The best NT matches

• Japan-China 2012 Olympics semifinals

It was only the quarterfinal.

Japan battled Brazil in the semifinal

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• My favourite one is Japan-Brasil semifinal (Tokyo 2010, Women's World Championship)
    Japan was close to be in final, unfortunately, after great match they won bronze medal ;)

JPN : Takeshita, Inoue, Yamamoto, Yamaguchi, Kimura, Ebata, Sano (L)

BRA: Fabiola, Fabiana, Thaisa, Jaqueline, Natalia, Sheilla, Fabi (L)

Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - Olympic Games 2012
    Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - European Championship 2015
    Silver Medal
    - Prediction Game - Women's - Olympic Games 2012

がんばれ 日本!

• Of course my list mostly includes Dutch NT matches:saint:

1. Olympic Games 2012 Quater Final

Brazil 3-2 Russia

This match made me fall in love with volleyball! What a thrilling match this was, with a great comeback from Brazil thanks to two of the best players ever IMO: Sheilla and Thaisa:super:

2. Olympic Games 2016 preliminary round

The Netherlands 3-2 China

In this match the Dutch team showed they were capable of making an upset in the Olympics.

3. Olympic Games 2016 preliminary round

USA 3-2 The Netherlands

Maybe the best quality the Dutch team ever showed. They played really good and everyone was involved. Unfortunately Balkestein-Grothues got injured in the fourth set:( IMO the Netherlands could have won the match if this didn't have happened, because she was the best player on court even in offensive play she did a great job.

4. Olympic Games 2016 Semi Final
    China 3-1 The Netherlands

This was such a tight match with every set going to the maximum points. #Plakpower and the heavily injured Balkestein-Grothues almost changed the match when they came on court in the fourth set, but Zhu Ting was just to much.

5. World Championship 2018 third round

The Netherlands 3-2 USA

What a comback from the Netherlands after they lost the first 2 sets!:cheesy: Sloëtjes scoring 38 points in that macth!!! Such a shame de Kruijf and Daalderop weren't there, but Lohuis stepped up that tournament.

6. World Grand Prix 2016 Final

Brazil 3-2 USA

So sad that was the last high level match between the rivals Brazil and USA. The middle blockers, Thaisa, Fabiana, Adams and Akinradewo were so good!:obey:

7. World Grand Prix 2016 Bronze Medal Match

The Netherlands 3-2 Russia

Great comeback from the Netherlands after they lost the first 2 sets and they finally were able to beat Russia.

8. European Olympic Qualifications 2016

The Netherlands 3-0 Turkey

The Netherlands blew Turkey of the court that day. but they had to after their loss against Germany. The squad was carried by experienced forces Stam - Pilon and Steenbergen. What a fighters:box:

9. World Championship 2014 Semi final

USA 3-0 Brazil

I'm a big fan of Brazil, but USA introduced the fast system that tournament. Glass with her megical hands and her physical strength at the net! She was a big reason why Hill performed so good and became the MVP.

10. Olympic Games 2012 Quater Final

Japan 3-2 China

Japan showed defense can win from offense that match. Sano one of the best libero in the world digged so many balls, Takashita playing such a creative style and Kimura showed what an all-round outside hitter looks like:win:

• But what about 1996 Atlanta Men's Olympic Final? :what:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• We are only talking about the REAL volleyball here.:P

jk:D

• But what about 1996 Atlanta Men's Olympic Final? :what:

I wasn't even born back then and I don't watch men's volleyball🙈 But it has been called the sports moment of the 20th century in the Netherlands, so a great moment for Dutch volleyball!:cup:

• 2004 OG final China-Russia 3-2

This was my second favorite match. This match is extra special for me because this was the first match I've ever watched and fell in love with volleyball. So many iconic players were in that match

This is my favorite game of all times... my second one was Brazil 3x0 Italy OG 2008, I was really afraid of that team, Italy had a dream team, but it was so easy! how many blocks Brazil had that game?! Just remembering it give me the chills... Really good!

Then, one day I just stopped watching volleyball. I don't know if it was Fofão's retirement, or the introduction of the USA's fast system that I didn't like very much. I didn't even watch the 2016 Olympics. But back in 2018 I was looking for something to watch and they were broadcasting SRB x NED VNL 2018 (It was an amazing comeback for NED, losing 2x0, and winning the tie-break 20x18, Boskovic was unbelievable in that game, but they lost to an inspired Belien - she did almost 10 points in that tie-break) and I felt in love again. It's kind of an useless game, it's not OG, World Championship, nothing really important, but it has a special place in my heart :D

• Cool to know, sloth!:drink:

But IMO you had nothing to fear for your squad in Beijing 2008. That was probably, on paper, the strongest NT squad in 21st century (only 2004 China and Russia could really compete with it).

