Politics and social issues

• she's a Bolsonaro supporter, so indeed she does deserve Curitiba!

Wait, Mari is a Bolsonaro supporter?!:what:

• That's kinda contradicting considering Bolsonaro is a huge homophobe. Disappointing of Mari :(

• whaaaaat? Do you mean Mari?

Wait, Mari is a Bolsonaro supporter?!:what:

Everything points to that, yes. She's been known to follow him on social media and like some of his posts. She also never came out publicly against him in the countless movements that have happened since the election.

• Bia is gay and also a very likely Bolsonaro supporter.

We pay attention to the social media especially during the election period. Most of the Brazilian vball players (I would say at least 90% of the famous ones) support him no matter the gender, color or sexual orientation.

• It's not exactly without precedent that members of LGBTQ+ community have internalised homophobia/transphobia (indeed, some have made careers out of it), but it's still hugely disappointing.:hit:

Why do you think is he so popular among your volleyball players?

• It's not exactly without precedent that members of LGBTQ+ community have internalised homophobia/transphobia (indeed, some have made careers out of it), but it's still hugely disappointing.:hit:

Why do you think is he so popular among your volleyball players?

My opinion: Brazilian volleyball players leave school very early, which counts a lot for their alienation and lack of class consciousness. But also they have that perspective of "if I made it to being a famous volleyball player and fulfilled my dreams, anyone could do that, it's just a matter of WANTING". I hate this so much. They are one in a million but still think "you just need to go for it...". This is very aligned with the right-wing philosophy. They are also against social inclusion because "they've made it on their own"...

• Why do you think is he so popular among your volleyball players?

most the them are ignorant I wish I knew, but for some reason a very large majority of our players tend to fall for the kind of right-wing rhetoric that led to things like the 2016 coup and the 2018 election. Tons of them are very religious and/or serve for the military as well, so that also impacts their political views.

• Yes, I had forgotten about religiosity and military <X

• It's a matter of culture. This idea of meritocracy is very deeply rooted here and apparently a lot of people are very poorly educated about things like history from a young age, like Sidney said. See what's happening in Bolivia and Chile, for example. Chile has just voted to destroy Pinochet's constitution and the population as a whole seems to be very adamant about making people accountable for everything that happened during their era of dictatorship. Here in Brazil, people elect someone who openly praises the military that acted and tortured countless people during our own dictatorial era like it's nothing. Carol Gattaz, for example, once said her idol is Margaret Thatcher. Bolsonaro once visited a training of Sesc-RJ and quite a few players stopped to take pictures and celebrate his presence there (most notable known religious bigots like Fabíola and libero Natinha). Everything is weird since fascism took over the country.

• My opinion: Brazilian volleyball players leave school very early, which counts a lot for their alienation and lack of class consciousness. But also they have that perspective of "if I made it to being a famous volleyball player and fulfilled my dreams, anyone could do that, it's just a matter of WANTING". I hate this so much. They are one in a million but still think "you just need to go for it...". This is very aligned with the right-wing philosophy. They are also against social inclusion because "they've made it on their own"...

I agree with this very much, and this applies in other countries and other jobs too. It's simply survivorship bias, since for every famous volleyball player, there are 9,999 others who didn't succeed that route and don't have a voice.

• It's sad and makes you question what's wrong with the world when you see personalities like Trump and Bolsonaro rise to power and see people clamor for them :(

• I think the idea that you can do anything you want if you work hard enough for it is possibly the most dangerous lie ever told.

• I think the idea that you can do anything you want if you work hard enough for it is possibly the most dangerous lie ever told.

I dunno, yeah it's certainly a lie, but what's the alternative? not working hard? not working at all?

• we're now voting for president in the US... and it kills me that over 40% of the population still supports the WORST, most CORRUPT and INCOMPETENT pile of dog poop ever... people think he and the republicans are good for the economy (regardless of everything else), so they justify it by saying, it'll help us. now, just think, how does one create the best economy ever (like he said he did) by watching TV 10 hours a day? for sure we know he doesn't do anything else...

you can add not just bolsonazi to that list, there's erdogan, duterte, modi, sisi, orban, etc. and of course, putin, kim and xi... it's a long list.

• we're now voting for president in the US... and it kills me that over 40% of the population still supports the WORST, most CORRUPT and INCOMPETENT pile of dog poop ever... people think him and the republicans are good for the economy (regardless of everything else), so they justify it by saying, it'll help us. now, just think, how does one create the best economy ever (like he said he did) by watching tv 10 hours a day? for sure we know he doesn't do anything else...

you can add not just bolsonazi to that list, there's erdogan, duterte, modi, etc. and of course, putin and xi... it's a long list.

Yeah. There's a current trend with people like them. It's scary, sad, and tragic.

Goodluck to your elections!