USA-Athletes Unlimited League

• Figured it would be good to have a thread on this "league" given it starts in three months.

League Website Instagram Twitter

There's a lot to take in with this new project, its very different from any other league. Matches will begin on February 27 and run through March 29 (as of now). Compensation will be a base pay of $10,000 for all players while the biggest winners could up to $50,000 based on performance. There will be a bubble in Dallas where AU will provide housing, food, as well as practice facilities.

Athletes are not based in teams, rather its fend for oneself to earn points. Each week the top four athletes who score the most points will be captains who then get to choose their squad for the following week. Matches will be three sets and each team will play three sets regardless of outcome. There will be coaches available, Karch will be one of them.

Points are distributed as following

Set Won: +30

Overall Match Won: +40 *Outcome is decided by total points, not sets won. A team can only win one set and still win the match if they outscore their opponents

MVP 1: +60

MVP 2: +40

MVP 3: +20

MVPs are decided by a vote between players and the members of The Unlimited Club (which is a sponsor membership for fans)

Serving: Ace: +12, Error: -8

Hitting: Kill +8, Hitting Error: -12

Setting: Assist: +1, Error (double contact or lift): -12

Dig: +5

Passing: Good Pass: +2, Passing Error: -12

Blocking: Block +12

Drafting

Teams are drafted each week, with captains being the top 4 scorers from the previous week.

The captain will be allowed two minutes per pick to select their teammate. Once the player has been selected, the captain may use that player to consult for their next picks.

Drafting will continue until the other 44 players have been drafted.

Television and Schedule

As of now there is not a set schedule nor is there a named TV provider. TV providers (in the USA) will be CBSSN and FS2. Unaired matches will be free to watch online.

• Players (Notable Club affiliations and last pro season) (player positions are according to AU website)

Setters

Taylor Bruns (VfB Suhl 18-20)

Erica Handley (Nantes 17-18)

Kelly Hunter (Beylikduzu 18-19)

Brie King (CAN) (Dresdner 19-20)

Kaylee Manns (Rota Koleji , Beylikduzu, Partizani Tirane 19-20)

Valerie Nichol (Stuttgart, #VolleyWroclaw, Lodz, Potsdam 19-20)

Amanda Peterson (UVC Holding Graz 19-20)

Samantha Seliger-Swenson (Beziers 19-20)

Liberos

Tiffany Clark (University of Wisconsin 19)

Dalianliz Rosado (PR) (University of Minnesota 18)

Kristen Tupac (Sm'Aesch Pfeffingen 18-19)

Nomaris Velez (PR) (Changas de Naranjito 19-20)

Outside Hitters

Jordan Larson (You better know her lol)

Aury Cruz (PR) (Novara, Scandicci, Cuneo, Caserta, Amazonas de Trujillo Alto 19-20)

Erin Fairs (Aris Thessaloniki 19-20)

Cassidy Lichtman (Lokomotiv Baku, Le Cannet, Sichuan 15-17)

Deja McClendon (Lodz, Trentino, Minas 19-20)

Lindsay Stalzer (Stuttgart, F2 Logistics Cargo Movers 18-20)

Bethany De La Cruz

Odina Aliyeva (Azerbaijan)

Symone Abbot (Karayollari)

Leah Edmond (University of Kentucky)

Erica Wilson (SC Berlin, Munster)

Holly Tolliver

Opposites

Sherridan Atkinson (Galatasary, Nilufer 19-20)

Katie Carter (Volero Zurich, Guangdong, Vicenza, Nantes 17-18)

Sheilla Castro (BRA)

Willow Johnson

Sareea Freeman (Yesilyurt 18-19)

Alex Holston (Chemik Police, VC Maritza 18-20)

Karsta Lowe

Ebony Nwanebu (Büyükçekmece Voleybol, Martignacco 19-20)

Middle Blockers

Ali Bastienelli (Beziers 19-20)

Lauren Gibbemeyer (USA NT)

Nia Grant (Nantes, Stuttgart, Potsdam, Filottrano 19-20)

Molly Lohman (Fatima Nyiregyhaza 19-20)

Molly McCage (Wiesbaden, Stuttgart 17-19)

Taylor Morgan (University of Minnesota 19)

Lianna Sybeldon (CSM Targoviste 17-18)

Ci Michel (United Kingdom, Aachen, Busto Arsizio)

Taylor Sandbothe (Cannes, Peru, Thailand)

Cori Crocker (University of Michigan)

Tori Dixon

Kristy Wieser

• This formula is super weird, especially in a sport that relies so much on the collective, but let's hope they will build the foundation for something better in the future

• I'm not sure what expectations for the future will be.

