South Korea - Women's V-League 2020-2021

• KOVO Dodram V-League 2020-2021

Round 5 Match 12 (#172) - GS Caltex Seoul KIXX vs. KGC Ginseng Corp. - February 14th, 2021

Highlights:

https://sports.news.naver.com/…o&id=762844&redirect=true

http://vod.afreecatv.com/PLAYER/STATION/68589229

Full Replay:

https://sports.news.naver.com/…o&id=762829&redirect=true

https://programs.sbs.co.kr/spo…gue/vod/66992/22000403884

http://vod.afreecatv.com/PLAYER/STATION/68588197

Match Photos & Videos:

http://thespike.co.kr/news/new…hp?ncode=1065604759835713

Match Result:

Match Stats Summary:

MVP:

Current Team Standings:

Upcoming Schedule:

• I really wanna know what goes on between KYK & the twins. Whose at fault? Does KYK really bullied the girls? Man. This is crazy.

This is 100% speculation but I think the twins simply couldn't deal with KYK's forthright and honest way of dealing with things. I believe the twins expected the Pink Spiders to be their team and be the centre of attention. When reality sunk in that KYK was really the leader of the team and was the one that called the shots, it was difficult for the twins to deal with it. LDY, being the sensitive and passive-aggresive person she is, took to social media to voice her concerns rather than keeping it internal. This ultimately led to the feud becoming public (and the victims being triggered and going public with the twins' past acts).

I think this ordeal is a gold mine for psychologists and sociologists alike. The twins were clearly entitled from a young age due to their mother being a professional volleyball player, and used this power imbalance to bully others. I believe this entitlement has carried on throughout their adult lives, each believing themselves to be the "ones" and needing to be the centre of attention (from a volleyball perspective). Prior to this year, LJY was the face of the Pink Spiders. This was her team and she was expected to carry them. While Hyundai Hillstate had Yang Hyojin, LDY was the "face" of the team who everyone dote on and Yang Hyojin, who has a mild and laid back personality, was happy to let that happen. Once KYK stepped in this year, it was a case where KYK and the twins just simply couldn't co-exist. In professional sports, this problems are common and it's up to the athletes to be able to be mature about it and sacrifice for the team. Sometimes they don't (Kobe and Shaq) and sometimes they do (Lebron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh). In this case, I believe KYK tried but the twins didn't.

• This is 100% speculation but I think the twins simply couldn't deal with KYK's forthright and honest way of dealing with things. I believe the twins expected the Pink Spiders to be their team and be the centre of attention. When reality sunk in that KYK was really the leader of the team and was the one that called the shots, it was difficult for the twins to deal with it. LDY, being the sensitive and passive-aggresive person she is, took to social media to voice her concerns rather than keeping it internal. This ultimately led to the feud becoming public (and the victims being triggered and going public with the twins' past acts).

Interesting. What is Sport without a little controversy or off the court incident...yet I believe that team managers could have tried to calm things down before matters got out of control.

• Interesting. What is Sport without a little controversy or off the court incident...yet I believe that team managers could have tried to calm things down before matters got out of control.

Agreed. Having a strong front office and coaching staff is important. Not to say that Pink Spider's is lacking, but I think in this case it was the difficulty of approaching KYK and the twins with a resolution. KYK returning was already sort of a contentious situation to begin with given her previous disputes over wanting to play abroad. As great as KYK is, having someone "larger than life" join the team makes it difficult to operate a team as you normally would due to the natural deference given to that person. Imagine being the coach and having to confront KYK with something like this and tell her to sort it out.

Moreover, I believe all parties simply could've dealt with it better. LDY decided to deal with it through instagram posts when she, LJY and KYK should've just (wo)manned up and settled it with a conversation. Alternatively, they could've brought the coaching staff in to mediate instead of trying to take things into their own hands. This was a battle of egos and unfortunately these types of situations rarely end well.

