USA Women's NT 2021

• Happy 2021! The US will have high ambitions for Tokyo (I have certain doubts) but lets go! (hopefully I'm not forgetting anyone)

USA Olympic Candidates

Setter : Lauren Carlini, Micha Hancock, Jordyn Poulter

OH: Jordan Larson, Kelsey Robinson, Michelle Bartsch-Hackley, Kim Hill

OPP: Annie Drews, Karsta Lowe, Jordan Thompson

MB: Foluke Akinradewo, Chiaka Ogbogu, Tori Dixon, Haleigh Washington, Rachael Adams

LIB: Justine Wong-Orantes, Megan Courtney

(These who I think are the main candidates, I don't see Karch changing them)

On the outside looking in (past members of a USA roster)

S: Samantha Seliger Swenson

OH: Madison Kingdon, Sarah Wilhite-Parsons, Kathryn Plummer, Simone Lee, Mikaela Foecke (?), Veronica Jones-Perry

MB: Hannah Tapp, Dana Rettke, Rhamat Alhassan

Opp: Krystal Rivers, Danielle Cuttino, Sherridan Atkinson

Lib: Morgan Hentz

Names for the the next Quad/Future:

S: Ashley Evans, Anise Havili, Katie Oleksak, Jenna Gray, August Raskie

OH: Lindsay Ruddins, Ali Frantti, McKenzie Adams, Khalia Lanier, Carli Synder

MB: Brionne Butler, Shelley Stafford

Opp: Tessa Grubbs

Lib: Kendall White, Brittany Witt, Brooke Nuneviller

7FEFD0A7AE5844199DCB229595B39C43.ashx

• Names for the Future:
    OH: McKenzie Adams

I like these names and I wanna watch them playing, but I think McKenzie Adams is kinda old to be considered as USA's future. She is the one who plays in Conegliano, right? or is another player?

• I like these names and I wanna watch them playing, but I think McKenzie Adams is kinda old to be considered as USA's future. She is the one who plays in Conegliano, right? or is another player?

Yea it's her. Maybe I should rephrase as "For the next quad".

Larson and Hill will both be done. Experienced OH's will be valuable. I think she can play a role.

• Yea it's her. Maybe I should rephrase as "For the next quad".

Larson and Hill will both be done. Experienced OH's will be valuable. I think she can play a role.

Yes, she could replace Hill after the OG next year. I also think that this is gonna be the last tournament of Bartsch.

• Are we sure he won't bring Courtney Thompson again for the vibes? :D

MB looks like the most interesting call for Karch. Ogbogu and Washington have been impressive lately but sometimes it seems like Karch doesn't care about club performance. Akinradewo has had a terrific career of course but we don't know what shape she'll be in. Assuming she can get back to something like full fitness then I hope those are the 3 that go to Tokyo. Who do you a) think he'll pick b) want him to pick? Is Foluke a certainty just based on her legendary status?

• Are we sure he won't bring Courtney Thompson again for the vibes? :D

MB looks like the most interesting call for Karch. Ogbogu and Washington have been impressive lately but sometimes it seems like Karch doesn't care about club performance. Akinradewo has had a terrific career of course but we don't know what shape she'll be in. Assuming she can get back to something like full fitness then I hope those are the 3 that go to Tokyo. Who do you a) think he'll pick b) want him to pick? Is Foluke a certainty just based on her legendary status?

CT is coaching under David Hunt (assistant for the NT at Rio, Larson's husband) so I think that's not an option :lol:

Personally, if they're all healthy I'm taking Chi, Foluke, and Adams. Foluke is playing in Japan right now and looks good. Adams vs Washington will be the big debate. Adams isn't 100%. I think the middles (and setters) will be picked from the VNL performance.

I hope one of Carlini/Poulter sets themselves as the clear #1.... cause I would love to bring Hancock (and her serve) but Karch wont.

• I dont know how Kara Bajema is doing but she looks like a great candidate for a Kiraly project. Something about her screams "Kumbaya". Since its going to be a new cycle we will probably see a lot of new faces go in and out rather quickly like the Rolfzens, McMahon and Maccage in 2017.

SWP might have played her way above Madi in the OH depth chart this season. Shes putting herself in a position to at least temporarily take one of the spots that gonna open when the old guards retires...Of course pending on what Plummer and Thompsons future role are going to be for this team. If both stay on the left then it would be a little bit tricky. Foecke...i dont know whats the plan for her or if she will even continue to make roster without playing ball. Not unusual since we've seen JWO, Murphy and Lowe getting the nod while inactive for a whole year.

Im hoping Rhamat would spend more time in the gym this year. Her development has been very frustrating. Didnt see a lot of court time during her first pro season, rehabbing in the first few weeks. Her 2nd season ended early but she was doing really well unfortunately it was with Caserta, a disaster of a club. And Covid is just fucking everything up this year...I really thought its going to be the Inky, Alhassan and Ogbogu show...it still could be but with Washington instead.

• Unpopular opinion that Robinson needs to take one for the team and play lib at olympics. Her attacking is good but not that much better than the other outside hitters and the two existing liberos simply don't cut it. (Alternatively, Larson can take on that job but that means she can't be captain).

Wong is too inexperienced and we've all seen what happened at the World Cup with Courtney.