I know they were counting on getting athletes that just finished school, but that's not happening this year #thankscorona

I think it can also be aimed as a swan-song for those done overseas or a quick paycheck lol

• Same, this is a really weird format to me. Would we see setters going over on 2 more frequently to go for that "+8" instead of setting to the outside/opposite?

Also, who's Jordan Larson? ;)

Anyways, I think I see five well-known international players.

• Same, this is a really weird format to me. Would we see setters going over on 2 more frequently to go for that "+8" instead of setting to the outside/opposite?

Also, who's Jordan Larson? ;)

Anyways, I think I see five well-known international players.

Strategies for setters will be interesting... will there be agreements with the opposites since neither of them get passing points? lol

Foluke was supposed to be one of the headliners.... but she's not listed on the roster anymore so idk

• Well, it's 10k for a bit more than a month's worth of work, with all expenses paid for.

I'm sure the recent college grads are not complaining, especially in this economy.

• Well, it's 10k for a bit more than a month's worth of work, with all expenses paid for.

I'm sure the recent college grads are not complaining, especially in this economy.

yup, that'll be really attractive next season when the seasons are more aligned with COVID not affecting them. I expect to see a lot of recent grads try to use this to jump to a better league or team in Europe/Asia

• I feel sorry for the girls that are going to get picked towards the bottom/last, can't imagine what that does to their confidence (brings back memories from phys. ed)

If I was captain I would probably pick a good setter first. I'm only familiar with Ozge and SSS, not sure how the others are ranked compared to each other.

• I feel sorry for the girls that are going to get picked towards the bottom/last, can't imagine what that does to their confidence (brings back memories from phys. ed)

If I was captain I would probably pick a good setter first. I'm only familiar with Ozge and SSS, not sure how the others are ranked compared to each other.

I agree, especially if the captain is an opposite my first pick would be SSS. She has such good tempo setting behind her.

I think there's definitely going to be some awkwardness in picking those that are at the bottom. I have a feeling it will be the setters and middles, there's quite a talent gap between some of the players there.

• The point mechanism is interesting, it’s obvious that they want to reward players with the most consistency with less error. But it seems that it’s easy for setters to have lots of positive points, as they would at least set a hundred times in a match but only double contact for a few times. While MBs would be much harder to get the points, as they usually don’t get as many sets as OH/Opp, and in average a MB would get only around 5-7 stuff blocks in a match, also they aren’t involved in passing and digging that much.

• The point mechanism is interesting, it’s obvious that they want to reward players with the most consistency with less error. But it seems that it’s easy for setters to have lots of positive points, as they would at least set a hundred times in a match but only double contact for a few times. While MBs would be much harder to get the points, as they usually don’t get as many sets as OH/Opp, and in average a MB would get only around 5-7 stuff blocks in a match, also they aren’t involved in passing and digging that much.

Yea middles are probably the odd ones out.

Setters though they may set the ball a lot, its the actual assists that'll count. That may add up but its nothing compared to the points kills get.

It's definitely an interesting system. I'll bet we see a change to the points format if there's a second season.

• Honestly make them vote to eliminate one player from the losing team and throw a bunch of confessionals here and there and this is basically a reality show lmao

Omg that's what I thought at the first place 😂😂. It would be really fun and honestly I would watch that😂😂

Imagine a spiker complaining about setter's sets and choices 😂😂

I would love that

• I don't think I'd want it to be a reality show setup because I already have my image of how the girls are. They could reserve that for the younger University girls but then they wouldn't have anything to upload on their youtube channels anymore lol

• Honestly make them vote to eliminate one player from the losing team and throw a bunch of confessionals here and there and this is basically a reality show lmao

And invite crovolley and QPL as guest judges. High ratings guaranteed!!!