• GS' top players - kang sohwi and lee soyoung will be FA after this season, i think.

Will be interesting to see if they'll stay on with GS or move to other teams.

I really really hope both Kang Sohwi and Lee Soyoung stay on GS Caltex. They are quickly becoming my favourite team, and if you watch their games, they are a team. GS Caltex is a great example of what Pink Spiders failed to have - egos in check. If you watch GS Caltex games and their videos on YouTube, you'll notice how there isn't any ego clashing. This team operates more as a family than a team. LSY and KSH are the obvious stars of the team, but both have great personalities who don't try to impose themselves onto others. I've noticed that other members of the team, even those who are in the "lower ranks" and do not play in games, aren't afraid to joke around and chat with LSY and KSH. Contrast this with a previously posted video where IBK rookies had to bring soup to the seniors. There is no intimidation by the stars and everyone feels comfortable with one another. Merete Lutz is probably the most dangerous player on the team in terms of spiking, but her happy-go-lucky personality makes her fun to be around. Like LSY and KSH, no one is intimidated by Lutz, despite her being 6'8" and American. I've become a huge fan of Lutz because it seems she is genuinely happy to be in Korea and appreciative of the experience she's gaining playing there. There are then role players who act as the "glue" to the team, including Kim-Yuri, An Hye-Jin and Han Sooji. These players bring the experience needed for the team to succeed but know their roles and play their parts. Finally, the coach of GS Caltex seems to play more of a big-brother role to the players than a coach. They love him and he loves them back and they're constantly joking around with each other.

Comfortability is such an integral part of a team (not just in athletics but anything) and I think is often underrated. Being comfortable around your peers leads to less stress, being happier and being able to cooperate more effectively. GS Caltex has this down pat. Unfortunately with Lutz being in the second year of her foreign player contract, I hope this team can win it all this year.

• Agreed. Having a strong front office and coaching staff is important. Not to say that Pink Spider's is lacking, but I think in this case it was the difficulty of approaching KYK and the twins with a resolution. KYK returning was already sort of a contentious situation to begin with given her previous disputes over wanting to play abroad. As great as KYK is, having someone "larger than life" join the team makes it difficult to operate a team as you normally would due to the natural deference given to that person. Imagine being the coach and having to confront KYK with something like this and tell her to sort it out.

Moreover, I believe all parties simply could've dealt with it better. LDY decided to deal with it through instagram posts when she, LJY and KYK should've just (wo)manned up and settled it with a conversation. Alternatively, they could've brought the coaching staff in to mediate instead of trying to take things into their own hands. This was a battle of egos and unfortunately these types of situations rarely end well.

Indeed, and conflict resolution was somewhat easier during my VB playing days when we didn’t have IG or Twitter on which we can share our thoughts with the click of a button...and thousands of netizens will help to make things worse 😐

Moreover, I believe all parties simply could've dealt with it better. LDY decided to deal with it through instagram posts when she, LJY and KYK should've just (wo)manned up and settled it with a conversation.

hm, doesn’t seem like kyk’s character to not want to talk it out though? from what i’ve seen, she likes to put things out upfront and say things sometimes brutally honestly but nonetheless not one to shy away from a conversation.

Alternatively, they could've brought the coaching staff in to mediate instead of trying to take things into their own hands.

but this i do agree, the management should have done something about it from the very beginning when there were rumours of discord in the team. something like kgc to present a more united front. instead, they did nothing and look where we are now...

• I really really hope both Kang Sohwi and Lee Soyoung stay on GS Caltex. They are quickly becoming my favourite team, and if you watch their games, they are a team. GS Caltex is a great example of what Pink Spiders failed to have - egos in check. If you watch GS Caltex games and their videos on YouTube, you'll notice how there isn't any ego clashing. This team operates more as a family than a team. LSY and KSH are the obvious stars of the team, but both have great personalities who don't try to impose themselves onto others. I've noticed that other members of the team, even those who are in the "lower ranks" and do not play in games, aren't afraid to joke around and chat with LSY and KSH. Contrast this with a previously posted video where IBK rookies had to bring soup to the seniors. There is no intimidation by the stars and everyone feels comfortable with one another.

