 but we all know the numbers are much higher than that. The virus is already in 17 states (total of 26) + the federal district.

• So for anyone curious you can actually have a guess on the number of infected. based on the time it takes to double from reported cases and the death rate in places like south korea where they did extensive testing, you can get the death rate from the number currently dead (which is definitely accurate). Then you can calculate the number infected a week or two before by dividing by the death rate and then with exponential growth and finding the number of doubling times that have happened you can get the numbers currently infected.

p.s. if you do this calculation, don't get scared....

• I've been following news about the number of tested in Serbia for days now, and I've noticed that the percentage of positives are always around 20-25%. That is as close as definitive confirmation as we will get that the true number of infected are much greater, but due to logistical and psychological factors, the governments are not disposed to test as many as they should.

• everything bad that's going on aside, it's cool to see that everyone in the forum has come together to share news about the virus without any more trolling. i'm finding it really cool to come here and read news about how things are going in other countries. good job, everyone :)

• everything bad that's going on aside, it's cool to see that everyone in the forum has come together to share news about the virus without any more trolling. i'm finding it really cool to come here and read news about how things are going in other countries. good job, everyone :)

Not so sure about it. :whistle:

• Well we are finally stopping classes at schools here but they’ll remain open in some form so health care workers don’t have to stay home watching their kids.

People are “advised” not to go to restaurants, clubs, etc. but such places only get their insurance money if they’re forced to close, which they’re not yet. Some money is being set aside by the govt to protect businesses though, so that’s helpful. People will be protected from eviction if they can’t pay rent to landlords due to the virus.

We have finally been putting in some measures in the last couple of days but it’s slow progress and many people are still trying to live as normal as working from home is impossible for most.

And it’s not expected to peak here until June so it’s gonna be a long few months...

• Most of statistics show the numbers as UK, how is the situation in Scotland or Wales? Is infection number there as bad as in England?

• Well, he (Matthias) can't be all bad, if he allows Sidney to tell that attention-starved troll-who-shall-not-be-named off. That's good work, right there.:lol:

• Most of statistics show the numbers as UK, how is the situation in Scotland or Wales? Is infection number there as bad as in England?

Out of 2626 who have tested positive in the UK, 227 were in Scotland and 149 were in Wales. Scotland accounts for about 8% of the population and Wales for about 5% so it’s pretty much the same rate across the UK.

• Just as I feared, things arent going fine in Latin America. And, unfortunately, it didnt surprise me. We had so many days in order to organize a better prevention system, but it hasnt worked so far.

Just an example. Chile has been one of the last southamerican countries to close its borders, as well as one of the last to cancel flights from/to Europe and Asia and even, closing schools and universities. They only closed schools this Monday, when almost all their neighbours closed all the education institutions since 10 days ago.

Argentina and Peru are locked down since Monday. With locked down, I mean nobody cant come into/leave, not even nationals cant move from one city to another, just in emergency cases. You could only go to work if your job belongs to some (few) specific industries. The army is in the streets in order to control people respect these drastic measures. It is the only way people understand here. Not even a fee, straight to the jail if you dont hold an official certification.

Goverments took these measures because the lack of UCI beds per person is just astonishing. So, it is better to prevent.

Chilean government realize they reacted too late, so since tomorrow they are going to take even more drastic measure: 90-day state of catastrophe (https://nyti.ms/2Ude2R2). They had to do this because the cases are growing way faster than expected there.

Brazil is also another example. But I think their case has been already explained here. Mexico, it is pretty the same. The two sides from the coin.

I would only like to highlight that Latin America is a region where most of the population live the "day by day". Which means that if you dont work one day, it means you wont eat the next one. The reality is way different than in Europe, Northamerica or some Asian countries.

Governments here are trying to help that population, which, unfortunately, is the one who will suffer the most in this kind of situations.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-51913316