• Looking back, I have to say my favourite team (aside from Serbia) was 2003-2006 Poland. I just love it, and have enjoyed watching all the matches of it I could get my hands of (at the time, I wasn't yet a fan of volleyball). Favorite matches are semifinal and final of 2003 Europeam Championship. Getting back from 1-2 down against Gemany and then thrashing Turkey in the final (I think it might be the most one-sided EC final of this century), with 20 year-old future superstars Neslihan and Skowronska!:heart:Unfortunately, outside of Europe, they din't achieve anything of note outside of Europe.;(

• Cool to know, sloth!:drink:

But IMO you had nothing to fear for your squad in Beijing 2008. That was probably, on paper, the strongest NT squad in 21st century (only 2004 China and Russia could really compete with it).

Brazil was losing to Italy during the entire cycle, including some important matches, that's why most of us were very afraid of them :cheesy:

• I think anyone from here beside Latinos like me know this match

Cuba vs Brasil PanAmerican Games Rio 2007

A great rivalry became a fight in the "Maracanazinho" home of Brazil where was played the Rio16 Finals

After cuba won everything at 90s,Brazil dominates them all the 2000s,only Cuba won at Bronze medal match in Athenas.

I thought that Brazil would've won because they were better than cuba despite me rooting for Cuba

It was the match of my life,i loved Calderon and Ruiz,their jumping was awesome and they played incredible

Barros and Carrillo were shouting in Brasilians faces all time and also Ramirez.

In Brazil,Sheilla and Paula were stunning,they were doing almost everything in attack because Sassa was so weak that game

Fabiana did some monster blocks in Calderon

They had a lot of match points in 4th and 5th set and they couldn't close

EPIC MATCH

• Italy vs China 3-2, World Championship SF 2018

The 4th and 5th sets were heartbreaking. After losing the 4th set, I thought Italy would have mentally collapsed but then special mention to Egonu who showed such bravery until the end.

I just watched the match and you were right, what a GREAT match!!!:obey:

You know the tune they use after a long rally: “This is volleyball”. Well, this match shows what volleyball is IMO! Both teams playing flawless and at their best:super:

I'm not the biggest fan of China, but they have a really balanced team with strong players at every position. Lead by the best player of the world: Zhu Ting. She is just phenomenal, good in all aspects of the game. They use the middles a lot more as Italy and that is the merit of Ding Xia. Her sets to the slide are spot on and really difficult to read for the opponent. Yuan and Yan Ni aren’t just great attackers, but also strong in block. Opposite Gong and libero Wang are the silent weapons for the team. They do not stand out, but their work in defense is key for the way Ding Xia can set her attackers. The second outside hitter position is wide open, where they can use both Zhang and Li. Zhang brings more stability in serve receive and Li bring more firepower at the net.

Everything worked out perfectly for Italy this match (tournament). Egonu just great in attack, both in system and out of system. Good thing she became way more stable the last two years. Malinov did a great job delivering a decent ball to Egonu when they were out of system, but when they were in system, she played really fast to the outside. Bosetti and De Gennaro made sure they could play a lot in system, because their service reception was really good. Also the fast bumpsets of De Gennaro, just awesome! They are the real leaders of the team and ensure that the team keeps a cool head through their experience. Also Sylla received pretty good and helped out Egonu in attack. Both middles, Danesi and Chirichella, probably played their life tournament. Especially in block they were really important for the team.

Hope both teams can find this form again next year during the Olympics and they are one of the many favourites for the gold medal; Serbia the strongest team in the last few years. USA is much stronger than during WCH, solving their problems on the setter position. They probaply have the strongest outside hitters in one roster of all national teams and have some new talented players at the middle blocker position. The same applies to Brazil as to the USA. Macris solved the problem at the setter position and Thaisa is back in beast mode. Also Gabi became one of the best outside hitters in the world. Finally you have Turkey as dark horse. Can Guidetti do the same he did with the Netherlands in Rio?

Can't wait to watch live volleyball matches again and let's hope some matches of the Olympics 2020 will finish in this list of best NT matches!:cheesy:

https://www.volleyballworld.tv/video/15661?playlistId=1219

• I don't know if was in the semis or in group phase but in one of those zhang only did 1 POINT

Incredible and that point was a bad defense from sylla,an overpass

In the other game she wasn't appear also

• I don't know if was in the semis or in group phase but in one of those zhang only did 1 POINT

Incredible and that point was a bad defense from sylla,an overpass

In the other game she wasn't appear also

Zhang was still recovering from a surgery in WCH’18 as you can see she wore the same protective kit on her leg as Thaisa. She was far from her best form in that tournament. Zhang was in the starting 6 mostly because she and Gong could free Zhu from receiving in some rotations. If Li was on court, Zhu and Gong had to receive in all rotations as Li’s passing wasn’t good enough at that time.

