2020 CEV Youth Championship

• Turkey got the first set. So far noone is helping Arina. Turkish defense is improved from yesterday

• Turkey got the first set. So far noone is helping Arina. Turkish defense is improved from yesterday

Well this set Suvarova helped at scoring and Arina had a good serving strike. Russian team is playing with MB A LOT! On the other hand, we can't use Dalia as much as previous matches since reception from outside hitters are pretty bad so far. Özlem Şahin is not contributing at attack and she is not a good receiver neither that's why I think we should start with Aleyna Göçmen instead of her.

• There's a huge difference between two liberos. She might be by far the weakest link in this team

• ouch what a way to lose a match ;(

Dalia really needs to work on her nerves but overall a good fight at least that last set.

Russia was clearly better in my opinion though today, they have a really great gen here. Fedorovtseva MVP obviously :drink:

• It was a terrible idea to change setter in match point:hit:

• Costly errors and miscommunication towards the end of the set for Turkey. They played well fighting for that first set and pushing Russia in the fourth. Both teams should be proud of themselves. :flower:

Congrats Russia, Fedorovtseva, Kobzar, and Suvorova should make a big impact next cycle. Hope they get good development and not disappear like some of Russia's former youth players.

• she should be MVP, her dad is olympic champion, let's hope she will get such medals in OGs and WCH:)

He is? I didn't know that, what year?

Good family genetics with this Russian squad, Kobzar siblings and father daughter Fedorovtseva's. Who else has family ties?

• Fedorovtseva MVP

What a great volleyball player! :rose:

• He is? I didn't know that, what year?

Good family genetics with this Russian squad, Kobzar siblings and father daughter Fedorovtseva's. Who else has family ties?

Her father plays rowing and he won the gold medal in 2004 Athens.

• He is? I didn't know that, what year?

Ilchenko

• I just noticed Dilay Ozdemir, second setter, is Baris Ozdemir’s daughter. He was a Turkish volleyball player, now trainer in junior team of Vakifbank. Not an Olympic winner but was good back in the days for Turkish league.

• well deserved award from italian libero

I saw her today at qst set

Wow

• The ranking of U16 championship for this generation was as following:

1 Teams_WebLogo_110_32_2.aspx?ID=11071TURKEY -1
    2 Teams_WebLogo_110_32_2.aspx?ID=11054ITALY -2
    3 Teams_WebLogo_110_32_2.aspx?ID=11074RUSSIA +2
    4 Teams_WebLogo_110_32_2.aspx?ID=11062SLOVENIA -3
    5 Teams_WebLogo_110_32_2.aspx?ID=11061THE NETHERLANDS did not attend
    6 Teams_WebLogo_110_32_2.aspx?ID=11064SERBIA +3
    7 Teams_WebLogo_110_32_2.aspx?ID=11048GERMANY did not attend
    8 Teams_WebLogo_110_32_2.aspx?ID=11052FRANCE did not attend

Based on this ranking, from top4, Serbia drastically improved whereas Slovenia's level dropped.

The dream team of that tournament was this (with too many slovenian players):

Outside Hitter: Arina Fedorovtseva (RUS)

Outside Hitter: Naja Salamun (SLO)

Middle Blocker: Natalia Suvorova (RUS)

Middle Blocker: Neja Cizman (SLO)

Setter: Özge Arslanalp (TUR)

Opposite: Taja Gradisnik Klanjscek (SLO)

Libero: Benedetta Salviato (ITA)

MVP: Özge Arslanalp (TUR)

Fair Play: Greta Catania (ITA)

This is the current dream team:

Outside hitters: Arina Fedorovtseva (Russia) and Melisa Ege Bükmen (Turkey)

Opposite hitter: Pelin Eroktay (Turkey)

Middle blockers: Natalia Suvorova (Russia) and Hena Kurtagic (Serbia)

Setter: Özge Arslanalp (Turkey)

Libero: Emma Barbero (Italy)

MVP: Arina Fedorovtseva (Russia)

This Turkish generation looks to be very successful but I am not sure if we will have anyone from these girls to senior NT except Dalia and maybe Melisa. Setter Özge has a great technique for her age and she is very creative as well. However, her length will be a problem during her transition to high level of volleyball. On the other hand, I don't see anything special in Pelin Eroktay, she is just tall. She has a very slow arm swing, making it easy to block. She seems to better than her pairs thanks to her height but I don't think she will even reach to the level of Polen. I am really surprised why Beren Yeşilırmak didn't play instead of her. To me Beren is definitely better player although she is one year younger than Pelin. For outsides, Özlem Şahin is mediocre, she doesn't have a good reception but she is not a great attacker neither. I think Aleyna Göçmen is the talented one but again another disputable decision from the coach. Melisa Bükmen, improved a lot in a year (she was the bench player last year) but she become the leader of this team. She is very explosive, reminding me Hande Baladin. If she can improve her reception, she is the one who has the biggest chance to make it senior NT. Our MBs are promising indeed. Dalia is already pretty strong with her slide attacks and nice block anticipation. Deniz Zengin has good block, but needs to improve her attack approach. It is hard to comment on the libero, she is definitely the weakest link in this team. I hope they can find a better libero for U19 championship.

• Just watched Italy x Russia semifinal and 2 sets of Turkey x Russia finals. I think this is the first to see a Russian team celebrating a point with too many high-pitched screams. Rather strange and funny. :lol: