South Korea - Women's V-League 2020-2021

• Cant remember it all but just on the top of mind:

OH:

Lee Hyeon Ji (mokpo HS, 181cm) good strength and serve defense is decent too, but sometimes get frustated and just slam the ball unto the net or block.

Kim Se In (Sunmyung hs, 173 cm) ace of the team, good leap, receive is good, but the height is certainly lacking

Kim Ga young (hanbom hs, 173cm) the anchor of defense, defensive left type of player, attacking is just okay.

park eun soo (ilshin hs, 178cm) i think she is the most pro ready. Strong serve attack defence she does it all.

jeong Yun Ju (daegu hs, 176cm) best attacker, jump is high, but usually by the second set the stamina depleted thats why daegu never win if they are trailing 😅

Setter:

park sa rang (daegu Hs, 178 cm) best setter this year

Kang Bo Min (hanbom, 177cm) doesn’t stand out much but does the job well, can get into a slump sometimes, the coach often subtitute her at last tournament. But she played better at This tournament.

one more cheonan cheongsu setter i didnt know her name, but she got injured at the earlier tournament, she carry the whole team.

Libero:

Park Hye Hyeon (jungang) need to work on the receive, hustle is good though

MB:

Lee Ji Soo (hanbom, 185cm) this tournament outshine by her junior but still a decent pick, though rarely use, her slide attack is good. Need to work on the serve so many error.

Lee Ye Dam (jungang, 187cm) blocking is good, the attack lack of strength.

seo chae won (daegu, 181cm)

i will update if i remember more lol.

• Awesome thanks Kofudakji ! Am mostly interested in the setters since good setters in general are hard to come by

I watched the finals but no player really stood out to me, realized I can't tell the players by their names since I can only see their numbers in the video (names were too small to read) 😅

Feel like I also need to lower my expectations when watching too😳, players who are able to go straight from high school to starting lineup/NT aren't that common after all (2014/18/19 season rookies were so good lol)

edit: I should probably go find match videos of joongang and sunmyeong girls school (& others, from other tournaments) since they're where all the good players usually come from.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Read that Pink Spiders has yet to re-sign 4 of their players for the next season. They have till June 30th before they become free agents.

My guess are:

1. Hyeon Moolin (rookie left)

2. Park Eun Seo (rookie setter)

3. Nam Eun Bin (rookie libero)

4. Do Subin or Kim Nahee

PS signed Kim Haeran & Park Sang Mi, so I'm guessing Do Soobin might be let go/traded to another club
    (or Nahee, but she has been with PS since 2007, so there's some sentimental/legacy value in keeping her as a veteran)

Wonder if PS will get a new setter or left while twins are still suspended.

Does anyone know if clubs are able to sign new players after June 30th & what is the deadline for that? From players not registered by their clubs & have become free agents.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lastly, 2021 KOVO Cup will be held after Tokyo Olympics from August 23 - 29th 2021.

• Pretty sure they will resign kim nahee, they got no player on MB.

Setter position is fine, outside hitter is troublesome if LJY doesnt play, heck even if she is playing there is just no backup, they probably need to sign from amateur team.

For Highschool match, definitely lower the expectations 😆.

Jungang pretty weak this year, I wouldn’t bother except you wanna check Lee YeDam play.

any rookie will make make contributions on pepper and pink spider team lol.

for deadline signing if im not mistaken, its the end of third round, after that you cannot sign anymore.

• Well JY has always played full time for PS, so it'll be more of a back-up for Kim Miyeon

But since JY won't be returning anytime foreseeable, they better get a main Left to play alongside Miyeon (+ back-up can be Park Hyunju, don't think she's starting lineup standard)

PS should make a trade/ sign a freed player - maybe one of the countless Lefts from KGC, whom I'm sure needs to decrease their salary payout after getting Soyoung for a whopping 6.5 (she's good, but 6.5 is a bit much imo)

I'm not sure about Dasol setter being "fine", unless they're "fine" with tanking:gone: she's stable, but can't bring a team to Top 4.
    But I see a lot of potential in Park Hyejin - except Pink Spiders is horrible at nurturing setters.

