Prospects that never were

• On the top of my mind...

Sarah Petrausch

She was the outstanding player of the German junior NT that won WCH 2009, I think she was best scorer of the tournament and the only reason she didn't win MVP was that Brenda Castillo played in the same tournament. She made her senior NT debut in ECH the same year but she never managed to show a decent performance later on and was a big disappointment also in the league.

• Honestly Podolec's life match was against Germany at the European Olympic Qualifications 2008 in Halle, she killed the Germans with her standing serves. That game was a tremble match, besides Heike Beier played as libero in that match 8o

A severe shoulder injury ruined her career, after the Peking Olympic Games her shape was nowhere to be found.

Sorry for offtopic, but it was legendary moment for polish volleyball :D

So sad she became weak/average player after all. She played as MB, Opp and OH during her career. Definitely wasted talent.

• Maybe Hodge is a good example too? She suffered too many injuries :( I remember seeing her in NCAA with Glass and thinking that they were really amazing together.. she was really special in that level, and played super well pro at the beginning, but the injuries made it difficult for her to reach her potential.

• I would add Kelly Hunter. She was a great setter and leader in Nebraska. Many saw an bright future for her and the potential to become one of setters in USA national team. But last year she played in Beylikdüzü and failed big time. Just after one year overseas she quit playing volleyball at international level.

• Ivan Castellani won medals in youth/junior level WCh being important in all of them but then didn't really took off with senior NT or clubs. He had a million injuries too.

• Agree on both Ceren Kestirengöz and Rosanna Giel. Ceren was from the same generation with Van Hecke and Ceren was as good as her if not better but unfortunately she never recovered fully after her injury and then she switched to OH for a while and it didn't work well as expected. Now she is at the bench of FB.

Rosanna Giel reminded me of Carillo, she was a killer attacker and good blocker. After she left Cuba, she couldn't play international volleyball for 3 years and after that she was a ghost of her previous self. She gained a lot of weights , which probably affected her comeback as well.

• Maybe Hodge is a good example too? She suffered too many injuries :( I remember seeing her in NCAA with Glass and thinking that they were really amazing together.. she was really special in that level, and played super well pro at the beginning, but the injuries made it difficult for her to reach her potential.

No. She had a good run despite being injury prone. She won MVP at 2012 GP. She also actively played with some top clubs her whole career.

• I like this thread at the same time I feel bad about some of those athletes... One of the saddest is Malagurski's case :(

I would add also Natasa Natasa Cikiriz (OH), she was one of my fav players of Serbia junior 2010-2011

• Priscilla Daroit. She never really leveled up in comparison to her contemporaries like Natalia and Garay.

How could I forget about Daroit? Ju Nogueira too! Both were considered like huge prospects back in the day.

It's a shame Ju Nogueira suffered so many injuries and failed to develop to a decent level. At least Daroit has been playing constantly at club level for years now.