China NT 2021

• This is why I don't understand that the lineup is worse now than 5 years ago.

I am missing my favorite Chinese player Xu Yunli.

China lost 4 main players due to career ending injuries/illness, Xu Yunli, Wei Qiuyue, Hui Ruoqi, and Yang Fangxu.

• China lost 4 main players due to career ending injuries/illness, Xu Yunli, Wei Qiuyue, Hui Ruoqi, and Yang Fangxu.

all four are replaced well and even upgraded. the real problem is backups. If something happens to any of the starters except Li YY, there will be a big drop in the level of the team.

By the way, every team has one defensive OH in their rosters to replace the libero in the case of injury. If I were in Ping's shoes, I would definitely bring two liberos either instead of second Opp and bring an OH that can also play as Opp. None of Zhu, Li and Zhang can play as libero in the case of emergency

• all four are replaced well and even upgraded. the real problem is backups. If something happens to any of the starters except Li YY, there will be a big drop in the level of the team.

By the way, every team has one defensive OH in their rosters to replace the libero in the case of injury. If I were in Ping's shoes, I would definitely bring two liberos either instead of second Opp and bring an OH that can also play as Opp. None of Zhu, Li and Zhang can play as libero in the case of emergency

All of them are better than the subs China has right now though so it's a bad trade off in the long run, but there's nothing that can be done with career ending injuries. Since none of the backup hitters are playing well so far, might not be a bad idea to bring another libero in case of an injury. Gong can be the libero replacement but it will downgrade the OP position even though Zhang/Li can play that role. Gong fits the all rounder OP position in Lang Ping's system.

• poor girl, having to play OH/OPP/S/L ... only role missing is the middle blocker :D

It fits the all rounder position 100%.

• According to the "we love volleyball" Wechat public account, the doctor suggested Lang Ping stay in her hotel due to feeling unwell but she came to the venue to support the players.

• I'm trying to think of other middles with potential from the league, but other than Xue Yizhi I can't think of anyone else.

The middles are either tall, but uncoordinated or short and would be ineffective on the international stage.

• According to the "we love volleyball" Wechat public account, the doctor suggested Lang Ping stay in her hotel due to feeling unwell but she came to the venue to support the players.

I hope it's nothing serious/covid related.

She's probably mentally and physically drained with this group, I would be too!

• poor girl, having to play OH/OPP/S/L ... only role missing is the middle blocker :D

Watching the current line-up in Rimini, I know that among others I miss Gong, she may not be that shiny as Zhu, Yan, Yuan, Li, Ding, and as an OP not as great as some big names in other teams, but in the Chinese team her role is important for the overall equilibrium. Her presence may not be that apparent but her absence is clearly leaving some hole to the team.

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• Nice! Looking forward to seeing A team against USA and Russia. I wished they could have played against Brasil later as well