Since Nahee is paid more than Do Subin, its more worth letting her go for salary cap space, logical but kinda sad since she's been with the franchise her entire 10+ year career - but I also don't see the need for 3 liberos on any team honestly, unless the club is raising a rookie.
    (I would trade Subin or Sangmi to Pepper for a draft pick if possible haha)

for deadline signing if im not mistaken, its the end of third round, after that you cannot sign anymore.

and yes, thanks a lot for this!

• im really looking forward to the start of kovo cup and new season. (makes the cost of my vpn worthwhile :gone:)

KGC and Hillstate will be the ones i'll be looking out for considering they've got some notable players (and that some trained with Lavarini).

KGC has a lot of OHs (will any trade happen?) and i wonder if they'll play Lee Seon Woo or Park Hye Min more (PHM imo is pretty good), and there seems to be a fair bit of rara over Jung Hoyoung in this thread, havent seen her play, so will keep my eyes peeled on her too :whistle:

Oh Hillstate.... Kim Dain just went up on my list of fave setters after her VNL stint. and i do hope Jung Jiyun will continue to play as OP - they really do need to train up more OPs. Likely we'll see Lavarini-style plays from this club.

(very random post, im just bored being stuck at home :cheesy:)

• I'm actually looking forward to see how Lee Hanbi, Ji Minkyung, and Ha Hyejin will perform given the chance to play as starters on Pepper Bank, and if they can still improve further.

Re-watched the high school match between Sunmyeong & Wongok from 2014 recently, and they honestly played so well. Hanbi & Hyejin were 3rd years, and Minkyung was a 1st year then.
    (that match included Hanbi, Minkyung, Hyejin, Sohwi, Dayeong, and quite a few more other players who entered v-league too)

I honestly feel all 3 of them were better than the 20-21 best rookie lol (Ji Minkyung won best rookie herself in 16-17 too)

Such a pity they remained as back-up players for so long, and were on teams where they couldn't play that many minutes either.

Pepper isn't as hopeless as people think with these 3 + Elizabet Varga, as long as they can step up to the role of being a starting player (but their setter & libero is the main issue)
    Though... it'll be so sad if Ha Hyejin has to play back-up to Elizabet Varga even on this new team. Perhaps she should switch to Left or Center instead to play more minutes.

As for teams, I'll be watching Hillstate.
    They still have the same solid team that almost won 2019 season - as long as Dain manages to step up as a setter after this NT stint. And if Hyojin & Minkyeong comes out of their 20-21 season slump.

GS's fairly-super team of Soyoung+Sohwi+Hyejin+203cm tall Lutz has been broken up, so I'm not expecting too much.

Soyoung moved to KGC, but KGC's setter is Yeom so...:gone:

Not the biggest fan of IBK (Pyo), Hipass (Jeongah) lol, and PS just a sinking ship

• 20-21 rookie got no chance to play they have to select from a very small sample.

i think ha hyejin will play left, with lee hanbi, attacking power is not bad, just need to solve the defense.

Also there a lot of news on the twins after the mbc interview with the victims, but i feel lazy giving such news, but i found news on lee dayoung visiting her almamater to teach her junior 😱 i dont know if that is true, but its on chosun ilbo. Given the situation (school violence) its pretty ironic to show up to your almamater.

i think what make public angry is the retracted apology and sue the victim instead.

The male player with the same case ask for an apology and the victim accepted, right now after sign FA contract he went to military, will return to court in 18 months.

• yep, Pepper has attack but defence will be the main problem - and setting too (as with most pro teams - or like Korea NT now lol)

I read about that too, didn't think anyone here would be interested in it though so I didn't bring it up haha

It's true she went there to train and also helped w juniors training too, the high school coach (ex-PS coach in 2016) posted a picture of her at the school, and someone said she signed autographs for the students on dcgall, and today the school confirmed it

I thought this was a good sign if her alma mater supported her visiting, perhaps the court case was progressing well (and that she was a good student in high school - btw accusations were from middle school, she visited her high school)

But yeah the very next day mbc news aired the interview with the victims

Agree that if twins were really at fault, they should've just apologized and stayed away for 1-2 seasons. They'll likely never be able to return to Korea volleyball again if everything is proven to be true after they chose to sue.

