• But what Lang Ping did in 2008 was much more difficult, because back then no one believed that USA would go to the finals, what she did was magical... In 2012, they had the wonderful Hooker, they were clearly favourites

• well, i guess then it wasn't a much better option...

i wish i could find US x ITA, it was ITA's only loss...

or DOM x SRB, DOM x KOR, US x BRA, or ITA x CHN...

Oh DOM x SRB, i try to forgot that match but i couldn't. Serbia leads 2-0 and final result was 3-2 for DOM but that isn't the funniest thing about that match, in that match Terzic in some moment become angry on his players and since that moment he didn't call a single time out, on techical he keep quiet. :lol:

this is 5th set of that match

• i think ITA was ranked #2 in the world in beijing and should have been in the final 4 but then...

ITA went to Beijing without Del Core and Aguero missed the first matches and played really bad especially against Brazil because her mom had just passed away. I think ITA was simply unlucky in 2008. And they lost to the US in a tie breaker in the quarter finals

• yeah, watching those matches after the fact, i recall ITA finished 2nd in their group (after that humiliation by BRA -- aguero was blocked so many times), which under the old rules meant they'd face CHN (3rd in the other pool) in the QFs, but fivb instituted the drawing of lots for 2-3, so they ended up facing the US and it was an epic battle... on the other hand, would they have preferred to face CHN instead, at home?????

bogdan, thanks for that. i'd forgotten i watched that video long time ago. it's too bad we can't find the whole match. my goodness, brayelin was on the bench back then. she was 15!

• yeah, watching those matches after the fact, i recall ITA finished 2nd in their group (after that humiliation by BRA -- aguero was blocked so many times), which under the old rules meant they'd face CHN (3rd in the other pool) in the QFs, but fivb instituted the drawing of lots for 2-3, so they ended up facing the US and it was an epic battle... on the other hand, would they have preferred to face CHN instead, at home?????

bogdan, thanks for that. i'd forgotten i watched that video long time ago. it's too bad we can't find the whole match. my goodness, brayelin was on the bench back then. she was 15!

I think they were happy about facing the US, because the US was not one of the main contenders to the title. It was really impressive that they beat not only ITA but also Cuba.

• well, they lost to CUB in pool play, but CUB self-destructed starting in the semis and bronze medal match. santos, best server of OG, put every ball into the net...

the 2008 US team was really a good one, but they really needed an overpowering OPP (haneef was ok, but ogonna and willoughby as her backups didn't add much either) and a good libero...

• Oh DOM x SRB, i try to forgot that match but i couldn't. Serbia leads 2-0 and final result was 3-2 for DOM but that isn't the funniest thing about that match, in that match Terzic in some moment become angry on his players and since that moment he didn't call a single time out, on techical he keep quiet. :lol:

this is 5th set of that match

What got me shook most actually was Terzic's hair XDXD got so used to his greys.

I wasn't prepared for that much... contrast.

• well, they lost to CUB in pool play, but CUB self-destructed starting in the semis and bronze medal match. santos, best server of OG, put every ball into the net...

the 2008 US team was really a good one, but they really needed an overpowering OPP (haneef was ok, but ogonna and willoughby as her backups didn't add much either) and a good libero...

I love the semifinal between CUB and the US. The US had such a nice game there...and I was happy because we the Brazilians were scared to face CUB in the final match lol

• yeah, beijing was the last hurrah for the legendary CUB dynasty. they won their group beating US and CHN, only to self-destruct. i can't imagine that that 2008 BRA team would be afraid of CUB then...

dang, i can't find the US x ITA QF from 2008 anymore... used to be on YT...

• Cuba! :heart:

Ramirez and Calderon going wild and fighting after their amazing win against the USA is history. :rolll:

I can't find the video anymore.

That was in the Grand Prix

• yeah, beijing was the last hurrah for the legendary CUB dynasty. they won their group beating US and CHN, only to self-destruct. i can't imagine that that 2008 BRA team would be afraid of CUB then...

dang, i can't find the US x ITA QF from 2008 anymore... used to be on YT...

There is only the tie break now...I also remember that the entire thing was on YT

memorable performance by Berg.

• sidney, do you remember the fight when CUB players physically punched a BRA male coach? that must have been in the GP too, decades ago...

No I dont...was it in 96?! The players beated each other in the finals of the GP that year. The GP was played after the Olympics. Brazil beat Cuba during the final four and there was a huge fight just like there was at the Olympics

• i just re-watched US x CUB semi from 2008. everything went wrong for CUB, not just 14 missed services, but all the dumb hitting errors and bad passing.

but i hadn't realized how good glass' passing was. in previous matches, US struggled so lang ping even instituted 4-woman passing sometimes, but glass had a good match, as did tom, scott, haneef... and willoughby off the bench with some big kills.

• Who was the back up OPP during that cycle? Metcalf?