Serbia NT 2021

• Nevermind. This issue isn't worth the discussion. Carry on.:win:

• Complex is not necessarily a good thing, seeing as we ourselves are not statisticians. And I would dispute that the stats from each teams are inherently superior to FIVB ones. You could have a shitty statistics department that isn't motivated to do its job properly with low pay, and let's just say I wouldn't be shocked if that's the case with Serbian NT.

This time you're wrong, Bojan Perovic is master in his job. Statistics from OSSRB is for sure more reliable than FIVB ones.

In terms of complexity, this is a standard sheet provided by data project platform which is used in worldwide volleyball for years and i'm sure that everyone who is into volleyball knows how to read it.

• I'm very glad about every Datavolley sheet somebody posts here for FIVB tournaments.

definitely agree! The first things I check at stats are reception and attacking percentage, which are not provided by the primitive stats of FIVB. If a follower bothers to check out a stat sheet he is most likely educated enough to know what to check, so I am in favor of providing a proper stat sheet version.

The only thing I like about the current FIVB stat is they are reporting the fastest server, which is something new to me.

• The only thing I like about the current FIVB stat is they are reporting the fastest server, which is something new to me.

Yeah, that's pretty cool

• That was the performance I feared it would be. Firstly it’s important to say that Brazil did very well but that’s the level you have to play at to win Olympic medals and Serbia were not up to standard. Playing like that I don’t think they can beat whoever they play in the QFs. I don’t know why Milenkovic seems to be untouchable, Blagojevic might not be great but she wouldn’t have done much worse than Bojana today. But I knew the OH position was a mess, the bigger shock to me was S. Popovic. Has she ever played worse for Serbia before?

I am reminded that Serbia have before put in some average displays when qualification is already secured so perhaps this was in some way down to a more relaxed attitude but I can’t pretend I’m not worried. In future, I hope Terzic at least tries the Mihajlovic-Busa duo which has largely been very successful in recent years.

• That was the performance I feared it would be. Firstly it’s important to say that Brazil did very well but that’s the level you have to play at to win Olympic medals and Serbia were not up to standard. Playing like that I don’t think they can beat whoever they play in the QFs. I don’t know why Milenkovic seems to be untouchable, Blagojevic might not be great but she wouldn’t have done much worse than Bojana today. But I knew the OH position was a mess, the bigger shock to me was S. Popovic. Has she ever played worse for Serbia before?

I am reminded that Serbia have before put in some average displays when qualification is already secured so perhaps this was in some way down to a more relaxed attitude but I can’t pretend I’m not worried. In future, I hope Terzic at least tries the Mihajlovic-Busa duo which has largely been very successful in recent years.

Agree about everything but the most about Popovic, she was bad in defense but she used to have the bad game in that aspect even in the past, but what a horrible perforamance in reception. With better reception even the Boskoball could be more precise and middle could take a few more good sets. Horrible Reception and serve were the biggest weakness on the Serbian side, about Brazil all positive, they fight and execute really hard, kudos to all girls.

P.S. I hope that Serbian player will finally learn how to avoid too much block-outs against Brazil, i mean it is true that Brazilian pins use the opposite block really well, but Serbia always have big problem with that. They beat Brazil just when they were a lot better.

• I am slowly taking an indifferent attitude towards the result of Serbia at the Olympic Games, perhaps better said I am keeping my heart from potentially too high expectations LOL.

But now i can't wait for EuroVolley here in Belgrade, i hope that Terzic will give a chance to LAZOVIC, to everyone see if these frequent (it's up to me :lol:) mentions are justified.

• lazovic is only one capable of helping serbia because even maja can make those oh shine

I hope she can keep the level and free injuries cause if not serbia vb gonna be boskovic ball for many years

• I am curious in what line-up Serbia will go to the European Championships:rose:Because either those who play in the Olympic Games will go, or the line-up will be very mixed:/

• I am curious in what line-up Serbia will go to the European Championships:rose:Because either those who play in the Olympic Games will go, or the line-up will be very mixed:/

EuroVolley in the Belgrade with few star retiring (NT, break at least in general,...) after this national team season and you are questioning the line-up. For sure it will be the best one, this 12 from Tokyo + 2 players. I hope that one will be Lazovic and the second (or the first) one supposed to be Stefana, but anyway we will know everything very soon.

• I'm sure none of them are going to pass on the opportunity to play in front of their home crowd again and it would be a perfect farewell for those who are retiring from the NT.

It's just a question who'll be the extra two players. I sure hope Stefana will be there, especially since she missed the ECh '11 in Belgrade. The other one is hopefully Lazović. IMO we don't need the second libero, Blagojević can take over if required.

• EuroVolley in the Belgrade with few star retiring (NT, break at least in general,...) after this national team season and you are questioning the line-up. For sure it will be the best one, this 12 from Tokyo + 2 players. I hope that one will be Lazovic and the second (or the first) one supposed to be Stefana, but anyway we will know everything very soon.

I also hope that Stefana will perform 🤞Lazović he will probably be in the European Championships for sure, but there is not enough time until the European Championships and whether the best players will not be tired after the Olympic Games 🤔

• IMO Serbia didn't choke at all, they just play in accordance with the players at their disposal and their current shape. In the semifinals, they came across a team that was ready for their game, while at the same time key things like service, reception and block failed to keep it at the level needed for a uncertain and intense fight. It is not as if players like Mihajlovic or Rasic, definitely one of the key players in the previous very successful period, had the best club seasons ever, so their performance at these Olympic Games is a big disappointment and surprise.

