Brazil NT 2021

• Why not? She is so underrated player, she is great in both of receving and defence skills, she isn't attractive one but her role in Serbia is very important and Serbia is current World, European champ and Olympic vice champ and in every single succes of Serbia she was one of the best on her position, and that confirma stastic, surely thar statistic isn't always a 100% credible display, but if someone who played final at Olympic was also the best receiver of the tournament and someone who was first on the wch was first in digging stastic, ofc for someone more for someone less but her quality is unquestionable.

*sorry for of topic

Because she is the most overachieved libero on earth. To me, libero has been the weakest position of Serbia NT because of her. She got all those fancy titles next to her teammates who are all one of the bests in their position (even Busa is one of the best as an defensive OH).

I am not saying that she is a terrible libero, she is decent. It is just that she is not a libero that would come to my mind even I have to count more than 10 best liberos. She is neither a great digger not a great receiver, she is just decent at both element which is enough for Serbia since they have world class players in all other positions

• If brazil will win gold then most likely there will be no renewal. Players for the 2024 must be agressive to be included in paris!

If brazil will renew, then...

setter for the NT season will be: lyara, juma, kenya

Middle blockers: mayany (always like her since 2017), julia kudiess, diana alecrim

Opposite: lorenne, kisy, lorrayna, jheovana

Outside hitters: prominence of gabi, then tainara, maira, maiara basso. I wont include Ana christina as she will study ang maybe play in france.

Libero: natinha vs nyeme but keyla alves is also promising.. u20 libero in 2019 world championships

• IMHO Serbia became this good when she took over the libero position. She's not the most spectacular player ever, but she gets her job done. Not to mention she has been passing the ball in a 2-people system for years. Ask yourself where those amazing liberos would be having to cover 4,5 m of court at the highest level.

• IMHO Serbia became this good when she took over the libero position. She's not the most spectacular player ever, but she gets her job done. Not to mention she has been passing the ball in a 2-people system for years. Ask yourself where those amazing liberos would be having to cover 4,5 m of court at the highest level.

Exactly. I found her to be really important for all of Serbia's achievements these last few years, especially in Rio. She's no De Gennaro or Castillo, but she works well in Serbia's system.

Also I'm no mod, but can we please just move away this discussion to the Serbian thread or somewhere else?

• I want to see De Gennaro and Castillo covering 4,5 m of court for years, then I can have a real comparison.

Italy tried it during the 2016 OGs with Egonu outiside hitter, afair, and it was an epic fail.

• I think it's pretty hard to think about renovation.. especially with some players that never played with the senior team...

Only Tainara had a real test, the other ones are only a guess... Ze will continue with the old ladies and Paulo Coco will do the same thing.

They are waiting the players to grow up to give them any chance to compete for a spot.. they don't trust the u-players any more.. which is a shame, but a fact nonetheless :(

• I think it's pretty hard to think about renovation.. especially with some players that never played with the senior team...

Only Tainara had a real test, the other ones are only a guess... Ze will continue with the old ladies and Paulo Coco will do the same thing.

They are waiting the players to grow up to give them any chance to compete for a spot.. they don't trust the u-players any more.. which is a shame, but a fact nonetheless :(

People asking for Jheovana and Julia Kudiess and Kenya just makes me laugh lmao

Gabi only joined the NT at a young age because she was already performing at a high level in the Superliga champion. Same for Drussyla. What have these players shown up to this point that'd make them worthy of being called to the NT other than failing to reach the podium in U18/U20 tournaments?

• Popovic popularity problem is she's not italian, russian, brazilian or turkish and clubs from those domestic leagues are never going to consider her because a foreign libero have less impact than someone who can score or block.

If she were then we can compare.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• The problem is that the Golden Generation set the bar really really high... We are waiting for new phenomenal players like Sheilla and Mari and we don't have them anymore, we almost broke Natalia because we thought that she was the biggest thing ever...

Who would have thought Lorenne would have the season she had this year? She never showed anything special after U-20 and everybody (including myself) were against her, but she did super well because she had the opportunity to show herself. We are afraid of looking weak, but every NT had (or will have) to deal with all of it - transition, new players, uncertainty - we need to give these players international experience, playing in Superliga isn't enough. We use to play some invitationals with our younger players in Europe, but we don't do that anymore, so they need this experience somewhere else.

• Also I'm no mod, but can we please just move away this discussion to the Serbian thread or somewhere else?

Sorry my Bad, i just want to answer but surely i dont need to do that in Brazilian NT thread. :gone:

• Popovic popularity problem is she's not italian, russian, brazilian or turkish and clubs from those domestic leagues are never going to consider her because a foreign libero have less impact than someone who can score or block.

If she were then we can compare.

