Italian Women NT 2021

• I don’t want to make any excuses for Italian players, but it is clear that Italy was out of shape since a middle of this tournament in really bad way, and that’s why it doesn’t make sense to over-analysis this performance to be honest. Volleyball is a tricky sport that when you’re out of shape, you can look like an amateur even if you’re really great player, and regularly on these international competitions some teams are indeed out of shape. I experienced that a lot as a fan of male Polish NT, because we’re so inconsistent so we play well like once in 2-3 years or so, so Bartosz Kurek went from being a black hole to MVP of WCH in a year, and it wasn’t related to his actual skills, but his physical shape and shape of Polish NT In general. Obviously, this tournament showed Egon’s technical limitations, and I'm not arguing that, but to be honest every Italian player played below her normal level, and if that’s a case then something went really wrong. Every player but De Gennaro, but she’s a libero, so not that sensitive and dependent on a physical shape, I guess. For example, Bosetti had amazing club season, but she looked like a shadow of herself as well, so did Fahr or Danesi.

So – well done, great to have Mazzanti for next 3 years, and well done, federation, skipping VNL at home was such a smart move! And I guess it was great for Sorokaite and Folie to have a really nice trip to Japan in COVID-times.

Oh, and I guess some of us get more humble for a future.

• I don’t want to make any excuses for Italian players, but it is clear that Italy was out of shape since a middle of this tournament in really bad way, and that’s why it doesn’t make sense to over-analysis this performance to be honest. Volleyball is a tricky sport that when you’re out of shape, you can look like an amateur even if you’re really great player, and regularly on these international competitions some teams are indeed out of shape. I experienced that a lot as a fan of male Polish NT, because we’re so inconsistent so we play well like once in 2-3 years or so, so Bartosz Kurek went from being a black hole to MVP of WCH in a year, and it wasn’t related to his actual skills, but his physical shape and shape of Polish NT In general. Obviously, this tournament showed Egon’s technical limitations, and I'm not arguing that, but to be honest every Italian player played below her normal level, and if that’s a case then something went really wrong. Every player but De Gennaro, but she’s a libero, so not that sensitive and dependent on a physical shape, I guess. For example, Bosetti had amazing club season, but she looked like a shadow of herself as well, so did Fahr or Danesi.

So – well done, great to have Mazzanti for next 3 years, and well done, federation, skipping VNL at home was such a smart move! And I guess it was great for Sorokaite and Folie to have a really nice trip to Japan in COVID-times.

Do you think having a long league significantly tire them out?

• Do you think having a long league significantly tire them out?

I think that not playing in VNL when you have young roster, and you didn't play together for over a year, was dumb.

I think Italy wasn't in a good shape physically, that's a reason of tone of errors and poor overall performance of every player but De Gennaro.

I don't think long league and tiredness was relevant, Boskovic is outplaying Egonu easily, and she had to carry Eczacimessy all season long. They just didn't find a shape in a proper moment.

It is all on coaching staff and federation, I feel sorry for the players that obviously are criticized the most, but it is not their fault.

100% agree.

Despite of the first 3 wins, Italy never showed all their potential not cuz of their rivals didnt let them, but cuz of themselves. It was clear they were out of shape. Sport is like this too. It isnt at all the fault of the others that one medal contendor arrived in bad conditions to the main tournament. The other teams took advantage of it.

Of course, some players well extra tired cuz of the demanding club season. A break was needed. but I strongly believe that they should have played at least two weekends there.

The situation here is different that with Italy men Nt cuz of with in the first case, the veterans spoke up and prefered to skip VNL, cuz it was too demanding to sacrifice 1 summer month + bubble conditions. In the women side, it was a tecnical staff decision. It didnt pay off either.

• I missed Italy vs Serbia because there are only so many consecutive hours in the day I can remain awake. I'm not surprised at all with the result, but I'm really surprised of learning Mazzanti subbed Ofelia for Orro after all. Probably too little too late, but I didn't think he had it in him somehow. If anything, I think it contributes to the perception he managed his choices the messiest way possible.

This doesn't contradict in anything what other posters have said previously, but since I've only been paying attention to court related stuff, those are my 2 cents.

• Okay, I see your point.

But still, I would buy this theory if other players played on their normal level, but that's not a case here, since a match against China they looked messy both individual and as a team. I'm not saying it didn't affect Egonu at all, but I don't think it was a main reason of Paola flopping, that's her limitations as a player and physical shape of her and a team, IMHO. We criticize Egonu, because she's a leader of this team, to some degree deservedly so, but the same we can say about Bosetti or middles, and they all had great seasons in a league. That's why I referred to game against China, because there was no pressure with China being eliminated already, and yet Italy as a team was pathetic, that's ''pure'' example how bad they were at the latter stage of a tournament after okay beginning for me.