So well said, gotta agree with ya. They have the best defense, best teamwork, best support system. I teared when they rallied around Kim Yuri for getting MVP.

Teamwork makes the dreamwork. They're almost done with 5th round, on to 6th...

May the best team win.

• This is 100% speculation but I think the twins simply couldn't deal with KYK's forthright and honest way of dealing with things. I believe the twins expected the Pink Spiders to be their team and be the centre of attention. When reality sunk in that KYK was really the leader of the team and was the one that called the shots, it was difficult for the twins to deal with it. LDY, being the sensitive and passive-aggresive person she is, took to social media to voice her concerns rather than keeping it internal. This ultimately led to the feud becoming public (and the victims being triggered and going public with the twins' past acts).

I think this ordeal is a gold mine for psychologists and sociologists alike. The twins were clearly entitled from a young age due to their mother being a professional volleyball player, and used this power imbalance to bully others. I believe this entitlement has carried on throughout their adult lives, each believing themselves to be the "ones" and needing to be the centre of attention (from a volleyball perspective). Prior to this year, LJY was the face of the Pink Spiders. This was her team and she was expected to carry them. While Hyundai Hillstate had Yang Hyojin, LDY was the "face" of the team who everyone dote on and Yang Hyojin, who has a mild and laid back personality, was happy to let that happen. Once KYK stepped in this year, it was a case where KYK and the twins just simply couldn't co-exist. In professional sports, this problems are common and it's up to the athletes to be able to be mature about it and sacrifice for the team. Sometimes they don't (Kobe and Shaq) and sometimes they do (Lebron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh). In this case, I believe KYK tried but the twins didn't.

I agree with this and your analysis. If you look at the shows Kim & teammates have been on she just roasts everybody (including the guests sometimes)

• I believe in an interview Coach Park already said to LDY put SNS on hold, but i guess that didn’t work.

GS chemistry is no joke, even the coach is really funny and willing to participate in creating content for youtube (i remember they pulled a prank on KSH).

• Wow this is madness.

First of, I AM CRYING AT THE FACT THAT I SEE T-ARA FANBOYS/GIRLS/WHATEVER here sfdljkfndjksfdnjkjkn <3 I for one also did not expect them but I loved them so much too <3 even after the scandal lol, Sugar Free a bop :heart:

It indeed resembles the T-ARA bullying scandal though, the way the twins started accusing someone and got accused later on.

I have to say, my initial reaction to this was like: ''Oh no K-netz are back at it again, this was 10 years ago...''
    But wow, that is some nasty bullying stories actually and I'm out of words :white: The twins always seemed to have been very pretty and succesfull in life but it doesn't mean you get to belittle or take advantage of everyone else, in humility they seemed to have lacked at least those years ago. It was long ago so the twins really should have tried to reach out to their victim much earlier imo which is something that could have shown growth.

Regardless, I'm glad they will now take the time to apologize to the victim in-person, I still don't think this scandal alone should strip them off their carreer. However I feel the punishment here would have to do with the fact that not only this happened, but it seemed like they were conspiring to end KYKs carreer as well 8| Projecting events of their own past onto her... It would make it awkward in NT I guess for as long as KYK is here and with that almost impossible in theory that they don't receive any punishment realistically and especially in Korea.

I really hope the twins can take this time first to self-reflect and learn from it, after that I also would love to see them with the NT and not have their carreers taken from them. The main scandal was still 10 years ago after all, I don't think any of us were angels as pre-teens, I can speak for myself that I certainly wasn't.

