Russia -Superleague 2019-2020

• Lokomotiv was so close to defeat ZSP in 3 sets, leading 20-16 in 3rd set but somehow managed to lose it. Won the tie-break with 18-16 after all.

Is Sammelvuo married to an heiress that sponsors ZSP? I really do not see how he keeps his job, not only the losses but the incompetence that he possess seems to be contagious.

• Lokomotiv was so close to defeat ZSP in 3 sets, leading 20-16 in 3rd set but somehow managed to lose it. Won the tie-break with 18-16 after all.

Is Sammelvuo married to an heiress that sponsors ZSP? I really do not see how he keeps his job, not only the losses but the incompetence that he possess seems to be contagious.

The recent Zenit-SPB matches made me realize truly how bad of a coach Sammelvuo is. I heard he and Kobzar had some disagreements, which is why he did not start (and play) in a lot of matches, even in Champion's League. The match against Lokomotiv was really lost for SPB until he put Kobzar back in and pushed Loko into 5 sets (the 5th being an extended set even!). SPB has lost all of their 5-setter games in the recent matches and I definitely see Perugia going no-mercy on them. Can't see how he got renewed for the NT, maybe because of the silver medal finish after going from no medal in 2016?

• The recent Zenit-SPB matches made me realize truly how bad of a coach Sammelvuo is. I heard he and Kobzar had some disagreements, which is why he did not start (and play) in a lot of matches, even in Champion's League. The match against Lokomotiv was really lost for SPB until he put Kobzar back in and pushed Loko into 5 sets (the 5th being an extended set even!). SPB has lost all of their 5-setter games in the recent matches and I definitely see Perugia going no-mercy on them. Can't see how he got renewed for the NT, maybe because of the silver medal finish after going from no medal in 2016?

I remember how he never used Kovolev last year, even when Brizard wasn't on his best day. Another aspect that I believe can be useful is that changing your main player in order to take a moment off, maybe have him/her see the game clearly from an outsider point of view. He never used that and that blows my mind. I haven't heard anything or can claim any internal conflict, yet there is something wrong for sure.

• So someone finally made some posts here, I thought I was the only person in this forum following men's Russian league lol After some sleuthing , the conflict in fact is not between Sammelvuo and Kobzar, but between Kobzar and wait for it.. Yakovlev! Turns out, the root of this issue where this all started between the two all because of the captaincy (is that even a word lol) in the team. According to some Russian VB fans, the team had a vote and Sammelvuo and the coaching staff voted for Kobzar, and most of the Zenit players sided with Yakovlev. Some fans also noted Yakovlev liking fan comments in Instagram saying he is a more worthy captain that Kobzar lol Due to all of this drama, the climate in the team got affected, and it affected Kobzar's relationship not only to Yakovlev but to the rest of his teammates to the point that they weren't on speaking terms (I know crazy right sounds like HS drama).. This apparently is the main reason why Kobzar is not starting, if we were to believe. Rumors notwithstanding, except for yesterday's match with Lokomotiv, Kobzar is playing really poorly so he deserves to be benched but I think he regained some of his mojo back after yesterday's game.

I still have two questions lingering in my mind: 1. Why on earth Poletaev is always injured? Seems like Sammelvuo is using Viktor as his scapegoat, as to why the team is always playing sub-optiamlly and not with the strongest composition. 2. And to echo one user, why does he get to keep his job in the club even after the very mediocre results with the team.

Zenit is cursed. All players transferring to that team regressed. Yakovlev is not the same players even compared to last season. Kliuka during Fakel days was objectively better, and Poletaev I really don't know what to say. Even Zhenya seems lost a times.

• https://volley2022.ru/news/2411/

Is this like an "All-Stars" match with Russians vs the imports on April (?)

Yes! I find the concept really interesting local players vs foreigners all in competing teams

• So someone finally made some posts here, I thought I was the only person in this forum following men's Russian league lol After some sleuthing , the conflict in fact is not between Sammelvuo and Kobzar, but between Kobzar and wait for it.. Yakovlev! Turns out, the root of this issue where this all started between the two all because of the captaincy (is that even a word lol) in the team. According to some Russian VB fans, the team had a vote and Sammelvuo and the coaching staff voted for Kobzar, and most of the Zenit players sided with Yakovlev. Some fans also noted Yakovlev liking fan comments in Instagram saying he is a more worthy captain that Kobzar lol Due to all of this drama, the climate in the team got affected, and it affected Kobzar's relationship not only to Yakovlev but to the rest of his teammates to the point that they weren't on speaking terms (I know crazy right sounds like HS drama).. This apparently is the main reason why Kobzar is not starting, if we were to believe. Rumors notwithstanding, except for yesterday's match with Lokomotiv, Kobzar is playing really poorly so he deserves to be benched but I think he regained some of his mojo back after yesterday's game.

I still have two questions lingering in my mind: 1. Why on earth Poletaev is always injured? Seems like Sammelvuo is using Viktor as his scapegoat, as to why the team is always playing sub-optiamlly and not with the strongest composition. 2. And to echo one user, why does he get to keep his job in the club even after the very mediocre results with the team.