Because of how the male volleyball players victims showed up immediately, versus the twins victims who didn't want to reveal themselves (until they got sued), for a period I did wonder if what the twins said about "most accusations are false" was true. But now the victims have appeared personally and even gave an interview about it.

Right now I've given up on which side to believe haha, its not up to the fans/public to decide anyway, its up to the police to investigate and we'll find out eventually.

But whichever side that's not telling the truth, it will backfire big time. I hope at least the result we get will be conclusive (with concrete evidence) rather than non-conclusive.

• I wonder what the twins' side is trying to achieve by arguing that the accusations were false. Tbh I've never seen anyone, even the more hardcore twins' fans, trying to argue that the twins didn't do it. The debate is always on whether the punishments from Heungkuk and KVA are "enough" and whether the twins can get back to volleyball by now.

After all, the twins did post their handwritten apologies and accept the punishments from Heungkuk and the KVA. These are the reasons that still make me think that the victims told the truth.

I mean just look at their loss from this whole scandal. They are the two most talented volleyball players of the new generation in Korea. They had a career that brought them a lot of fame and money. They played a big part in getting Korea to the Olympics and were set in stone in the OG squad. Their club was on the way to win (at least) the regular season title. I cannot imagine that anyone would give up all of that over some untrue allegations.

(Whether these allegations can be proven or not is a whole different story because the issue was from 10 years ago.)

This is 100% my theory but I think because the KVA is citing the rule that they cannot issue ITC for players who cause harm (I didn't know that there is actually written rules until I read this article), if the police come out with an official statement that the accusations cannot be proven to be true, the twins and their agency can make a case to the KVA, and potentially the FIVB, that there's no longer reason for refusing to issue an ITC for Dayeong, and maybe Jaeyeong in the future as well.

Playing abroad (and stay away from all social media) is probably the best route for them at this point.

Anyways, tomorrow is June 30th, there will likely be a new episode in this long drama. :roll:

• Your theory isn't wrong, KVA said before themselves that they will change their stance on NT suspension/ITC if the legal results proves otherwise.

If the twins can prove that the claims made against them are false, they will be able to return to the domestic league much easier/sooner. Their domestic return is actually entirely up to Pink Spiders since KOVO had no previous regulations on past bullying (during amateur days).

Another reason is that the specific claims made by the victim in the post/interview were very damaging to them (i.e. knife), and makes their bullying case more severe if true. Affects the duration of their suspension too.

I view the twins' case as one similar to Park Sangha's. Someone accused Park Sangha of locking them in a room for 14hrs and abusing them, but after taking legal action the victim admitted they just made use of his name & they never crossed paths in school - but Park Sangha still apologized initially because he admitted to abusing his seniority when in school. I'm sure the result of his investigation/lawsuit definitely helped with his return, since that allegation is horrid if it were true.

As for the twins apology and why they did that, there was an old article where the twins said they only posted apology letter because the accuser requested for it. They wanted to take legal action due to most claims being false but posted the apology letter instead bc it was in the middle of the season & they didn't want to affect team further. They said the victim requested an apology letter and for them to apologize in person to settle the issue, which the twins planned to do, but the victim refused to meet them afterwards and made further claims against them online.

Anyway regardless, I think Dayeong will & should be able to appeal to play overseas. There is a KVA rule, but I don't think that should allow for a permanent ban on playing altogether, including overseas - though National Team ban is justifiable since its representing the country. I feel at the very least there should be a set deadline on the ban of ITC issuance (i.e. 1-2 years) rather than indefinite.

• Thanks @suminj for the info!

If the accusations aren't true then the apology letter was a very bad move. Now they'll have a hard time convincing people that they really didn't do it.

________

As predicted, more drama: Heungkuk decided not to register the twins as players for the new season. 1, 2.

