China NT 2021

• With the league finishing yesterday, it's time to look forwards towards 2021. The main event is the Olympics this year and the question is who will go to Tokyo to defend our gold medal.

My suggestions/predictions: (bold being gold medalists from Rio, and likely starters)

OH: Zhu Ting, Zhang Changning, Li Yingying, and Xu Ruoya

MB: Yuan Xinyue, Yan Ni, Wang Yuanyuan

OPP: Gong Xiangyu, Liu Yanhan

S: Ding Xia, Diao Linyu

L: Wang Mengjie

Jiangsu's performance in the finals really impressed me, and I think that Diao and Xu all deserve their spot in the NT training, and given the way their performance went, should go to Tokyo. Wang Yizhu was terrible against top teams so Liu Yanhan should go, and Wang Yuanyuan is the clear 3rd MB in the country now.

Compared with last cycle, I think our roster has improved overall. The six Olympians who will start have obviously improved their reception (Zhu) attacking (Zhang and Gong) blocking (Yuan) and stability in setting (Ding). Only concern is Yan Ni's age, but IMO she has the same consistent form as she did in 2016, 18, and 19 where she picked up two best middles. With the Olympic matches being played every other day, physical condition isn't as big of an issue.

For our subs, Li and Xu are clearly better than Liu and Hui in both attack and defence, but it will be unfortunate to miss LIu's topspin serve (but then, we learned that Zhu Ting didn't forget her topspin serve, which she has only previously tried in one of Vakifbank - Eczasibasi games in the Turkish League). Wang compared to Xu Yunli is a bit inexperienced, but is healthier and serves better. Liu would be better than Yang Fangxu for sure, since the latter got injured after the 2nd match with Italy. And it would be good to have a backup setter who can actually run (nothing against Wei, really liked her as a setter but she had knee problems). I'm not so sure about the Libero position though. Lin Li was very stable throughout Rio and it's unclear if Wang Mengjie is up to the task, although she was the main libero for 2015 WC, 2018 WCh, and 2019 WC and did satisfactory. Apparently this is definitely Lang Ping's swansong, and she won't be coaching for the 2022 WCh. However, I am guessing that she will still play a role, since these starters are once in a generation in terms of both talent and physicality and I can't imagine she doesn't have secret desires to win the only major title she didn't win as a coach and also end China's 36 years of no gold medal at the WCh.

Something tells me if we have to make major substitutions, we are not very likely to win much. The starting players are so much stronger compared to their substitutes.

The other question is who do we send to VNL if it runs. The focus should be developing players for the 2024 Paris games. Off the top of my head:

OH: Li Yingying, Wu Mengjie, Chen Boya, Li Yao (if she ever learns reception)

MB: Wang Yuanyuan, Gao Yi, Zhang Qian, Yang Hanyu, Zhang Yu, Guo Huizhen, Mao Junyi

S: Mei Xiaohan, Sun Haiping, Yu Jiarui

OP: Du Qingqing, Wang Yizhu, Chen Peiyan

L: Ni Feifan (don't need a second one with the way she's been playing, IMO she's already ready for Olympics but Wang Mengjie has the experience and conventionally only one is brought. If two liberos are taken to Tokyo, then Xu Ruoya stays home but either way Ni Feifan will have to play VNL)

With these players being born in the 96-02 range, they will be 22-28 during the games, for peak physical condition. As is usual for Chinese women's NTs, OH and OP are interchangable.

• Also will update this thread with past and current NT members being featured in the Roster 100. I'm hoping for six or seven nominees but I know at least one will be there ;)

• sorry but how you pick a mb that has necer show any special in NT

Maybr she could be good at league but in NT huan,gao yi and other have being better than her

• Xue Yizhi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gao Yi, PERIOD! Gao is as useless as tits on a bull.

Xue Yizhi is an employee of Beijing Automobile Company, the sponsor of Beijing's team. Its unclear if she will even be interested.

• OH: With Liu Xiaotong's current state, Xu Ruoya is the next veteran in my mind they could test at VNL though China is going to miss her jump serves if she cannot come into form. Li Yao is in the same boat as Liu Yanhan, weak receiving outside hitter turned opposite. Like Liu she'll be on the outside looking in if she can't learn to receive. If Chen Boya can learn to receive at either position (OH/OPP) she would be a good pick up for the NT. Seems like she has more potential than Wang Yizhu. I still like her, but just hope she can be more relaxed and not in her head all the time.

