Japan - V.League V1 (Division 1, Women) 2020-2021

• Mami Uchiseto joins Saitama. Probably means Mako Shiina's road to greatness is in jeopardy :(

And Saitama announced their new Head Coach: Antônio Marcos Lerbach, a Brazilian dude who was recently an assistant coach at Osaka Blazers Sakai.

• So many positive vibes inside this topic. :heart:

Also a lot of heartbreak and confusion :S

• V.League adopts "Remote Match" as moniker for unattended matches

It's tough to understand grammar initiatives through google translate but the V.League recently had a poll type thing to change how they will refer to matches that are played with limited or no spectators. "Unattended", or whatever it was in Japanese, highlighted the negative side of the equation. "Remote Match" highlights that there is still a connection with spectators, albeit remotely. Or something like that.

I hope this means they will broadcast more of the matches

• Do we know which players will play in Japan and their teams? I know some players are rumored to play in Japan but I guess we don't know it exactly yet.

What we know is posted a few posts up on the first page (after all the team posts that I haven’t finished yet) HERE

• denzz Japan is kinda weird and tight-lipped about comings and goings. In summary we have official resignations from:

• Ivna Columbo OP (Himeji)
    • Fabiana Claudino MB (Hisamitsu)
    • Kaewkalaya Kamulthala MB (JT)
    • Berenika Tomsia OP (NEC)
    • Thanacha Sooksod OH & Jennifer Doris MB (PFU)
    • Keti OP (Saitama)
    • Neriman OP (Toyota)

If we look at who has refreshed their home page roster with new local players and not removed their foreigners (doubly telling if their V.League roster has done the same, because V.League are pretty solid at removing a player when they get a resignation):

• Denso still has Sinéad Jack & Trần Thị Thanh Thúy (I think they stay)
    • Hitachi still has Hannah Tapp (I think she stays)
    • JT still has Annie Drews (I think she stays)
    • Kurobe has removed Simone Lee but V.League still has her (I think she goes)
    • Toray still has Jana Kulan (tough call)

The only incoming rumors listed at volleybox (which loves to list rumors as soon as anyone hears them) are:

• Indre Sorokaite to Toyota (I think it happens)
    • Kathryn Plummer to Denso or Saitama (I think Saitama is more likely than Denso)

The for sure open teams are (Okayama doesn't do foreigners):

• Himeji (not a top tier destination, but they'd kill with a Sorokaite)
    • Hisamitsu (likely would only hire a MB)
    • NEC (Should under no circumstances hire a foreigner)
    • PFU (not a top tier destination)
    • Saitama (I think JaJa stays so they don't need MB)
    • Toyota (they desperately need Sorokaite)
  • Hey mami uchiseto transferred to ageo medic! Also they hired brazilian coach? Wondering, will they still hire a foreign player? Looks like they have good and deep lineup for open hitters. They should maximize them.

The two OH spots are solid with Mami and Yuri Yoshino. We don't know if anyone else can hit from the right side because Keti's been there.

I joke about Mako Shiina (OH) because she had one ace serve last year that made the coach smile. What's curious to me is that they have two OHs who crushed it in High School but seem almost irrelevant now: Miyuki Horie and Shuri Yamaguchi. They were team mates to Ai Kurogo when they won the Championship. When I watch those games they both looked, well, if not better than Kurogo, at least more beastly. Especially Yamaguchi. She was a major bomber and won Best OP, so maybe it's her time to shine now

• The two OH spots are solid with Mami and Yuri Yoshino. We don't know if anyone else can hit from the right side because Keti's been there.

I joke about Mako Shiina (OH) because she had one ace serve last year that made the coach smile. What's curious to me is that they have two OHs who crushed it in High School but seem almost irrelevant now: Miyuki Horie and Shuri Yamaguchi. They were team mates to Ai Kurogo when they won the Championship. When I watch those games they both looked, well, if not better than Kurogo, at least more beastly. Especially Yamaguchi. She was a major bomber and won Best OP, so maybe it's her time to shine now

I hope so. Yamaguchi was on bench for 2 seasons when keti came in if i remember it correctly. Well, what do you expect if a player will stay on bench. Their skills will more likely won't improve.

I think akinradewo will also back to hisamitsu. Other teams i don't know mostly they only announce the foreign player few weeks before the league start? And we don't even have exact date. How's the covid status in japan? Hope it won't affect the league and Olympic next yr.

• biggest problem right now for Japanese League is that so many countries are in a travel ban (coming to Japan), including USA and Europe.

Agents can be working to get the players contracts, but basically, they are going to have to quarantine (if reopened in Japan) for 14 days as soon as arriving, plus no public transportation to get to teams. So teams will have to pick them up possibly at the airport and then have them not do anything for 2 weeks. Players may be arriving in July/August because we have no schedule yet.

• (KUROBE) Ranna Shiraiwa (OH) and Natsumi Watabiki (MB) are upgraded from 退団 (Leaving) to 退団から変更 (Change from leaving). Probably means Transfer Hoping as opposed to staying with Kurobe.

:love:

Ranna was already one of those fan-favorite types (despite the fact she played college ball). She's wonderfully suited to join the stylin' Himeji squad. Fingers crossed.

Natsumi joined Kurobe in 18-19 (after college, as well) but hardly played. She blossomed in 19-20, tied with Aika Akutagawa for 5th place in Blocks/Set. She looks like a real player with strong positive vibes.

Good news!

• I don't see Hisamitsu Springs as a title contender anymore, unless Foluke actually signs for them and comes back to her best shape.

Is Nagaoka still playing volleyball?

• I don't see Hisamitsu Springs as a title contender anymore, unless Foluke actually signs for them and comes back to her best shape.

Is Nagaoka still playing volleyball?

Nagaoka is still practicing with the team. She is in twitter photos with team.

Does that mean she also leaves Japan NT? That's a huge blow for them as Shinnabe is arguably their best passer.

she is completely done. Big hole for Japanese passing. Plus she was a passing opposite. Now my thought would be Ishii, Kurogo and Koga/Mayu Ishikawa as your three starters. Nabeya off the bench.

• FYI - I improved the Table of Incoming and Outgoing Players by putting them side by side so you can get a quick glance at who's losing more players than they are signing new ones so far. Most teams are about even except for PFU, Saitama, and Toyota.

• Just watched an old Empress Cup 2016 with Toray and the Saoris v Hitachi. Saori Sakoda has to be as good as it gets at landing on two feet after a spike. Good healthy technique.