Japan Women's NT 2021

• I think Japan's chances for the next Olympics would depend on how China would do this next Olympic's qualifiers. China's core is practically the same sans few key players (Ding and Dan), and given how they the few games played out in the Olympics there is material to still succeed internationally BUT they are frail. Japan is in the crossroads with the 2021 team. They are defensively and offensively better than the last few squads BUT this team is too shallow in talent to be competitive with stronger or more consistent teams. With THA and KOR having a team overhaul in the coming years , how they will be playing is still quite in the air. Their International Qualifiers chance is a bit low TBH but their chance for a continental qualifiers is relatively fair unless other talents would play far better. The next national coach/Nakada must focus on development of the others of the team and build on the positives of the current squad.

• Well, I think China still has a promising future with their younger player, seeing the last few matches of them. Some of the key players from China's team A and B may retire, but still, I can say that the younger generation still manage to play well, based on the last few matches in the Olympic and VNL.

Japn should bring back their iconic do or die defense since their attacking has downgraded a lot these days.

Japan really need to do big reformation in the team. Change all the mindset. They need to be more enthusiastic in attacking, show some violence, spirits. This point also goes for the defensive side. Improving the defense as well as the floor defense may also lead in bringing other players, (ofc miyashita is included). There are a lot of things to do before the qualification period

• With the changed system of global qualification for the first round, China more than likely should beat a 7-12 placed team. Meaning Japan would have to win the Asian qualifier. Korea without KYK will drop a bit. Also will the twins be back at some point with the national team? I would expect it but you never know. Thailand is further down the ranking right now. Japan will probably be around the same level even with Araki retiring.

• I think Japan's chances for the next Olympics would depend on how China would do this next Olympic's qualifiers. China's core is practically the same sans few key players (Ding and Dan), and given how they the few games played out in the Olympics there is material to still succeed internationally BUT they are frail.

I agree, with the new weird rankings you don't know if they could accidentally match up against Serbia or Italy. They are 6 and 9 currently but I doubt Serbia will care about VNL so their ranking would drop again.

• Like Avid already mentioned, they should try pushing Koga to play in a top tier club in Italy or Turkey and see if it yields anything. It doesn't necessarily guarantee that she will be better but if their "best" players don't get used to other environments then they never develop further. Which is needed now more than ever since they do not have any official ace. I never understood why Miyashita was denied playing overseas. She didn't regress but she was just stuck in the same level without any outstanding growth when she could have been capable of more.

Poor planning and development for their female players.

Yes yes yes. Koga should and could. And thank you for being specific, and realistic, instead of this generalized notion that "abroad" is definitionally where better players with higher volleyball IQ are. Abroad is a big place.

Having said that, Reina Toukoku could broaden her horizons and become a better volleyball player if she spent a year "abroad".

• JVA launched this special project right after Tokyo was chosen as the host for the Olympic games. A few 'gifted' boys & girls (around 12 for each) from local league and HS competition were selected then closely groomed by JVA's Team, aiming for nothing but at least a place on the podium at Tokyo 2020. The program was heavily promoted in 2013 and 2014 along with the newly invented tactics from Manabe. But after Rio 2016's failure, i did not hear anything else about it.

Still, most of the boys from this project survived and actually became the core of the current senior Team in this circle. Meanwhile, no selected girls made it to the Olympic except Koga and Kurogo. IIRC, the list included our lovely Miyashita, the awkward Misaki Shirai of Toray, our poor girl Riho Otake, the overated Nozumi Ito of Toray and Nana Sakamoto of Denso, Miyashi Minabe - the little black pearl at WC 2015 and Arisa Inoue who brought JPN to the final of the 2013 U20 world championship.

I'm pretty sure the current Saga coach handled the boy's Team back then as his Team just won the national title in previous season. Toray's coach turned down the offer to deal with the girl's Team, so someone else took over but i could not remember exactly who. At first i assumed it must have been Kawakita but he was at Turkey with Saori so it should be someone else. Probably Kiyoshi Abo ?!

Fascinating! And it illuminates Nana Sakamoto. I remember very specifically writing in these pages that she seemed like the kind of player that coaches like, but she wasn't really performing all that well. I was still surprised when she retired after GOING ABROAD for a year :rolll:

• Reason why I would want to see them play abroad is to get them accustomed in playing with/against non Japanese volleyball.