• "This is 100% speculation but I think the twins simply couldn't deal with KYK's forthright and honest way of dealing with things. I believe the twins expected the Pink Spiders to be their team and be the centre of attention. When reality sunk in that KYK was really the leader of the team and was the one that called the shots, it was difficult for the twins to deal with it. "

"In this case, I believe KYK tried but the twins didn't."

ofcourse when they both signed on the same team, it was expected of them to take the team all the way, kyk coming back was just making it a definite win(unbeatable). center of attention wouldn't be what I'd call it lol but it was a surprise for everyone though.

I do agree LDY shouldn't have used social media to voice herself like that and should have solved it differently. in this case, I'd say the same about the victim too (not trying to say it's wrong). she used it because it was her last resort, and so did the victims.

and honestly, this isn't the first time the twins and kyk had issues together. KYK and LJY had issues back then also and she used the media during an interview to get her message through but ofcourse it all became good.

I believed they all tried somehow but it didn't solve anything because everyone had a different approach and resolution.

nobody is wrong or not wrong

• If I understand correctly, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but LDY's transfer to Pink Spiders occurred prior to KYK's transfer (or even before it was public that KYK wanted to return to Pink Spiders). LDY's transfer was completed in spring (April 2020?) whereas it only became news that KYK may be returning in June 2020. When LDY signed, it was well expected that this would be LJY and LDY's team moving forward and as a result, they would be the center of attention. Possibly the only person in Korean volleyball that could've taken that away from the twins was KYK, and that's exactly what happened.

For the record, I am not saying that anybody is right or wrong. Unfortunately it was just a clashing of personalities that ultimately led to what we have now. This is all speculation, of course.

• I believe in an interview Coach Park already said to LDY put SNS on hold, but i guess that didn’t work.

GS chemistry is no joke, even the coach is really funny and willing to participate in creating content for youtube (i remember they pulled a prank on KSH).

The GS Caltex youtube channel is awesome. That team just radiates energy and positivity.

• LDY and LJY are social darlings

Yes, LDY and LJY are part-time athletes, part-time idols. That's another factor why everyone is so angry, they simply feel betrayed.

Dispute with KYK - as if the bullying wasn't enough, the fact that the twins had a dispute with one of the biggest athletes in Korean history, KYK, just adds fuel to the fire.

Yes, KYK is important part of this whole case. As others already mentioned, the victim posted her story after reading LDY accusations against KYK. Majority thinks that LDY tried to manipulate people using her SNS and set them against Kim (national hero). Ultimately Lee was unmasked, not only as a hypocrite but a violent perpetrator. It feels like poetic justice for some people. It is captivating narrative but whether it's true or not we just don't know. Lee sisters are all alone now, there are no voices of support from volleyball community. Sadly, KYK was probably the only person in Korean Volleyball that could help them in such hard times.

If you want to monitor current situation, look here (bullying scandal) and here (KYK-LDJ conflict). This is namuwiki sort of Korean wikipedia. They definitely do like footnotes and do a lot of additional detective work.

• If I understand correctly, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but LDY's transfer to Pink Spiders occurred prior to KYK's transfer (or even before it was public that KYK wanted to return to Pink Spiders). LDY's transfer was completed in spring (April 2020?) whereas it only became news that KYK may be returning in June 2020. When LDY signed, it was well expected that this would be LJY and LDY's team moving forward and as a result, they would be the center of attention. Possibly the only person in Korean volleyball that could've taken that away from the twins was KYK, and that's exactly what happened.

For the record, I am not saying that anybody is right or wrong. Unfortunately it was just a clashing of personalities that ultimately led to what we have now. This is all speculation, of course.

yes you are correct. and it was very surprising but she also had no choice but to join HK because her 6 year contract didn't end yet before she went overseas. although I'm pretty sure with her influence, she could've played with any team. don't get me wrong, I was very much excited as much as everyone too.

• Sadly, KYK was probably the only person in Korean Volleyball that could help them in such hard times.

I doubt that the twins would ask her. yes I'd hope that was the case and they'd play vball again stating the whole situation as media play for some political cover up.