Italy - Serie A1 2020/21

• I wonder why the very talented wife has to stop her career to stay with her husband which is an average player...

Her husband is just 22 and he's a good player. It's just his first pro season and he jumped from U Sports (which is not as good as NCAA IMHO) to the best men's league in the world. She's free to sacrifice herself in order to stay close to him + we're living the Covid-19 epoch, which also may be releted to her willing to stay close to him). It's her own choice. And people should respect it, just like we respect players' retirement and so on...

• No offence, but American players are consistently the biggest snowflakes in female volleyball, and it's not even close. Why is that (serious question)? And this isn't even just this year (which would be justified, after all).

I mean that's a bit much? They're already 12+ hours from home, have little support (unless they're lucky to have friends/other Americans at the club), and there's a huge culture change. It's not for everyone. She's decided she wants to be with her husband, support him and if anything comes along for her, that's a bonus. Don't think there's anything wrong with that.

I would bet most of you would go to Minnesota once and be like get me out of here :lol::lol::lol:

• I absolutely understand how someone wants to be next to a husband, near to family ......,All the above reasons absolutely stand, but it does not disprove the impression that Americans are "snowflakes", in fact is that not only Americans are in such a position. Certainly the fact that they actually have an alternative, and most of them are actually educated (compared to most other professional athletes who neglect school early), makes their decisions more understandable, though it doesn’t make them smaller flakes.

If they don't want to play professional volleyball no one can force them, but fans and actually consumers of professional sports (because there is no cosmic need to pass the ball over the net) have the right to express their opinion and impression, which IMO is not disrespect or anything like that.

*p.s. Belgrade - Istanbul is on less than 1,5 hour by airplane, but Tijana Boskovic said in jnterview that in 2019 she was just 2-3 week with her family in hometown, because of commitment and tight schedule, and for sure she is not the only one with this story. Significant to mention that she play abroad since she was 18yo.

• I absolutely understand how someone wants to be next to a husband, near to family ......,All the above reasons absolutely stand, but it does not disprove the impression that Americans are "snowflakes", in fact is that not only Americans are in such a position. Certainly the fact that they actually have an alternative, and most of them are actually educated (compared to most other professional athletes who neglect school early), makes their decisions more understandable, though it doesn’t make them smaller flakes.

If they don't want to play professional volleyball no one can force them, but fans and actually consumers of professional sports (because there is no cosmic need to pass the ball over the net) have the right to express their opinion and impression, which IMO is not disrespect or anything like that.

*p.s. Belgrade - Istanbul is on less than 1,5 hour by airplane, but Tijana Boskovic said in jnterview that in 2019 she was just 2-3 week with her family in hometown, because of commitment and tight schedule, and for sure she is not the only one with this story. Significant to mention that she play abroad since she was 18yo.

Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion but calling people snowflakes for wanting to choose family and love over a sport is a little unjustified. But hey, that’s just also my opinion.

I hear your point about Bosko, but she is also an easy flight home. In a normal season without Covid, if she has two days free, she could easily justify flying home for those two days and she surely has the money to do so. Also she’s one of the top paid players in the world, so we can’t act like it’s truly that big of a sacrifice. For Bosko maybe it makes more sense to choose the career. But for a rookie American, maybe the money she would get isn’t worth it for her. AND Bosko’s family and friends are also an easy flight to her. I follow her on social media and it looks like she has already had a few visitors. Plus I’ve seen interviews with a few American NT players where they said they basically didn’t go home for an entire year because they all train in California for USANT, and not all of them live in California. And we already know how busy the NT season is.

• what a pity

Degradi hhas been with bosetti the best outside hitter of the league

And now she's out

Acl

Wow she's gonna be out a lot of time from volleyball

• I don't know if my comment came across as rude or disrespectful, so I just wanted to say that definitely respect her choice. I just think it's bad that in most cases it is the women who's doing sacrifices for the family. And these sacrifices can cost them lots of money and financial dependency on men. But this require problematising our societies in general, which is something I won't do in this forum for everyone's sake.

But answering to another question, I think the lack of drive by some US players is due to the fact that since they have a degree, they can try to work in other areas as well. So, they are not dependent on volleyball to live as someone already mentioned. Look at Kristin Hildebrand now and her business on interior design. It seems to be thriving! Besides, many athletes prepared to get a sports-related scholarship... For some, this is the only way to enroll in a good College without paying lots of money or getting into a quite depreciative scheme of loans. So perhaps they don't actually worry about the sport because it was never their intention to play professionally. I also wonder if players in the US training centers get paid - this would explain lots of motivations too.

• I don't know if my comment came across as rude or disrespectful, so I just wanted to say that definitely respect her choice. I just think it's bad that in most cases it is the women who's doing sacrifices for the family. And these sacrifices can cost them lots of money and financial dependency on men. But this require problematising our societies in general, which is something I won't do in this forum for everyone's sake.