• Unpopular opinion that Robinson needs to take one for the team and play lib at olympics. Her attacking is good but not that much better than the other outside hitters and the two existing liberos simply don't cut it. (Alternatively, Larson can take on that job but that means she can't be captain).

Wong is too inexperienced and we've all seen what happened at the World Cup with Courtney.

That's actually a very popular opinion amongst us Americans. Her passing is better than JWO/Courtney's and is a better defender than Larson. We've seen Larson step it up offensively vs the "big" teams, while Krob hasn't. Plus Larson is a better blocker.

• I dont know how Kara Bajema is doing but she looks like a great candidate for a Kiraly project. Something about her screams "Kumbaya". Since its going to be a new cycle we will probably see a lot of new faces go in and out rather quickly like the Rolfzens, McMahon and Maccage in 2017.

SWP might have played her way above Madi in the OH depth chart this season. Shes putting herself in a position to at least temporarily take one of the spots that gonna open when the old guards retires...Of course pending on what Plummer and Thompsons future role are going to be for this team. If both stay on the left then it would be a little bit tricky. Foecke...i dont know whats the plan for her or if she will even continue to make roster without playing ball. Not unusual since we've seen JWO, Murphy and Lowe getting the nod while inactive for a whole year.

Im hoping Rhamat would spend more time in the gym this year. Her development has been very frustrating. Didnt see a lot of court time during her first pro season, rehabbing in the first few weeks. Her 2nd season ended early but she was doing really well unfortunately it was with Caserta, a disaster of a club. And Covid is just fucking everything up this year...I really thought its going to be the Inky, Alhassan and Ogbogu show...it still could be but with Washington instead.

Bajema seems so-so in Italy this season.

SWP is definitely moving up the depth chart. I think, if this level of play continues, she moves into the A team right away. Plummer won't ever play on the left as long as JT does.

I don't have much hope for Alhassan... It seems like she's going to be the odd one out with Chi/Washington already established and the ton of MB prospects that the US has (Rettke, Butler, Pittman, Hord, Stivrins, etc)

• That's actually a very popular opinion amongst us Americans. Her passing is better than JWO/Courtney's and is a better defender than Larson. We've seen Larson step it up offensively vs the "big" teams, while Krob hasn't. Plus Larson is a better blocker.

Sorry, I mean unpopular for the players involved.

• Sorry, I mean unpopular for the players involved.

Oh :lol: I think Krob needs to understand that her playing libero is the US's best chance at the podium. We know a Larson-Krob OH duo does not work vs the top teams (its a train wreck) and her passing ability allows the US to be in system and run USA fast way more than anyone else.

• Oh :lol: I think Krob needs to understand that her playing libero is the US's best chance at the podium. We know a Larson-Krob OH duo does not work vs the top teams (its a train wreck) and her passing ability allows the US to be in system and run USA fast way more than anyone else.

Yeah, most of the top teams have a primary scoring player (opposite) and the remaining outside hitters tend to be one offense and one defence-focused. (e.g. Busa/Mihaljovic in Serbia, Bosetti/Sylla in Italy, Parubets and Kosheleva in Russia back when they were in better form). I think Brazil is the only top team that has the two outside hitters rather balanced.

Robinson and Larson just fill in the same role. IMO Robinson should start (she's better at attacking, younger) and Larson should be the sub in case things go wrong.

• Yeah, most of the top teams have a primary scoring player (opposite) and the remaining outside hitters tend to be one offense and one defence-focused. (e.g. Busa/Mihaljovic in Serbia, Bosetti/Sylla in Italy, Parubets and Kosheleva in Russia back when they were in better form). I think Brazil is the only top team that has the two outside hitters rather balanced.

Robinson and Larson just fill in the same role. IMO Robinson should start (she's better at attacking, younger) and Larson should be the sub in case things go wrong.

It's situational for me. I think you ride whoever the hot hand is (if Krob isn't the libero). That's Karch's downfall, is he's too late to make adjustments (not taking Courtney out set 1 vs China) or makes the wrong one (benching Hill vs Bulgaria in IOQT, rather than Larson).

• It's situational for me. I think you ride whoever the hot hand is (if Krob isn't the libero). That's Karch's downfall, is he's too late to make adjustments (not taking Courtney out set 1 vs China) or makes the wrong one (benching Hill vs Bulgaria in IOQT, rather than Larson).

He also took three setters to Rio so nothing he does really surprises me.

IIRC USA was down 1-2 at one point but won 3-2 vs Bulgaria? Were the last two sets close?

• 21 - 25, 25 - 18, 21 - 25, 25 - 20, 15 - 10.

It was a such a messy match.

I don't think that the tournament is as big of a deal as people say it is (after all, there is still the NORCECA tournament). Mostly just for pride.

• I don't think that the tournament is as big of a deal as people say it is (after all, there is still the NORCECA tournament). Mostly just for pride.

which they did lose to the DR that October in the NORCECA continental c'ship with an A team (lost to them in the VNL as well) so I wouldn't say it was meaningless/just for pride.

• which they did lose to the DR that October in the NORCECA continental c'ship with an A team (lost to them in the VNL as well) so I wouldn't say it was meaningless/just for pride.

Oh, I didn't expect that to happen.