South Korea - Women's V-League 2020-2021

• Congratulations to GS Caltex. Very happy especially for Lee So-young and Coach Cha, who both showed you can have success by trusting your young players and treating them with respect, like equal human beings (I won't name names...). No one is bigger than the team. No one is left behind. Every player has a role.

This is a new era, and Cha is a new breed coach. Hopefully, the success they have this year will serve as a model for the future of Korean volleyball, putting all those dinosaurs and their mentality away forever. I, for one, am not looking forward to the potential return of a certain commentator behind the bench of a new club.

Lee Ju-ah has been the revelation of the playoffs for me. She certainly stepped up, schooled both Kim Hee-jin and Kim Su-ji, and was the best MB of the finals, averaging over 0,9 blocks per set. She has shown she could perform under pressure, getting better and better as the stakes got higher.

I would bring her to the VNL at least and give her a good look. She seems to have improved her timing on blocks, which was a big weakness of hers. If she can ever put it all together, she brings a different skill set than other Korean MBs. She's got that nimbleness, that elusiveness built for quick and slide attacks. Her feet are quick, but more importantly, she's got a unique ability to change her speed, switching gear from 0 to FAST in a split second. In the worst-case scenario, you could even put her on the receiving line to help, that's another skill of hers... I worry about her height and blocking presence though, against bigger foreign teams.

Now that this V-League is over, let's continue the serious stuff here:

Korean NT 2021

Lavarini's got a lot of work waiting ahead...

• 2021 KOVO Official FA List

FA Start today and the deadline ends at 18:00 KST on April 15 (Thu).

TeamPlayerPosition20/21 SalaryGroup
    GS CaltexLEE So-YoungOH350M KRWA
    KANG So-HwiOH350M KRWA
    HAN Soo-JiMB300M KRWA
    KIM Yu-RiMB160M KRWA
    HAN Da-HyeLi100M KRWA
    HeungkukKIM Mi-YounOH180M KRWA
    KIM Se-YoungMB120M KRWA
    PARK Sang-MiLi100M KRWA
    IBK AltosHAN Ji-HyunLi80M KRWB
    ExpresswayHA Hye-JinMB100M KRWA
    KGC GinsengCHOI Eun-JiOH150M KRWA
    NOH RanLi100M KRWA

※ Player's salary shown in table is the total of base salary and options.

• Group A player annual salary - 700M KRW ~ 100M KRW.
    • Group B player annual salary - Below 100M KRW ~ 50M KRW.
    • Group C player annual salary - Below 50M KRW.

• Compensation for recruiting Group A players is 200% of player's previous annual salary + 1 reward player; or 300% of player's previous annual salary if no reward player is selected.
    • Compensation for recruiting Group B players is 300% of player's previous annual salary.
    • Compensation for recruiting Group C players is 150 % of player's previous annual salary.

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4

• So, Kixx suddenly has a lot of free salary cap.... I think they will only trying to keep Kang SH or Lee SY, or both... Kang SH must have a raise, so maybe around 400-500M... Lee SY is prone to injury, so that salary already at max, probably.. Maybe the libero will so try to keep... Between Han Sj and Kim YR, I think only one will be try to keep., or not at all...

Kim Se Young I think will be retired, if no club interested ... Or she will lower her salary, relegate her to group B....

Kim MY had very bad games on the final, I hope it's not lower her value....

• if they want her to stay, they should build a better team. No more pushing KYK to carry the burden on her own. If Bruna can improve, she can stay. KYK can still get the call from top teams all over the world if she wants to. VLeague better treat her right.

She better leave Vleague. Too much heartbreak for her this season.I think she will play oversea again. Maybe China, teams there always offer her every year. But until now no rumours regarding her transfer yet. Im anxious waiting for it

• She better leave Vleague. Too much heartbreak for her this season.I think she will play oversea again. Maybe China, teams there always offer her every year. But until now no rumours regarding her transfer yet. Im anxious waiting for it

after all the sacrifices she made to play there... I wish her all the best. This might be the last time we see her playing for Korea NT.

• after all the sacrifices she made to play there... I wish her all the best. This might be the last time we see her playing for Korea NT.

Yeah. Tokyo olympic will be the last action for her in NT. I hope she continue to play at club level outside her country. Less publicity, less burden.

Btw, how does the FA thing works? And system of trading players? It's confusing for me

• Yeah. Tokyo olympic will be the last action for her in NT. I hope she continue to play at club level outside her country. Less publicity, less burden.

Btw, how does the FA thing works? And system of trading players? It's confusing for me

this might help

• Apparently GS Caltex Merete LUTZ will not be back in South Korea next season. The Spike confirmed that Lutz will not be returning to South Korea next season as she will not be re-applying for the foreign players' tryout. Source: 1

There is also some development with regards to the Lee Twins as reported by Channel A yesterday. The twins will be taking legal action because they claimed there were some inaccuracies about the things that they were reported to have done. Sources: 1, 2, 3

Nothing concrete so far but here are some news with regards to the 7th women's volleyball team.