Mihajlović career at the highest level is pretty much over, she has the problem with the same back injury for years now, in past she managed to heal it to the level of tolerable pain and really contributed to all the successes of women's Serbian volleyball., but the last year everything escalate and she just can't handle it anymore.

Rašić was like a ghost on this tournament, one could have guessed something like that having in mind the last unconvincing seasons at Vakifbank, but there was certainly hope that she would find some extra motive in herself and that she would play her last OG at a recognizable level. Even the first match performance was an additional hint and a strong impulse, but unfortunately until the end of the competition, even when statistically she had a very solid impact, it was obvious that she was struggling.

If, despite the subjectively caused hope, for Rasic and Mihajlovic could have guessed that they would play like this (in Mihajlovic's case, not play), someone who surprised me with really mediocre parties was Silvija Popović. She was really under her level, which was never magical and game changing, but she was like ALWAYS maybe even the most stabile player with very important and hard role due to well known Serbian 2-receiving system. At this tournament she even had "easier" job, at least supposed to be like that, in Mihajlovic absence and with 3, more or less, but good receivers next to her, but she was really shaky on reception and with just some flashes in defense but not continuously.

Bošković, the continuity and level at which she has been playing for years now is truly the path to the greatest ever.

Ognjenovic wasn't magical but tbh it is a big question does she could done more? at the same time i have impression that she could, but she has raised the bar with her magic parties in previous years so high that expectations from her are sometimes perhaps too high. What I missed most about Maja is her security and inspiration. It seemed as if she was really insecure at times, what she should do, so out of fear she used to really and unjustifiably exaggerate with setting to Bošković. It seems to me that the pressure, of realizing what she is capable to do and facing the fact that others are now aware of that also and expecting something magical from her, was too big.

The player with the most positive impression in relation to expectations for me was Mina Popović. She was really good and stable. Really good serve (not to much aces, but big service runs in almost every match), really high jump with nice attack cordination and timing in combination with solid blocking. Curious to see her in Fenerbahce.

Buša, Milenković, Blagojević, they did not fail, they are just, let's call it in the way we want, mediocre, average or not good enough players to handle the OH diagonal for teams with ambitions and expectations like Serbia has. I mean in any combination, there will be some "black hole". Buša - Milenković is IMO the best duo, but both have some issues, Buša when have a good day, could be really useful in every aspect, but her bad days are really bad, LOL. Milenković is maybe the player with less oscilation than Buša, she pretty much always have nice reception, nice serve, indeed really god block, good defense skills, but nothing superior and when we add her really mediocre attacking skills :gone:. Blagojevic on this level in this team is just useful as second libero, and she could be good in that role indeed, i hope that Terzic will use her as libero on EuroVolley, because Silvija really need help.

Aleksić, Bjelica and Mirković didn't play much, where Aleksic could certainly get a few more chances, maybe even as a replacement for Rasic.

I don't think that not playing VNL was an issue, the professional staff of Serbia knows how to prepare the players in the best possible way even without games. They have proven it many times in the past, the only objection goes to the decision not Lazovic not to be in 12. Terzic wasn't brave enough simply to write off any of these 4 and include IMO our best OH ATM.

Even last year supposed to be and obviously this year will be the end of this golden generation, some girls will continue to fight hard for the Serbian women's volleyball team, but major of them will retire after the EuroVolley (at least from the NT). It was nice journey, with a lot of great success and i wouldn't be mad if they finish with Olympic bronze. I mean for some weak and not being titan team in volleyball it is big big success.

• Bogdan I totally agree with your assessment.

As great as Serbia has played since 2015 or so, it was clear that the decline of 1 or 2 key players could have a drastic impact on the team because they simply don’t have that quality backups that other top NTs have and so it proved to be the case. Still, an Olympic bronze medal would be a pretty great achievement for a team in decline, I hope they can take it. And then on to EuroVolley: it will be sad to see some of these players play for the NT for the last time, but a gold medal at home would be an ideal way for them to go out. Make it happen, girls! :super:

• I'm extremely displeased with the way they played against Brazil and USA, i.e. the teams that are actually good. I wasn't expecting amazing things before the tournament and I would have been perfectly satisfied with the bronze, but frankly, now I don't even care if they win it because what they showed in this competition was far below top level.

It's time for Terzić to go. He's done phenomenal things and the miracle of Serbian women's volleyball is something that can never be replicated (or explained, really), but it's clear he no longer has it. The entire preparation for these Olympics has been a series of blunders. WHY take an obviously unfit player, no matter what her name and reputatop is? Mihajlović should have never been there. If you're not ready to play in the Olympic semifnal, what's your point of being there. He might have as well brought Nikolić out of retirement for another Olympic ride. OTOH, leaving Lazović at home is simply inexplicable and it makes me question his motives. When have we ever played well without an offensive OH?

The decision to skip the VNL is also questionable. I wasn't sure what to make of it but now I believe they should have given it a go. No amount of training can replace actually matches and it might have served to sharpen them up and make some things more clear, for example, find the OH duo that actually works.

But the worst thing is that even after all this time and all the success they've had, he never managed to instill the real belief into his team that they really ARE that good. No matter what they say, I always feel they approach every big match like it's still 2006 and they're the underdogs. That's not how a team that the current World champion should think.

Also, Rašić should have been honest with herself first and foremost and leave her place to someone who's actually willing to play, if she can't find it in herself any longer.

They might well still win the bronze, but if it happens, they should all hand their medals out to Tijana Bošković. And she deserved better.