But answering to another question, I think the lack of drive by some US players is due to the fact that since they have a degree, they can try to work in other areas as well. So, they are not dependent on volleyball to live as someone already mentioned. Look at Kristin Hildebrand now and her business on interior design. It seems to be thriving! Besides, many athletes prepared to get a sports-related scholarship... For some, this is the only way to enroll in a good College without paying lots of money or getting into a quite depreciative scheme of loans. So perhaps they don't actually worry about the sport because it was never their intention to play professionally. I also wonder if players in the US training centers get paid - this would explain lots of motivations too.

It probably depends on the player. I know quite a few that don't like the sport but the sport led them to get a scholarship and it "pays the bills" to avoid loans. I can definitely see SSS following the "never really having the intention to play professionally". I guess its just a matter of perspectives or just my American one :lol:

• they’re some of the only players that has to travel 11+ hours everytime to play overseas.

I’m sure it’s not easy. Everyone’s choice is different. If she’s happy supporting her husband and being with him, why does any one care? The thing about Americans is they know they have options, they know they don’t HAVE to play which I think is a lovely thing.

I agree. Most of the American players are coming from good universities with a nice degree so they can get a nice job right after college. So it is not compulsory for them to put volleyball in the middle their life.

Many top players in other countries are coming from poor families (Zhu, Rasic etc) so playing volleyball professionally is only way to 'get rich'

Also it is a valid point that they have to travel overseas to play in a european club whereas other top players can either play in their own leagues or in Europe which is not far to their hometown

• I didn’t know she was married and still in Italy according to her instagram.

Let’s be honest, it is a great luxury that many American players have their degree therefore have an option to choose to play in a club or a career in their field.

From my own volleyball-fan side, I have read a few years ago in a Turkish forum that SSS was a great talent. After a while, user wrote that he was mistaken and she was just a bad imitation of Kreklow and real talent is Poulter. Still, when I read she was going to play in Italy, I was excited. Hope she is happy and will never regret her decision❤️

• Still, when I read she was going to play in Italy, I was excited. Hope she is happy and will never regret her decision❤️

I hope she's happy but her behavious was immature. She signed contract with Radomka in polish league. Club got her all papers, apartment, plane tickets etc.but she didn't appear in Poland. She said she was afraid of Covid and had no interest to play in Europe this year.

One month later, she flew to Italy and was practising with Casalmagiorre. After few days she decided not to sign a contract with them...

• savino first time won his dark beast cuneo

And monza won to trento

Finally my 2 fav teams being regular

• From my own volleyball-fan side, I have read a few years ago in a Turkish forum that SSS was a great talent. After a while, user wrote that he was mistaken and she was just a bad imitation of Kreklow and real talent is Poulter. Still, when I read she was going to play in Italy, I was excited. Hope she is happy and will never regret her decision❤️

Poulter vs SSS used to be a big debate here while they were in college.

Bad imitation of Kreklow, that's a good one (and about accurate) :lol: Poulter's always been the better of the two. Glad to see her in Italy and with the NT

• SSS touched on why she's not playing for Casalmaggiore... saying she had visa issues and things didn't feel right...

also mentioned she doesnt plan on playing (outside of the american league) unless she's in the same city as her husband

Convo started around 26:00

So who are Abbey and Holly? Are they professional volleyball players too?

• Toliver also left Roma pretty soon last year, if I'm not wrong around early december. She was rumored to play in Germany this year but didn't end up there

You're correct. She got sanctioned or suspended by some Italian authority. (someone else may be able to expand) Tribunale federale? because her reason (family emergency) didn't make sense or something

• You're correct. She got sanctioned or suspended by some Italian authority. (someone else may be able to expand) Tribunale federale? because her reason (family emergency) didn't make sense or something

Yes I was just reading about this now, she got a three months sanction because she left the team without any kind of notice and also changed her reasons (first it was a family emergency, then she talked about incompatibility with the club)

• Yes I was just reading about this now, she got a three months sanction because she left the team without any kind of notice and also changed her reasons (first it was a family emergency, then she talked about incompatibility with the club)

Some years ago she signed in Germany with Wiesbaden but when she arrived she didn't pass the medical test, so the club dissolved the contract. I don't remember the details but I think Toliver made some weird Instagram post afterwards claiming that this wasn't true :what: Looks like she causes trouble in several places...

• Some years ago she signed in Germany with Wiesbaden but when she arrived she didn't pass the medical test, so the club dissolved the contract. I don't remember the details but I think Toliver made some weird Instagram post afterwards claiming that this wasn't true :what: Looks like she causes trouble in several places...

Reading a release from Wiesbaden newspaper labeling her as "one of the best opposites" in the USA.... they were about to hoodwink themselves lol

It's all for the best. Hopefully Roma found a good replacement or a youngster to use. I've never followed the second division.