Leonardo.D - I don't think Mazzanti should stay as a HC, and I hope he won't, but he probably will, so he can say whatever nonsense he wants to, I guess.

(moving this here cause it feels much more appropriate)

I obviously don't think that was the one and only issue, the main issue was them getting there without having played together in over 2 years or in some cases never played together at all. What makes me think on Egonu there was also something else going on is that while everyone else at the start despite having a (mostly) subpar performance was at least keeping it together, she has been complitely off and abysmal from the start. Then I don't know what happened after that game with China, everyone else just started to lose it and Mazzanti just didn't have the authority to bring back some order. I know everyone here criticized Terzic for that whole thing with Milenkovic towel and I also didn't appreciated it, but I feel like that something like that would have been way more useful than the usual "Keep having fun :) :) Stay creative :D :D :D ".

But going back to Egonu all the press and coverage she recieved pre Olympics reminded me a lot of Pellegrini back in London and Rio, italian media love to get an appealing story and build a narrative around it and they have been the most covered Olympians in their respective cycles for reasons that weren't necessarily sport related, I saw people that barely know what shape a volleyball court is talking about Egonu. And well Pellegrini also didn't get the results people were expecting and recieved the backlash, but while Pellegrini leaned into her public image outside of the sport I don't think Egonu has any interest on any kind of celebrity status (if anything I get the vibe that she wants to be left alone as much as possible).

And again this is just me speculating and trying to make it make sense, cause honestly the performance she had on an individual level was not just bad but straight up amateurish, not even in Club Italia I remember her being so awful for so many consecutive games, there has been zero improvement from start to finish.

• I was listening to their post game interviews, and despite never being a big estimator of her, Malinov interview was just heartbreaking, even if you don't understand italian just hearing her trying to stay calm and just bursting out in tears is so sad. I also feel for her because she genuinely seems the one that cares the most and also very self aware of her limits (in general, not in this snippet). I wish they would have worked more on her precision and general vision of the game instead of trying to make her play this fast volleyball for no reason whatsoever that just feels forced on her, she could have been a much better setter by now imo

On the other end of the spectrum tho there's Pietrini with the same tone she would have after Scandicci losing a meaningless game with Conegliano at the start of the season, I know a lot of people don't like what appears to be an over it attitude, but I'm starting to warm up on her being constantly unbothered lol

• I was listening to their post game interviews, and despite never being a big estimator of her, Malinov interview was just heartbreaking, even if you don't understand italian just hearing her trying to stay calm and just bursting out in tears is so sad. I also feel for her because she genuinely seems the one that cares the most and also very self aware of her limits (in general, not in this snippet). I wish they would have worked more on her precision and general vision of the game instead of trying to make her play this fast volleyball for no reason whatsoever that just feels forced on her, she could have been a much better setter by now imo

Any defeat will always send your tears one drop away, especially after being defeated in OG quarterfinal. I couldnt imagine she could finish that interview tho, Ill be crying from the first time that journalist asked her.

I think Conegliano fast play system really influence what this team want to be. But maybe they forget that everything must be in sync, and not to downgrade the player but Conegliano built that system for years and along the season. I cant agree more with you about this forced play. Looking at how Serbia could survive and even win with that high balls, I think Italy will able to pull that too with the great prospect in the team. Hope they can come up with a better teamwork, higher self confidence, and more persistence.

• Next time, when you have an opportunity to play and perfect your fast system, like, I don't know, VNL, you just take it... Skipping VNL to show up like that in OG, not their finest moment

• Next time, when you have an opportunity to play and perfect your fast system, like, I don't know, VNL, you just take it... Skipping VNL to show up like that in OG, not their finest moment

If anything the VNL would have shown (once again) that the fast system doesn't work, Malinov has been trying it for years and I can think of maybe just a couple of games where it actually worked. But well they would have tried it anyway 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Giulia Gennari would run this team much better than both Orro and Malinov:teach:

• And moving on to ECH now, considering the roster is going to be of 14 players, who do you guys think are going to be the 5th and 6th MBs?

Lubian for sure will be the 5th. Then it would be a toss out between Bonifacio/Mazzaro for the 6th.

But seriously speaking, they should bring D'Odorico as the 4th OH. She can pass and score. And then Nwakalor/Mingardi as 2nd Opp. And maybe replace Sorokaite with a 2nd libero maybe?