Japan Women's NT 2021

• Well I can't say I didn't see that coming. I was getting suspicious when Miyu never played a single game even though she clearly stated in the presscon that she will contribute. I guess her knee just isn't strong enough and making her risk everything for a medal that may not even happen is probably asking for too much.

Her birthday is on July 25, she will probably announce her retirement by then.

Anyway it was fun you guys :wavy:

• Such a huge feat for Momii having to go straight to the Olympics on her first time in the NT. I think she'll do just fine as long as she doesn't overdo those dumps in an effort to score

• Well I can't say I didn't see that coming. I was getting suspicious when Miyu never played a single game even though she clearly stated in the presscon that she will contribute. I guess her knee just isn't strong enough and making her risk everything for a medal that may not even happen is probably asking for too much.

Her birthday is on July 25, she will probably announce her retirement by then.

Anyway it was fun you guys :wavy:

are you gonna skip watching tokyo but you won't really be leaving right?

• Hayashi is not ready in my mind. Throw in height difference (5 cm) and highest jump (292 to 305), both in Nabeya’s favor. It basically makes no sense.

Nabeya has proved time after time she is a spark plug off the bench.

One thing Kumi almost never does is double down on defense with a back row sub. It is usually just service change and then out. Nabeya can be serve and back row defense. Let alone she can hit from the back if available. Or even the double switch setter and opposite.

Ishii I am ok with because longest tenured player and if needed can play OH or passing opposite.

Okumura as a 4th middle, I don’t think will matter. Just making sure if there is an injury or that she has one more back up.

• Hayashi is not ready in my mind. Throw in height difference (5 cm) and highest jump (292 to 305), both in Nabeya’s favor. It basically makes no sense.

Nabeya has proved time after time she is a spark plug off the bench.

One thing Kumi almost never does is double down on defense with a back row sub. It is usually just service change and then out. Nabeya can be serve and back row defense. Let alone she can hit from the back if available. Or even the double switch setter and opposite.

Ishii I am ok with because longest tenured player and if needed can play OH or passing opposite.

Okumura as a 4th middle, I don’t think will matter. Just making sure if there is an injury or that she has one more back up.

That's just wrong. Quantity played doesn't equate to quality and the only one who has that down is Araki, you can't say the same Ishii. Her efficiency is not there anymore on top of being sluggish and her main weapon being tipping

• Hayashi 2021 VNL 22 kills, 9 errors, 60 swings, 1 block, 2 aces, 5 serve errors, 46 attempts, 18 digs, 13 excellents, 3 sr errors, 39 attempts

nabeya 11 kills, 4 errors, 25 swings, 1 block, 3 aces, 3 serve errors, 44 attempts, 8 digs, 9 excellents, 1 sr error 20 attempts

only difference is the digs, everything else in Nabeya favor.

• Whatever. This pro-ishi sentiment is bullshit. She's overrated and everyone can see that. If she has to retire bearing Nakada's name on her forehead then so be it she can take all that with her along with her tipping automatism legacy

• That's just wrong. Quantity played doesn't equate to quality and the only one who has that down is Araki, you can't say the same Ishii. Her efficiency is not there anymore on top of being sluggish and her main weapon being tipping

look I get that everyone says Ishii should not be there. She was going to be there. Who from Nakada’s club experience is left. It is her because Risa Shinnabe would be on this team last year. Ishii and Iwasaka would be on this team, last year. She tried giving Nagaoka one last chance. She was the only one left of that Hisamitsu core from the beginning of the 2010 decade.

Coaches have hunches and while Ishii is one of them for her, there is a reason. She has been been this team the longest excluding Araki due to childbirth. In Japan there is something to be said for that.

Don’t think that all great players make rosters. Coaches make weird decisions because it makes sense to them. Sometimes they work out and other times it doesn’t.

I will tell you that Japan had a good VNL, but with better rosters from USA, Serbia, Brazil, China and Italy all in front of them, just making a semifinal would be a great tournament in my mind. The win against Russia was impressive, but many matches went 5 sets. Sometimes Japan has to go longer, but they will not out athletic their opponents. Kurogo is playing out of club position. But really there is no other immediate option at opposite, excluding sitenoise yelling at me. Look at Japanese rosters at opposite. Kulan, Lee, Drews, Neriman, etc. over the years, many are opposites. Now with the 1+1 rule, you can see different positions with foreigners but still Japanese opposites are not great compared to their foreigner counterparts.

• I am not saying that I am pro-Ishii. 2018 Ishii was probably about her best on the national team. Hisamitsu were flying in their club.
    2019 was really a time to try the youngsters in the World Cup, but JVA is going to run a few of them, but not the whole roster, hence Mayu Ishikawa, who I think is deservedly on the team. Yamada as well.

Hayashi is good in the league because of Drews backing her up. Momii should have been on the team in 2020, but Nakata decided nope, which just made no sense to me. Seeing Momii in this year makes sense. She’ll get better with more experience. Tashiro is a decent veteran presence. Miyashita shiuld be in the mix, but Nakada being a setter just who put her in and out so often, I am glad she won’t have this stain on her. Oddly if you think about it, she’ll might have more medals than almost everyone minus Araki, but tied with Ishii, 2014 World Grand Prix.

• just looking at the IG and seeing lots of Nagaoka, why is she not on the list. Have you seen her play in the last month?
    may we’re surprised with Nabeya. Miyashita getting some call outs as well.

• Nabeya who outperformed Ishii and has the defense the pins need was cut.

This shocked me as well, Nabeya was hands down the best sub for Japan this tournament imo. She brought something special each time.

I can't understand Ishii

• Such a huge feat for Momii having to go straight to the Olympics on her first time in the NT. I think she'll do just fine as long as she doesn't overdo those dumps in an effort to score

Im wondering if Tokyo OG held last year, would Momii make it to the roster?

• Im wondering if Tokyo OG held last year, would Momii make it to the roster?

Momii wasn't part of the wide roster so no. Ideally it would have been Sato's responsibility but I don't know the exact timeframe of her injury so if she was injured they would have called Miyashita or Matsui.

• Like you guys have said it - nabeya has it all - left, right, serve, reception, 2nd libero, and a spark when coming in from the bench. What does a 4th mb has to offer?

but i have to say, at the beginning of the cycle(~2017), i wont imagine that both sato and tominaga wont make it, and both shinnabe and nagaoka also wont make it...

• Like you guys have said it - nabeya has it all - left, right, serve, reception, 2nd libero, and a spark when coming in from the bench. What does a 4th mb has to offer?

but i have to say, at the beginning of the cycle(~2017), i wont imagine that both sato and tominaga wont make it, and both shinnabe and nagaoka also wont make it...

Acting 2nd libero is Okumura who I'm sure was needed since all 4 of them are attacking MBs to compensate wherever Kurogo falls short

• She has resting bitch face like Kristen Stewart. The long hair suits her way better

I don't know where that photo came from or if it's a photoshop thing or what , but I have never loved a photo more than I love that photo :)

Sometimes you have to look at the world and say "fuck you"

Love, after Dark
    FTW