Politics and social issues

• And what if Ukraine calls their bluff, cedes Donetsk, Luhansk, and Crimea, leaving them with no active territorial disputes giving them a green light to join NATO? If Putin really wanted to prevent Ukraine from joining NATO he should've left Donetsk and Luhansk as disputed territories.

It's not ''If'' Putin wanted to prevent Ukraine from joining NATO. Putin has said this many times loud and clear himself, as well as yesterday during his speech, he does not want what he considers the Russian sphere to be involved with NATO or the EU. And for NATO to border ''Russian'' territory, which he claims is a threat to their nation.

• It's not ''If'' Putin wanted to prevent Ukraine from joining NATO. Putin has said this many times loud and clear himself, as well as yesterday during his speech, he does not want what he considers the Russian sphere to be involved with NATO or the EU. And for NATO to border ''Russian'' territory, which he claims is a threat to their nation.

And it is clear that Ukraine will not dare to attack Russia to cede those invaded parts back unfortunately. For Ukraine, it is more of a sane option to accept it as it is and move on to join NATO/EU. Putin will not be there forever and with all these sanctions, Russia might be forced to deal with internal issues in the country which will give opportunity for Ukraine in future to reclaim those lands in a peaceful way where people can vote and decide their future since they are considered independent states anyway.

• He is recognizing them as independent republics to be able to invade them without technically invading them from his point of view :D Russian bases are already making their ways to Donetsk and Luhansk. It's Crimea all over again. And Russian imperialism doesn't end, during the conflicts in Kazakhstan where the people rose up against the governments some politicians in Russia called for ''historic Russian lands'' in Kazakhstan to join the Russian federation again. Right now Russian media controles large part of the country. Russia was very much active in Belarus' rigged elections as well.

• He is recognizing them as independent republics to be able to invade them without technically invading them from his point of view :D Russian bases are already making their ways to Donetsk and Luhansk. It's Crimea all over again. And Russian imperialism doesn't end, during the conflicts in Kazakhstan where the people rose up against the governments some politicians in Russia called for ''historic Russian lands'' in Kazakhstan to join the Russian federation again. Right now Russian media controles large part of the country. Russia was very much active in Belarus' rigged elections as well.

He did the same with parts of Georgia though I think they still are independent states like Osetia and Abkhazi if I am not wrong. Well in general it is easier to fight against an external enemy, but with all these developments, Putin is making the situation worse for people in Russia who are already having bad life standards. If things get worse, he might not have time to think about external enemies anymore, only focusing on people riotting in Russia everywhere.

• And it is clear that Ukraine will not dare to attack Russia to cede those invaded parts back unfortunately. For Ukraine, it is more of a sane option to accept it as it is and move on to join NATO/EU. Putin will not be there forever and with all these sanctions, Russia might be forced to deal with internal issues in the country which will give opportunity for Ukraine in future to reclaim those lands in a peaceful way where people can vote and decide their future since they are considered independent states anyway.

Yea totally, I just feel sad for Ukrainian friends I have in Luhanks and Donetsk at this point ?( Many are prepared to flee and become refugees in their own country or pretend to not be bothered about the situations for now. I hope no big conflicts will arise, it genuinely might catapult into a great worldwide issue in that case.

I can totally see Russia falling apart with their current pace.

• He did the same with parts of Georgia though I think they still are independent states like Osetia and Abkhazi if I am not wrong. Well in general it is easier to fight against an external enemy, but with all these developments, Putin is making the situation worse for people in Russia who are already having bad life standards. If things get worse, he might not have time to think about external enemies anymore, only focusing on people riotting in Russia everywhere.

#FreeSakhaRepublic

:lol:

• Well I am just hoping that Russian citizens will live in better life standards, having better economy where money is distributed among people, not just among oligarchs and where they can vote for people who should lead them better. It will be great to have Russia as a friendly and modern member of the world which every Russian citizen deserves.

• NATO offers safety.

Russia isnt going to attack any of the NATO members because they dont want to invoke Article 5.

My point is there's a reason for NATO to exist during the Cold War. When the Warsaw Pact dissolved, why is there a necessity for this organization to continue to exist? I mean, I understand Meatball's point about the Ukrainian government desiring to join the EU, how it could be very beneficial to the Ukrainian people and all of that. That's unquestionable. But NATO only exists cause it's already counting of agressing Russia if that's necessary. That's before Crimea, before everything. If you say Ukraine needs NATO cause Russia might always threaten them in case they join the EU, that's a chicken or the egg scenario. What comes first: Ukraine fearing Russia or Russia fearing NATO? I'm not saying anything Putin is doing is OK. But NATO is not the good guy. There ain't no good guys in this scenario.

• My point is there's a reason for NATO to exist during the Cold War. When the Warsaw Pact dissolved, why is there a necessity for this organization to continue to exist? I mean, I understand Meatball's point about the Ukrainian government desiring to join the EU, how it could be very beneficial to the Ukrainian people and all of that. That's unquestionable. But NATO only exists cause it's already counting of agressing Russia if that's necessary. That's before Crimea, before everything. If you say Ukraine needs NATO cause Russia might always threaten them in case they join the EU, that's a chicken or the egg scenario. What comes first: Ukraine fearing Russia or Russia fearing NATO? I'm not saying anything Putin is doing is OK. But NATO is not the good guy. There ain't no good guys in this scenario.

NATO doesn't exist anymore as a pure counter to Russia. NATO is a broader military alliance, based on shared core values between states. It's evolved since the Cold War days.

Article 5 was only invoked once and it didn't even involve Russia.

There are many benefits to being in NATO, especially if you're a smaller European country.

• NATO doesn't exist anymore as a pure counter to Russia. NATO is a broader military alliance, based on shared core values between states. It's evolved since the Cold War days.

Article 5 was only invoked once and it didn't even involve Russia.

There are many benefits to being in NATO, especially if you're a smaller European country.

Ok. I can't say I'm super informed about that. I'll look into it.

• And at the moment we are witnessing military attacks on major Ukrainian cities.

Did the sanctions work? Only if we are talking about escalating the conflicts.

To me it's aberrant such direct invasive deed and even more crazy that no one can do o is doing sth to effectively stop that shit from getting worse.

Feel so sorry for Ukraine.;(

• They didn't even do any "tough" sanctions.

Biden is incompetent... Boris is tied up with russian money. China won't do anything because of Taiwan.

no one else holds enough influence to matter.

Plus the first reaction of the US to this event was: we will impose tougher sanctions.

Translation: k got it. ugh more blablabla to say more conferences to hold now.

I think I might gonna have sanctions ptsd lol.

• Male WCh is going to be in Russia this year and apparently FIVB doesn't even want to walk out from that :gone:

Currently FIVB is busy with posting some information about japanese players. They don't have time to think about that.