• Dominican Republic vs China 2-3, World Championship 2014

DOM played a number of 5 set matches in this competition but this was my favourite because Castillo was absolutely brilliant. She just seemed to dig everything, it was incredible. It wasn't just Castillo of course, DOM in general played at the top of their game and in the end China were too good, but it was a really good battle and surely one of the best libero performances I've seen.

Normally not a game I would watch, because both China and Dominican Republic aren't my favorite teams. On the other hand Castillo is one of my favourit players, so you made me curious to watch this game. You didn't say to much, because what a great performance in defense by Castillo and a nice match to watch with a lot of rally's!:cheesy: I think they should use her performance in this game to learn young libero's how you should read the opponents game. She was everywhere on court and made dig after dig. Also her sets in transition are one of the best in the world:obey: Doesn't matter where she is on court, she can deliver a perfect set for the attacker. IMO De Gennaro is a bit more consistent, but when Castillo plays at the top of her game, she is the more complete libero. Also De La Cruz impressed me, what a dominant attacker she was back than!:box: Marte reminds me a bit of Dijkema:S Playing a solid game, but in the important moments very shaky and not involving the middles at all.

As for China, Zhu Ting already a beast in attack but a bit clumsy in defense:D I always love Zeng Chunlei her smile :) Also Yuan with a great performance for a 17 year old! Wonder what happened to Shen Jingsi, Yang Junjing and Shan Danna? Can't remember them playing for the Chinees NT after the WCH 2014 and they played pretty good back than.

• Normally not a game I would watch, because both China and Dominican Republic aren't my favorite teams. On the other hand Castillo is one of my favourit players, so you made me curious to watch this game. You didn't say to much, because what a great performance in defense by Castillo and a nice match to watch with a lot of rally's!:cheesy: I think they should use her performance in this game to learn young libero's how you should read the opponents game. She was everywhere on court and made dig after dig. Also her sets in transition are one of the best in the world:obey: Doesn't matter where she is on court, she can deliver a perfect set for the attacker. IMO De Gennaro is a bit more consistent, but when Castillo plays at the top of her game, she is the more complete libero. Also De La Cruz impressed me, what a dominant attacker she was back than!:box: Marte reminds me a bit of Dijkema:S Playing a solid game, but in the important moments very shaky and not involving the middles at all.

As for China, Zhu Ting already a beast in attack but a bit clumsy in defense:D I always love Zeng Chunlei her smile :) Also Yuan with a great performance for a 17 year old! Wonder what happened to Shen Jingsi, Yang Junjing and Shan Danna? Can't remember them playing for the Chinees NT after the WCH 2014 and they played pretty good back than.

Jingsi shen was the back-up setter till 2015 but then appeared ding xia and she wasn't considerer to rio and didn't appear this last year

Yang yunying was a very good middle blocker

She was injured in that game i think and don't play the finals

Aftee that yuan occuped her place till now and she reappeared but in bench

• I was in Tokyo on vacation and hence my profile photo for the 2018 Women's World Championships as I attended matches in Nagoya (3rd Round) and then the Final.

Was going to dinner with Japanese friends on Friday night, Japan was to play at 7 pm in the fifth place match. However, I was the first to arrive for the dinner, so I was alone, but I had my portable wifi and looked at my phone at the end of the 4th set with Italy having a chance to win. I was streaming my FIVB subscription from the states with Flosports, to watch it in Japan. The fifth set also had tension. Egonu on fumes with 46 and ending the match. Match ended before all of my friends showed up, so I got lucky to watch it all.

• It's been two years today since this match was played. If you're in lockdown (again:rolleyes:) I highly recommend spending some time watching Poland vs. Turkey at Tokyo Volleyball Qualification. It's one of most tense, and exciting matches I've ever watched and I think I have watched the 4th and 5th set like 10 times again in the past two years. It's an absolute thriller

Also the posts above have been an inspiration to me in these times, so I recommend watching some of these as well ;)

PS. I am still not over our 0-3 lost game against Germany ;(

• When it comes to men's matches, there is definitely the Poland-USA 2018 semi-final, and when it comes to women's matches, I have 2 types: Euro 2019 Serbia-Turkey final and Poland-Turkey 2020 match ~> 2 great matches and this men's semi-final match was fantastic:sos::drink: