Politics and social issues

• (female volleyball players in Korea are treated like idol celebrities and held to that same standard too, so revealing their marriage would've been quite bad for her, also for her personal life)

Still surprising she used to be married, but personally I'd rather not find out about an athlete's personal life (unless they committed a horrid crime and is charged in law for it), and just watch them play volley

Though, if the dude is who I think he is, I don't think DY necessarily tried hiding it when they were together, they went around together quite publicly. There were also rumours back in 2018 she wanted to retire to get married. A fan shared that back in 2019 she shared her ex-bf cheated on her so she broke up with him though. (ofc, with all stories, can be one-sided)

I'm wondering about this. Sorry, I'm not completely uptodate, but, If I understand correctly, we just found out LDY was married for some time, and that was kept private until now because it would make her look bad? Is that it? I think I heard stories about stuff like that in China or Japan, maybe. If I'm not wrong, someone mentioned something like that about Changning Zhang, that she was required to keep a relationship with a boyfriend private... But I think I had no idea this was a thing in South Korea too... Is that it? Korean players are advised to keep their relationships private? Sorry if I misunderstood...

• If I'm not wrong, someone mentioned something like that about Changning Zhang, that she was required to keep a relationship with a boyfriend private...

no, fans didn't like the fact her fiancee was proposing to her when she was out with an injury and the rest of the team were at Asian Games 2018. There's some team member on the women's basketball team (I think, can't be sure) who went public with her girlfriend and no problems.

But yeah, apparently volleyball players, like k-pop idols, are required to be single at least in the public eye... which makes no sense to me.

• But I think I had no idea this was a thing in South Korea too... Is that it? Korean players are advised to keep their relationships private? Sorry if I misunderstood...

This article might interest you. Talks about how female volleyball in Korea resembles the idol industry.

They held a survey with fans and it showed "of the 15,000 respondents, about 44% answered that they go to the stadium regardless of victory or defeat, and only 26% answered that winning or losing is important."

Talks about how front seats sell out fast because fans wish to see their star players up-close. How the club's marketing is like the idol industry where they sell membership and goods. Popularity of a club is also followed by their star players, fans follow players rather than clubs.

Athletes still mostly date freely (which was why I knew abt her ex, didn't need to dig, she was quite public and posted about him and also was captured in public often with him)
    But most who do so will start receiving a lot of hate comments afterwards, like being blamed for their poor performance on being "distracted with dating". Or just fanboys turned haters.

So some other athletes do prefer to keep their dating private (i.e. Yang Hyojin), but marriage news is on a different level for sure. Could affect the marketability of the player - goods, endorsements, fanbase, etc, especially if they're still young/in their prime.

Don't know her reasoning for keeping it private, but it is a possibility she was advised to since she was pushed as a franchise star for her club & v-league. Or, could just be her personal preference.

• no, fans didn't like the fact her fiancee was proposing to her when she was out with an injury and the rest of the team were at Asian Games 2018. There's some team member on the women's basketball team (I think, can't be sure) who went public with her girlfriend and no problems.

But yeah, apparently volleyball players, like k-pop idols, are required to be single at least in the public eye... which makes no sense to me.

Thank you both!

Ah, the famous star system! Yeah, that's something I can relate to, thinking about how it works in Brazil... But I do think particularly the way some fans deal with this, not dealing very maturely when the stars start dating people, that's something new to me, specially thinking about sports. If I think about boybands, musical artists, stuff like that, then it seems more familiar.

By the way, it was indeed a good read, suminj. I was very surprised to see how much IBK improved their popularity after the Pink Spiders lost KYK and the twins.

• Thank you both!

Ah, the famous star system! Yeah, that's something I can relate to, thinking about how it works in Brazil... But I do think particularly the way some fans deal with this, not dealing very maturely when the stars start dating people, that's something new to me, specially thinking about sports. If I think about boybands, musical artists, stuff like that, then it seems more familiar.

By the way, it was indeed a good read, suminj. I was very surprised to see how much IBK improved their popularity after the Pink Spiders lost KYK and the twins.

The way Kim Hee Jin's popularity skyrocketed in Korea after the Olympics just shows how popularity of a player doesn't always come from performance on court.

She might be important to the team because she's their only opposite option, but let's be real; performance wise, she was mediocre.

The media and IBK is really banking on her unisex look. I'm not blaming them or her, and well I must admit that her look can be a real fan-magnet (another similarity to the K-idol world maybe). Just bringing another point to the performance doesn't matter that much conversation

(just don't do too bad or you'll get dragged online).

• (just don't do too bad or you'll get dragged online).

She was actually dragged pretty bad though, she got threats and hate to herself and people around her so much so she had to take legal action.

Don't get me wrong, I really like her as a player and she was amazing when healthy (2019), but her performance wasn't just mediocre but poor during Olympics.

But of course, taking into consideration her surgery and injury and only 1 mth to train with the team - what she did was great. And its not like anyone else on the team could have replaced her.

So, tbvh, her popularity did come largely from her looks and personality (rmb idol culture). She's very likeable though for sure.

She got tons of joke marriage requests from her female fans after Olympics lol

• And not to hijack the thread or anything, but IMO she was super important in the match vs the Dominican Republic. Started super bad and finished being a key player.

But those guys, with the threats, and the hate... :aww:

• Reading that I thought the article must have come from The Onion :aww:

I mean the greatest basketball player of all time literally did all of that to his teammates. lol

The documentary "Bad Sport" has been released today by Netflix. This six-part series digs deep into the dark side of the games with match fixing etc, as we see the beauty and pure competition of sports sullied by athletes, officials and shadowy outsiders who are motivated by political self-interest or blind ambition or greed or a deadly blending of two or three of the aforementioned. The producers tell the stories of a number of figures who scurried down the rabbit hole into a world of corruption and paid high prices for their crimes and indiscretions.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15402912/

Calciopoli may not have started the decline of Serie A Football but it sure did accelerate it to the speed of light at downhill.:white:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I had no idea where I should post this, and if it was posted already over there, but it is good to share a remembrance about this poor girl, so I'll do it here: it seems to be confirmed that Afghani volleyball player, Mahjabeen Hakimi was beheaded by the Taliban government on early October, allegedly due to not wearing a hijab.

Monsters. It is so bad and sad that the West screwed up so badly in Afghanistan that as a consequence we're seeing things like that in 2021.

• This made me sick to my stomach. What a brave and beautiful young woman, she never let anyone take away her rights. What can we say... Wishing strength to their family but I read they're under threat as well atm... This deserves justice :mad:

Btw it's said she was Hazara

• If you are interested, you could listen to below podcast by The Daily where an 18 years old woman describes the cruelty she is enduring. It contains description of violence and suicide attempt. There were parts I have struggled even to hear, I have to admit.

https://pca.st/episode/03fdbdec-0356-4896-8efe-84d9361a278a

There are also other podcasts on the subject by NPR Fresh Air if you are interested.

https://pca.st/episode/367a43e1-1456-4477-972d-2a071ee31764

https://pca.st/episode/88b8e13f-ad02-4bf1-9f0d-c765a53f2fc2

• I absolutely do not get the hoopla surrounding Djokovic's vaccination status.

Omicron variant is a game changer. Everyone in this world is potentially going to get a natural immunity against it if they survive considering its milder albeit theoretical symptoms...

Vaccines are only meant to protect oneself from severe infection. It doesn't help in reducing transmission.

Masking, Isolation and Physical Distancing do all that but no one in the western world are doing it so why are these people targeting Djokovic when everyone who let down their guard after vaccination was introduced should in fact be considered as a part of the problem that unnecessarily lengthened this whole ordeal of virtue signaling and endless politicking which actually proved nothing in abrupting covid's continued existence and also added divisions and antagonisms around all health protocols involved in supressing coronavirus.

Anyway, this isn't in any way, shape or form an anti-vaxx post so before someone else try that with me, you are clearly wrong. Djokovic's vaccination status is practically the world's least of problems right now.

This is just an appeal for common sense. The world has totally lost it if we have been looking at vaccination as the motherfuck---g only solution.

Spoiler alert: It's not. The pharmaceutical corporations have moved goalposts after goalposts to 4 shots and while this isn't maybe wrong because I can foresee myself taking four shots this year after I got my ass fully vaccinated with two in 2021.

...But as someone who is neutral but leaning to a potential cumulative of 6 shot regimen this year... I can understand why some people's patience are wearing thinner because you'll be in denial if you never thought the words "When will this ever end?"

It's becoming clear to me... CDC fucked up with the mask mandate for the vaccinated which absolutely shattered everyone's confidence with face masking whether you are pro-vaxx or anti-vaxx. This shit allowed variants to pop out and roam around the world because and frankly... it contributed to a lopsided distribution of vaccines all around the world because everyone who were tired of masking in America wanted to get vaccinated so they can lose it whether you were pro-mask or anti before... and guess what?!? We're back to square one because of the selfishness of some western people.

So yeah if you are focusing on Djokovic maybe because you hate his ratass face or he threatens your Federer or Nadal record... unfortunately, this amounts to nothing at all.

Everything all leads back to CDC doing away with the face mask mandates to accelerate USA's vaccination drive which punished poorer countries in their goals to safely reopen because eveything went to America except the chinese, russian or u.k. vaccines which the western media foolishly and consistently portrayed as ineffective ones but never in anyway criticize USA's hoarding of the vaccines so they can go maskless or whatever.:aww:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

Edited 2 times, last by Rains ().

• I don't want to discuss or criticize the COVID prevention strategy of Australia. But to me it is very presumptuous and arrogant of Novak to expect that he will be exempted just because of his fame or whatever. I could easily see this happening in a corrupted country like Turkey but I am happy that Australia took a firm stand on this and don't give an exemption to an anti-vaxx just because of his fame. By the way I don't think anyone gives a shit if he will beat Federer and Nadal's record, at least not in this particular case. Rules are rules. He knew them. And he had the audacity of assuming he can get away with it

• I don't want to discuss or criticize the COVID prevention strategy of Australia. But to me it is very presumptuous and arrogant of Novak to expect that he will be exempted just because of his fame or whatever. I could easily see this happening in a corrupted country like Turkey but I am happy that Australia took a firm stand on this and don't give an exemption to an anti-vaxx just because of his fame. By the way I don't think anyone gives a shit if he will beat Federer and Nadal's record, at least not in this particular case. Rules are rules. He knew them. And he had the audacity of assuming he can get away with it

Eh, I don’t think it’s as simple as that. He had been granted an exemption and then they changed the rules on him at the last moment. I’m sure Renata Voracova didn’t think she was famous enough to be above the rules but she got her visa cancelled the same way as Djokovic.

To be clear, I’m no Djokovic fan and certainly don’t think he should get special privileges above everyone else but I also think he’s been unfairly treated. There’s no way he should have been given that exemption in the first place only for them to deny him entry on arrival.

• Rules are the rules. No vaccine not entry. From all people He got exemption to not vaccine. Oh come on. We are all stupid, and without so many money and fame so We need to be vaccine not 2times but now 3times already.

He is anti-vax. So I’m not surprised.

• Eh, I don’t think it’s as simple as that. He had been granted an exemption and then they changed the rules on him at the last moment. I’m sure Renata Voracova didn’t think she was famous enough to be above the rules but she got her visa cancelled the same way as Djokovic.

To be clear, I’m no Djokovic fan and certainly don’t think he should get special privileges above everyone else but I also think he’s been unfairly treated. There’s no way he should have been given that exemption in the first place only for them to deny him entry on arrival.

They deemed that he doesn't deserve an exemption, that's why he is refused to enter the country. I don't know how he get the visa in the first place, either he didn't provide the correct information ( there was false claims about him being covid positive a month ago) or some of the consulate officers didn't do proper checks due to his status. But at the end, they realized that he doesn't deserve any special treatment.

Disclaimer: I'm not discussing whether Australian government's criteria to entry is sound or not. I just believe nobody famous should expect a special treatment due to their status

• He is literally a threat to society with his mindset tbh, let alone rewarding him with special treatment bcs he is rich.

no