I understand that we have the likes of Momii who's a rookie in the international scene but they attacked and defended like theyre still playing against a Japanese team. Very evident on the lack of Zone 1 defense.

• The question of whether they will even qualify actually scares me.

For the time being, the least JVA could do is make them compete more. They have nothing to do post-Olympics but they should put them in a friendly match with Netherlands or Germany (with Lippmann) really anything to make them active.

it will be reset from there. this 2020-21 squad is done.

i don't know who would make good additions since i dont follow vleague closely. but if valdes doesn't do well during vleague, who else would be considered promising? everyone was saying how strong hawi? from hitachi? is but she never made the nt. is osanai a good option? there's also that girl from okayama Japanese fans love bringing up but has never done any matches outside okayama. should soga be considered? more importantly how will yoshihara approach the issue of a regular setter? will she stick with momii and nurture her? i think momii's works well with koga, mayu and hayashi so as much as possible i still want her to grow from here.

• Japan ran a grand total of ONE combination play in five matches at the OG. WTF?

• it will be reset from there. this 2020-21 squad is done.

i don't know who would make good additions since i dont follow vleague closely. but if valdes doesn't do well during vleague, who else would be considered promising? everyone was saying how strong hawi? from hitachi? is but she never made the nt. is osanai a good option? there's also that girl from okayama Japanese fans love bringing up but has never done any matches outside okayama. should soga be considered? more importantly how will yoshihara approach the issue of a regular setter? will she stick with momii and nurture her? i think momii's works well with koga, mayu and hayashi so as much as possible i still want her to grow from here.

Syuka Kaneda :) no respect, man :rolll:

Here's an honest question, although I don't know quite how to ask it:

Improving the Kurogo's defense or improving Kaneda's offense? Which would be easier/more likely to succeed?

I would personally work on Kaneda but I'm biased.

I would also focus on Hayashi because she has defense in her blood.

It's too bad Minami Takaso is only 164cm because she's one of the smartest, hardest working players in V.League

• I've checked again the wide roster for 2021 and all the other players not selected for Olympics are not tall, including the middle blockers. I hope in the future, they get to have good players atleast the same height as Koga. I know height is not the only important factor but it's sad that all the other prospects are even smaller than the current roster.

• I see what you did there:whistle:

I missed it the first time I read it :) but yeah, well-played skorost

• Melissa Valdes, Fuyumi Hawi Okumu Oba, Aoi An Furukawa (?). Assuming Valdes naturalizes they are among the 'strongest' Japanese attackers. But holy yikes if you think Japan's defense is bad now. Throw Arisa Inoue in there as backup. OMG

• Melissa Valdes, Fuyumi Hawi Okumu Oba, Aoi An Furukawa (?). Assuming Valdes naturalizes they are among the 'strongest' Japanese attackers. But holy yikes if you think Japan's defense is bad now. Throw Arisa Inoue in there as backup. OMG

That's way too long. What's on her jersey? Oba?

Is Kitsui not considered strong? She tore Saga a new one iirc

• That's way too long. What's on her jersey? Oba?

Is Kitsui not considered strong? She tore Saga a new one iirc

Okumu Oba is on her shirt. I call her Fuyumi

Kitsui seems great at what she was called upon to do: be the two card . I don't think she's a full match player, honestly.

• Japan really need to do big reformation in the team. Change all the mindset. They need to be more enthusiastic in attacking, show some violence, spirits. This point also goes for the defensive side. Improving the defense as well as the floor defense may also lead in bringing other players, (ofc miyashita is included). There are a lot of things to do before the qualification period

I don't know how you teach or improve defense. I mean, things like standing in the right place according to where the blocker is and where that means the hole the attacker is likely to hit through, yes. That brainy stuff De Genarro knows. Kobata to an extent.

But the quick reactive, dive like you mean it, intuitive, courageous defense of someone like the famous Syuka Kaneda? How do you teach that?

I'm an idealist and a romantic. I say start with players who clearly show a propensity for defense and work from there. It seems nonsensical to me to start with good attackers and think Japan is going to outscore anyone in the international game if they don't play defense.