Last time I've checked Castillo was not italian, russian, brazilian or turkish and she didn't play in any of these leagues (except in Bauru for a season) but she is still considered as best libero with De Gennaro. So I don't think it is about in which NT a player plays to be considered as best

• People asking for Jheovana and Julia Kudiess and Kenya just makes me laugh lmao

Gabi only joined the NT at a young age because she was already performing at a high level in the Superliga champion. Same for Drussyla. What have these players shown up to this point that'd make them worthy of being called to the NT other than failing to reach the podium in U18/U20 tournaments?

A fair point is that Brazilian youngsters are not as dominant at U18/U20 tournaments as they were before. Brasil won 4 editions in a row between 2001-2007 (generations 1982-1988), which fed the senior team for many years but recently, Brasil couldn't reach to even semis in last two junior WCH whereas. So it is not trainers don't give them a chance in NT, it is also the fact that there are not such exceptional players anymore to get a slot among such a competitive pool of senior players.

• The problem is that the Golden Generation set the bar really really high... We are waiting for new phenomenal players like Sheilla and Mari and we don't have them anymore, we almost broke Natalia because we thought that she was the biggest thing ever...

Who would have thought Lorenne would have the season she had this year? She never showed anything special after U-20 and everybody (including myself) were against her, but she did super well because she had the opportunity to show herself. We are afraid of looking weak, but every NT had (or will have) to deal with all of it - transition, new players, uncertainty - we need to give these players international experience, playing in Superliga isn't enough. We use to play some invitationals with our younger players in Europe, but we don't do that anymore, so they need this experience somewhere else.

So true. IMO til these days The 2008 Golden Girls are untouchable, even by the ones in 2012. I think Sheilla is truly irreplacable during her glory days. She was one of the most dynamic opposite hitters I have ever seen til this day. She is not all firepower like The Great Boskovic but her aim when she hits the ball is crazy. And don’t let me start with those legendary tips of hers.

And we do have Garay + Jaque duo but I still think Mari + Paula duo are better. Natalia was supposed to be the next Mari with her vertical jump but her injuries stopped her from being so.

There will come a day when the new generation live up to the 2008 golden girls. But I dont see it happening with the current generation. Gabi is the only one improving.

• but part of the problem is that talented and promising players are not necessarily given chances... until this past season, lorenne and borgo were bench players. and then given a chance, they shined and showed what they can do... of course, i don't think borgo will be the savior of the NT but lorenne might well be...

• A fair point is that Brazilian youngsters are not as dominant at U18/U20 tournaments as they were before. Brasil won 4 editions in a row between 2001-2007 (generations 1982-1988), which fed the senior team for many years but recently, Brasil couldn't reach to even semis in last two junior WCH whereas. So it is not trainers don't give them a chance in NT, it is also the fact that there are not such exceptional players anymore to get a slot among such a competitive pool of senior players.

yes, and clubs know that. they're having a hard time hiring good OHs, for example. minas keeps hiring pri daroit, who's over 30yo and never shined in the NT, simply because there aren't any good ones that could potentially make them strong. gabi, natália and probaby drussyla (if she regains her pre-injuries form) are the only viable candidates. perhaps amanda and jaque too, but that's already a stretch.

but part of the problem is that talented and promising players are not necessarily given chances... until this past season, lorenne and borgo were bench players. and then given a chance, they shined and showed what they can do... of course, i don't think borgo will be the savior of the NT but lorenne might well be...

that's another thing. if the NT for example fails to reach F6 in the VNL because the coach let youngsters play and gain experience, criticism would come crashing down hard on everyone. there's a lot of expectations on the NTs here and hardly room to breathe. we saw what happened in 2018 and 2019 with plenty of players refusing to join simply because the pressure is way too high. it's a hard thing to work around.

• we're literally in 2020

2020 is cancelledt lol. so its 2021-onwards :P

• It's really hard to play for Brazil after the two golden medals we get, the pressure is even more harder than what it was at the period after Athens. Rosamaria refused to play last year because she had depression, Gabi Candido suffered from panic disorder, Drussyla also couldn't deal the pressure, what they have in common? They are all under 25.

The case of Lorenne is priceless, she benched two seasons in Osasco, after playing great in Sesi, then had a chance at NT and showed what she is capable. And that make so good for her confidence, it did so well for her, that even the way she behaves on the court changed, we saw her screaming, facing off against her opponet, playing as a dominant opposite.

It's not gonna be easy for us, like it was not easy for Italy, Serbia and China. But I think we can build a team, at least competitive, with the players that are emerging. It is a matter of time, work and patience. The clubs are realizing that it is necessary to start testing players, especially outside hitters, and this will probably be more evident in the next Superliga.

• I don't know exactly where to post this, but is an interview in Portuguese and he said that he dreams to train Brazil NT, so I think here is the right place.

He says a lot of stuff about tactics, his career and his time with Minas. If you want the written version (Google Translation), click the link