Zenit is cursed. All players transferring to that team regressed. Yakovlev is not the same players even compared to last season. Kliuka during Fakel days was objectively better, and Poletaev I really don't know what to say. Even Zhenya seems lost a times.

Well, I won't take anybody's side because both of them are playing horrible this season, but that captain thing is damaging the Zenit's environment (and results). I don't know why Sammelvuo has a preference in his Kuzbass boys (Kobzar, Poletaev, Yaroslav, Pashitsky, etc). Those players aren't Russian legends like Maxim, Dmitry, Tetyukhin, etc to have that status in the NT and their clubs. Kobzar just arrived at Zenit SP and Sammelvuo wants him to be the captain of the team, meanwhile, Yakovlev has more years playing there. If there's such a drama, Kliuka should be the captain. It seems the Finnish coach finally gave up on Kobzar and Poletaev... so, that's good news.

With that saying, I think his Kuzbass boys should still be invited to the Russian NT (indeed, Yaroslav played well last year), but not with that untouchable status. There are other options that should be tested... Abaev, Lyzik, Fedorov, Klets, Semyshev, Tetyukhin.

• All this drama omg, that's just sad. All I hope for is that the issue gets resolved because their campaign is seriously suffering from it, SPB's backup setter is not performing well, Voronkov is choking, Poletaev is "injured", Yakovlev and Kliuka are underperforming, SPB is just a mess. Hope they figure things out at least before CL comes.

• With that saying, I think his Kuzbass boys should still be invited to the Russian NT (indeed, Yaroslav played well last year), but not with that untouchable status. There are other options that should be tested... Abaev, Lyzik, Fedorov, Klets, Semyshev, Tetyukhin.

I agree with this. It's time for Russia to test their young players out, especially since Max isn't getting any younger (I feel like Paris will be his last tournament with the NT) and there is a shortage of good opposite hitters in Russia. Klets is probably Russia's best chance for a tall opposite, followed by Murashko. As with the other positions, I wouldn't mind a Kobzar-Abaev setting duo (with a sprinkle of Pankov). Middle blockers are basically set once Lyzik comes since Russia still have Kurkaev if Yakovlev and Volvich underperforms. Fedorov can easily kick Golubev out of the starting libero position just like he did in Zenit-Kazan, but the real bloodbath happens in the open hitter position. Semyshev, Volkov, Kliuka, Podlesnykh and Tetyukhin would be fighting for a spot in the national team.

• I haven't been able to follow closely this season, but in all fairness, this story about the captaincy seems more like a gossip
    than anything.

Sammelvuo is stubborn sometimes and in Zenit, he is definitely not doing a good job, but I don't see his "Kuzbass" boys as a feud.
    Podlesnykh for example even after successful years in the club team did not secure a spot on NT, Poletaev never managed to be in the starting six, Butko only lost his spot because he was really bad, otherwise, it would not happen soon...

Anyways, I hope Zenit improves and shows what they are capable of.

• I agree with this. It's time for Russia to test their young players out, especially since Max isn't getting any younger (I feel like Paris will be his last tournament with the NT) and there is a shortage of good opposite hitters in Russia. Klets is probably Russia's best chance for a tall opposite, followed by Murashko. As with the other positions, I wouldn't mind a Kobzar-Abaev setting duo (with a sprinkle of Pankov). Middle blockers are basically set once Lyzik comes since Russia still have Kurkaev if Yakovlev and Volvich underperforms. Fedorov can easily kick Golubev out of the starting libero position just like he did in Zenit-Kazan, but the real bloodbath happens in the open hitter position. Semyshev, Volkov, Kliuka, Podlesnykh and Tetyukhin would be fighting for a spot in the national team.

Russia's next big opposite may come from one of the Lokomotiv pupils - Klets, Sapozkhov, Murashko but currently the gap between Maxim and Poletaev, and all other opposites in Russia is huge. So I would say it would take another 2-3 years to establish them as an NT candidate. I"m still on the Poletaev train even if he is always injured, hopefully he can regain his good form for the home WCH.

• Russia's next big opposite may come from one of the Lokomotiv pupils - Klets, Sapozkhov, Murashko but currently the gap between Maxim and Poletaev, and all other opposites in Russia is huge. So I would say it would take another 2-3 years to establish them as an NT candidate. I"m still on the Poletaev train even if he is always injured, hopefully he can regain his good form for the home WCH.

Or VFV should try to nationalize Babkevich because that young opposite is already a monster on the court :super:

• So ZSP is beaten again, this time by Dinamo with 3-1. Does anyone know why Sammelvuo was absent?

Apparently he and Kobzar were suspected to have Covid

• This guy states that tomorrow will be official information that all of the foreign players in Russian league will be expelled from Russia.

:(

Its such a shame since I have started liking Kazan's gameplay and chemistry again. And now Micah and Bartosz might leave. This also means Jenia will leave ZSP and Sokolov will leave Moscow.