CEV Champions League 2021

• Time to start this new season thread. WorldOfVolley reported by several European league leaks the following (corrected by a comment) pots for the draw happening in August 2020, final decision of participating teams also in qualification is expected on 31. July or 1. August 2020:

Pot 1: VakıfBank (TUR), Dinamo-Kazan (RUS), Eczacibasi VitrA (TUR), Unet E-Work Busto Arsizio (ITA), Imoco Volley Conegliano (ITA).

Pot 2: Grupa Azoty Chemik Police (POL), Lokomotiv Kaliningrad (RUS), DevelopRes SkyRes Rzeszów (POL), Nantes (FRA), Mulhouse (FRA).

Pot 3: CS Volei Alba-Blaj (ROU), Pölkky Kuusamo LP Viesti Salo (FIN), VK Šelmy Brno Olomouc (CZE), Maritza Plovdiv (BUL), SSC Palmberg Schwerin (GER).

Pot 4: Fenerbahçe Opet (TUR), Igor Gorgonzola Novara (ITA), Uralochka-NTMK (RUS), qualifier 1, qualifier 2.

• The only teams I know so far in qualification for sure are Stuttgart (GER) and LKS Commercecon Lodz (POL). At least these qualification rounds will be drawn early in August (maybe second half). It will be interesting, if Moscow and Galatasaray will also be allowed to attend here by CEV...

• The only teams I know so far in qualification for sure are Stuttgart (GER) and LKS Commercecon Lodz (POL). At least these qualification rounds will be drawn early in August (maybe second half). It will be interesting, if Moscow and Galatasaray will also be allowed to attend here by CEV...

Scandici can apply for cev champions league either, right?

• If Moscow and Galatasaray can, so will Scandicci.

Yes, Scandicci will play the Qualifiers. I don't think Galatasaray can, if I'm not wrong one of the CEV requirements for the extra spot was for the team to have taken part at 2 out of the last 3 Champions League editions, but Galatasaray only partecipated in one.

• So happy for Scandicci, they really deserve it !!!

• ek11.jpgAll Serbian clubs which is qualified for CEV competition will play in the same. Serbia will have in total 7 clubs in European cups (both men and women include)

Also this article says that the draws for the competition will held on 21. august.

Serbian representnative in qualification for Womens CEV Champions league 2021 will be last year superleague champion OK TENT Obrenovac .

• I personally do not find it logical to have a long format of Champions League as it requires traveling. I just wish they would have decided on a shorter format, maybe like tournament that takes a few weeks around Christmas or even maybe in March or April 2021. I would accept if they cancel it for the next season. I just cannot understand how they can put all those players and staffs lives in danger so easily.

According to Voleybol Plus, if a team cannot travel or host due to a ban, that team will be eliminated without a fine. The format will be changed to tournament and they will move forward with group standings at the time.

What if there will be teams that keeps secret of a player? What if a player decides to ignore his or her fever?

https://www.voleybolplus.com/c…nacak-onlemleri-acikladi/

• DOL_CLV2021-teams-Women.jpg

In the women’s competition, since National Federations have taken 17 of the 18 slots available for teams seeded directly to the 4th Round, three (and not two) will progress from the early rounds to the pool stage, thus accounting for the required 20 clubs needed for the group phase

https://www.cev.eu/News.aspx?NewsID=30948&ID=5

• I liked more the old format with 12 teams progressing .. than 6 and final four.

• So it's Alba Blaj, which didn't claim its pool berth and caused the extra berth for qualification. Which is lucky especially for Stuttgart resp. Lodz, which can fight (if the setting is done as usual) against each other for the third spot instead of either Moscow or Scandicci.

• Strange enough, while the men's competition has tournaments with the qualification teams, this women's competition sticks to the home- and away-matches per round competition mode. While I'm not sure yet, what will be better... (if it can be executed at all)

• Finally, I have sorted out the pots for the pool draw, and IMHO it could be, that there comes a pool with these (or similar strong) competitors, it would be like the maximum pool of death:

VakifBank, Eczacibasi or Conegliano as pool head

from pot 2 Kaliningrad

from pot 3 Fenerbahce

from pot 4 either Novara, Scandicci, Moscow or Ekaterinburg

If unchanged in first three drawn but having a qualifier like Stuttgart or Lodz instead as fourth, for both it would be a tremendous underdog situation without any chance to qualify for the quarters of course...

• CEV Cup participants has been announced by CEV

https://www.cev.eu/Competition…ion.aspx?ID=1263&PID=2016

Monza seems clear favorite to me! Hope Dresdner won't meet Monza until the final, because they build a strong team and seems the only team who can challenge Monza. Other outsiders for me would be Legionovia Legionowo or Tragoviste, who both built a competitive team.

Will the teams who drop out of the preliminary round in the CL also play the CEV Cup? Otherwise probably one of LKS Lodz or Stuttgart will be another contender for a spot in the final.

• 1st round

1. Hapoel Kfar Saba - LKS Lodz
    2. Mladost Zagreb - Calcit Volley Kamnik
    3. Savino Del Bene Scandicci - Tent Obrenovac
    4. Stuttgart - Minchanka Minsk
    5. Vasas Budapest - Dynamo Moscow
    6. Prometey Kamyanske - Khimik Yuzhny
  • What about the next round? Who will play against each other?