Japan Women's NT 2021

• Interesting. I have never heard of any of these girls. Denso's latest key player is a new MB I don't know her name, Manami? Minami? she's not that tall though.

• I get what you're trying to convey but I don't think she's cut out to be an opposite. They could put her back to being an OH if that would make her better. Being moody because you're not the best is not an adversity. Every athlete in the NT has to live up to something regardless of titles.

Agreed. Past few years, kurogo fails to play up to expectations. Not that shes not good, but yeah, nothing extraordinary shown by her. Plus, playing in OPP position may have hinder her ability

• Tall is not the answer. None of those "tall" players are very good. (There are a lot of 'shorties' who are, though)

Who was the best, most consistent player for Japan this summer? How tall is she?

Japan needs smart players who live for defense

[Edit] and a setter who can run combinations in transition

• I agree that tall is not the answer but smart players are also one in a million. Aggressive players are not the smart kind. But players who are less aggressive but play carefully don't score well. I go for a smart setter and more aggressive hitters like Fedorovtseva.

• I agree that tall is not the answer but smart players are also one in a million. Aggressive players are not the smart kind. But players who are less aggressive but play carefully don't score well. I go for a smart setter and more aggressive hitters like Fedorovtseva.

It's a complex cocktail to find the right balance, I agree

One of the 'tallest' pins in HS right now is Kinranai's Mika Yoshitake. She's flirted with U-Squad stuff a bit and is #5 on that list posted a few posts up. She's 181cm now. As the only senior in the starting 6 she got Kurogo'd by a 168cm freshman, Anna Uemura (I think that's the probable translation), that is, she got moved to OP :)

You can watch them play a SF match from two days ago here. It's not even close who's the better player having the most impact. On the other side of the net #4 Megumi Fukasawa OH will likely go to college (smart type) but if not she'll be someone people will know about soon

btw

#14 Hiravivian Chidinma MB 182cm - uni(?) on that list is Vivian Taira. She did go to Uni. She's pretty good, but rather mild

#12 Somi Takahashi MB 184cm?? is , I think it's "Aomi" Takahashi. She also went to Uni. She's a nothing burger

• What's this nothing burger?

• What's this nothing burger?

sorry about that. really. I heard it on the news or something. means not a big deal, I think

• Noburo's theory that Kurugo will be able to repeat Nagaoka's high efficiency in attack during Rio 2016 using sheer power. What could possibly go wrong?

I'm curious if there are any Tweet things out there that speak to this as Noburo's Theory. I never heard such a thing. I don't want to hear such a thing.

• The main reason for Kurogo being the face of this team as follows.

1. Did your high school win Haruko? Yes, Kurogo won twice with Shimo Kitazawa Seitoku in 2016 and 2017.

2. Were you a star player in Haruko? Yes, Kurogo was named MVP in both 2016 and 2017

3. Did you turn pro after high school? Yes, going to Toray to follow Saori Kimura in her final season.

4. Did you play with the national team? Yes from 2017 and led the team in scoring in 2018 VNL.

The combination of all of these things put her as one of the "faces" of the team.

I will say that in my mind, Ishikawa has improved her play this season. Kurogo kind of coasts at times because of Ishikawa. Some of Ishikawa's improvement has probably come from watching her brother and learning from him, especially with him in the Italian league.

Kurogo was the captain of Shimo Kitazawa Seitoku and from past profile videos showing her in practice and already being called the ace in 2019. At the World Champs in 2018 she said the speed of some spikes seemed like it was coming from men.

• LOL

• I dont expect Dom will sweep out Japan in the first set, 25-10. Seems like everything is not working on Japan atm. Eh, actually i think Dom defense just get to dig all Japan attack.

• Losing doesn't bother me as much as being no fun. There's no fun with this group :(

• Has Japan run a single combination in this whole tournament?

• this is comical