MB: My worry about Zhang Qian and Zhang Yu is that despite they have height, they are slow (slower than Yuan and she's taller lol) and also have awkward coordination. Unless they can read setters well and have quick reactions, I don't see them staying in the NT long. Xue Yizhi looked better as a MB than OPP. More mobile than the other middles and fast arm swing, hopefully she's interested in the NT. For someone who never started until this season Guo Huizhen had some bright moments. She should return to Guangdong next season instead of being on the bench for club.

S: I had high hopes for Mei Xiaohan after last season, but this season was hard for her. Shandong's reception wasn't stable and there was a few times I could see her frustration because of that. She's still worth investing in for the future. Hard to say if Sun Haiping is even on the NT's radar since she barely plays being backup to Ding Xia. I would add Xu Xiaoting from Shanghai as another player to train.

OPP: It was unfortunate Chen Peiyan was injured and had to leave this season. After her one and only game she started this season I wanted to see more of her with Robinson/Rabadzhieva instead of Li Yao. She has the athleticism to compete at a higher level, but just needs more experience.

L: Ni Feifan was fun to watch! You can see growth compared to her level last year. I don't think there was any other libero that caught my eye this season other than her.

• This means China wont lose their core players who won Gold in Rio. They are still the favorites. It would be fun to watch China vs Italy in the Olympics though :box:

In an interview, Lang Ping said that these players were originally developed for the 2020 cycle.

• Who from Rio will be not in the roster for Tokyo?

• That was a nice trip down memory lane :rose:

• Who from Rio will be not in the roster for Tokyo?

The ones mentioned above plus libero Lin Li who seemed to lost her touch. Wang Mengjie is currently in better.

Lin might also lose her spot on the NT next cycle as Ni Feifan (Jiangsu) gets better.

• The ones mentioned above plus libero Lin Li who seemed to lost her touch. Wang Mengjie is currently in better.

Lin might also lose her spot on the NT next cycle as Ni Feifan (Jiangsu) gets better.

Ni Feifan is amazing, but IIRC she doesn't have as much experience with receiving topspin serves (lack of international experience) so it's unlikely she will go to Tokyo this cycle. Next cycle, probably Wang Mengjie and Ni Feifan with the latter going to Paris (although Wang would still only be 29 in 2024)

• https://dy.163.com/article/FTVU0BOC0529EJSU.html

According to the message, Yan Ni will be retired after 2021 Chinese National Games at her age of 34.

(She isn't the oldest NT member. As the former main OP, Zhang Lei will be 36 next year and still active now)

In fact, if there are no other “problems”, Yan Ni might have been retired in 2013 (after National Games).

However, we all knew the things in the "future". (perhaps Chinglish, sorry)

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• Hope she can make it to 2022. It's only one more year...

• I'll miss the Great Wall :heart:

• Here is my own pick for the Olympic squad, based on the recent forms of players...it differs slightly from the above list and there are only 8 players at the moment. I am not convinced the others are good enough currently, but I have added a list of potentials for each position. OHs can double up as OPPs, if required.

OH: (3 players) Zhu Ting, Zhang CN, Li YY

Others: Xu RY, Chen BY, Wang YZ, Wu Meng Jie

Note: Although, Xu Ruoya has improved ....she used to just slam the ball straight into the blockers, I have doubts about her consistency. In the CVL round of 6, against Guangdong, she had to be replaced by Wu Han. As for Wu Mengjie, I have only seen one or two videos of her playing and It was impressive.

OPP: (1 player) Gong XY

Others: Liu YH, Du QQ, Chen PY, Sun Xiaoxuan

Note: Sun XX is a young Liaoning player who can hit the ball very hard.

MB: (2 players) Yan Ni, Yuan XY

Others: Wang YY, Yang HY, Guo H Z, Zeng YX

Note: Yan Ni will be included in the squad because it is Lang Ping’s style to bring a few veterans for important tournaments. Zhang Yu, Zhang Qian, Gao Yi and a few other tall MBs, are not agile enough, and besides Gaoyi has no strength 😐

S: (1 player) Ding Xia

Others: Mei XH, Diao LY, Yao D

Note: Mei is an attacking setter and a good blocker as well. I feel she would make a reliable backup setter.

L: (1 player) Wang Mengjie

Others: Nee FF

Note: Nee, with her fine performance in the CVL should be given an opportunity.

There are other capable wing spikers like Sun Jie (Shandong) and Zhong Hui (Shanghai) but the national team selectors probably won’t consider them because they are shorter than 185cm. Ironically, if Lang Ping at 184cm, is playing today she wouldn’t be selected also 😐