• Twins are now free agents and able to sign with any other club up till 3rd round of the 21-22 season, without any conditions or compensation to PS
    (edit: lol I found out that PS has to instead compensate the twins their salary for the remaining 2 years of the contract since they terminated it early, its one of the reasons why people thought they will definitely register the twins. I'm not looking forward to this becoming a legal battle though... there's no way PS will want to pay the full amount or at all, hope they can settle it outside separately)

1. Will any domestic club contact twins? Probably not immediately, but they might keep an eye out for their investigation results lol

2. DY's move to Greece remains the same, will still require an appeal to FIVB for ITC - possible since incident was 10 years ago & its not a crime/illegal act

3. Will JY perhaps start looking overseas too? PAOK is still missing 1 OH & mentioned considering JY too

Another interesting point is, what will Pink Spiders do with their freed salary cap now?

Kim - 350k

JY - 400k (200k option)

DY - 300k (100k option)

Hanbi - 40k (10k option)

They have >1million free now, but it's well past the FA period with no more attractive players left in the free market :cheesy:

It was no joke when they said the introduction of a 7th club will lead to a dilution in strength of the league (+ 3 most popular/talented players are out of v-league now too)

• June 30th Registrations have ended

Top paid players:

1. Yang Hyojin, 700k (450k+250k)

2. Lee Soyoung, 650k (450k+200k)

3. Park Jeongah, 580k (430k+150k)

4. Kang Sohwi, 500k (350k+150k)

5. Kim Heejin, 350k (300k+50k)

GS Caltex - 16 players

Pink Spiders - 14 players

IBK - 14 players

Hipass - 13 players

KGC - 15 players

Hillstate - 15 players

Pepper - 7 players

Players who didn't manage to re-contract:

GS - Kim Chaewon
    PS - Nam Eunbin

IBK - Shim Mi Ok

Hipass - Jeong Hyojin

KGC - Lee Sol Ah

Hillstate - Yang Siyeon, Park Jiwoo

Kim Haeran returned to PS, and Ha Yujeong returned to Hipass (after 6 years, wow!)
    I also know PS signed Choi Yoon-yi (Left/ 1999/ IBK in 2018-19)

Can't believe Heejin who's so dominant as a Right on NT, is taken for granted as a lesser paid center in IBK... such a waste of her talents

• Heungkuk should hold on to that salary cap and try to convince KYK to return once again next season. They now have the ability to pay her top salary in the league. :cheesy:

In general, letting established players go abroad will make the strength of the domestic league go down but IMO it's not bad for Korean volleyball overall because more players will have a chance to play, and Korea doesn't have a second division league. Haven't we been complaining that there's no good backup players for the national team? :lol:

Just a year ago, who would have thought that Jeong Jiyun will go to the Olympics as an OP? And if Dayeong hadn't decided to leave Hillstate, would Kim Dain be a part of the NT now? They had their chance at the club and they delivered. I hope the remaining Heungkuk players will try their best to do the same, now that there's no KYK and LJY to carry the team.

• Oh man, news flash
    SBS news shared a phonecall with Jaeyeong and she defended themselves.

Saying they wanted to refute the allegations from the beginning but Pink Spiders told them not to make noise cause of the company's image, and threatened to terminate their contracts if not so they had no choice.

Guess she's speaking up now since the club didn't re-contract with them as promised.

• Can't believe Heejin who's so dominant as a Right on NT, is taken for granted as a lesser paid center in IBK... such a waste of her talents

They probably base it on her poor performance last season, it was her worst ever.

But couldn't agree more with ya. I hope IBK will place her as a OP this season. Be smart and use the right people at the right positions. :wall:

And some of those in that top earners list, imo, i dont think they are worth those sums. :whistle:

• They probably base it on her poor performance last season, it was her worst ever.

But couldn't agree more with ya. I hope IBK will place her as a OP this season. Be smart and use the right people at the right positions. :wall:

And some of those in that top earners list, imo, i dont think they are worth those sums. :whistle:

I don't blame Heejin though? They made her play center, and she was recovering from an injury for more than half the season too.

Had to play before fully recovered hence her recurring injury & surgery.

Hyojin had one of her worst seasons too but she still kept max salary (I'm not against it, but her performance didn't show it)

But salary has a bunch of factors outside of performance like popularity, franchise star, FA timing, salary cap and more too