From the meeting between Pepper Savings Bank (PSB), KOVO and the other 6 teams at the end of March, some of the things that was discuss were the recruitment of players, membership fee and special development funds that needs to be paid when the team is established, and where this new team will be located.

So from I can understand, PSB will be get to select 8 high school players. Unlike IBK who was only able to select the players from 3 specified high schools (Namsung G.H.S., Jungang G.H.S., and Sunmyung G.H.S.), PSB will be able to select them from any high school across the country. The part about recruiting from existing players from the other 6 teams is a bit hard for me to understand correctly so I am going to skip it and let someone who is more fluent in Korean to comment about it.

With regards to the membership fee and special fund, PSB will be look around to paid at the very least 1B KRW when they join. This is because when IBK was established 10 years ago, IBK paid about 1B KRW (200M KRW for the membership and 800M for the special development fund). So considering this was 10 years ago, PSB will be looking to paid this amount at least or possibly more.

PSB preference for where the team to be located was Seongnam City in Gyeonggi Province (near Seoul like Hyundai and IBK), However KOVO and the other teams have recommended for PSB to be based in other regional area to expand and promote the game across the country.

Gwangju City and the city volleyball association also visit KOVO HQ on the 5th and submitted a letter stating their desire to be the home city for the 7th women's volleyball team. The pros for Gwangju city is that PSB has a branch in the Gwangju and the city has the necessary facilities already prepared as they had previously tried but failed to lure men's volleyball team KEPCO to their city. The city has Yeomju Gymnasium which was recently convert to a volleyball-only stadium and Bitgoeul Gymnasium located nearby can be used as an auxiliary stadium.

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

• Apparently GS Caltex Merete LUTZ will not be back in South Korea next season. The Spike confirmed that Lutz will not be returning to South Korea next season as she will not be re-applying for the foreign players' tryout. Source: 1

Yup its on their instagram as well, they are thanking her for all she has done.

Inevitably change is the only constant; and the fact that they got a treble would mean its nearly impossible to beat and its great that Lutz left on a high.

My heart is filled w trepidation at the final team after all the FA dust settles, with my heart knowing that it will never be the same again...

• can't wait for the new team, hope can see it next season. lol

is there any movement in FA?

• If Lutz doesn't get better offer, I think she would think to go to try out again... though it will not be Kixx who will choose first...

Anyway, is the end of season awards still on?

"New" faces will be on the Best 7 :

Yang Hyo Jin will be "kicked out" of her 10 yrs throne.... Can't get her 11th...Best MBs I guess will be Bae YooNa and Kim YuRi...

LJY also out of her reign.. Best OH should be KYK n Lee SY or Kang SH...

LDY obviously can't get her 3rd either... Best Setter should be ahn Hye Jin...

Best OP is between Diouf or Lutz... Well, should be Lutz..

Best libero.. I don't really pay attention of most liberos... Should be Kixx libero Han Da Hye...

• Best libero.. I don't really pay attention of most liberos... Should be Kixx libero Han Da Hye...

if the reward not for final team only, then i think hyundai or hi-pass libero better than Kixx. (just my opinion)

• Based on the instagram on the GS Caltex website as well as her own personal instagram message, I'm sure she is not coming back - it was quite definite. Better offer or not. But I'm sure there is still a 1% chance and it will be interesting to see who will choose her. Personally I think the coaches all have a pre meeting prior and decide who they are going to choose based on the "style" and "fit" of each team.

I also think Hyundai or Hi-Pass Liberos are > GS Caltex liberos based on "eye" test.

There was a tv show on SBS and they talked about top 7 I believe - go to 13:24 if interested.

• About the twins......

I wonder if that a wise decision to sue your victim, why bother issued an apology at the first place.

I believe the public response is just gonna be more angry.

as a fan of the girls, the issue cannot be overlook, but no decision was made over night, both the victims and the twins.

because they didn't say anything after apologizing, the public criticize them, and because they are saying something now, the public criticize them. there's no winning at all.

• About recruitment from the rest of 6 club.

Pepper Savings Bank can pick up 8 players first in the rookie draft. In addition, a total of six existing players can be selected, one at a time from six clubs. Each team shall appoint 9 protected players, and one player who is not bound as a protected player must be sent to the Pepper Savings Bank.

i think many player will appreciate the chance of being a starter.

who do you guys think current bench player that deserved a reguler playing time?

• I don't know whether PSB has high budget....For starter, they can try to grab those FA players, like: Ha Hye Jin, Choi Eun Ji, Noh Ran, and Kim se Young... Already got OH, OP, Li, and MB....

Heck, maybe they can get Kim MiYoun as well....plus Park sang Mi or Han Da Hye, if they are lucky.....

For setter they better raise themselves from rookies...