China NT 2021

• I'm not 'keeping';) many matches from this VNL that I might want to look at again, but besides Japan and Turkey of course, most of the ones I am are China. I'm enjoying them. Maybe it's because I most enjoy watching players on the up-and-coming more than all the 'stars'. I'm getting attached to the Energizer Bunny and this bulked up Gao Yi :rose:

• I'm not 'keeping';) many matches from this VNL that I might want to look at again, but besides Japan and Turkey of course, most of the ones I am are China. I'm enjoying them. Maybe it's because I most enjoy watching players on the up-and-coming more than all the 'stars'. I'm getting attached to the Energizer Bunny and this bulked up Gao Yi :rose:

these players are older than the stars... Duan Fang (the jumpy girl) is the same age as Zhu Ting (b. 94). I predict that after Jenny retires there will be massive new personnel in/old personnel out, similar to when she started in 2013.

LIu XT and Liu YH are both older (b. 91, 93)

Li Yao is not that young either (b. 95)

Neither are the setters (b. 92 and 94)

the middles are young I guess.

the sub Lin Li (b. 92) is also older than Wang Mengjie (b. 95)

for context, Ding Xia and Yan NI are the older ones (b. 90/87) but YXY, ZCN, GXY, LYY are all young (b. 96, 95, 97, 00)

Gao Yi (b. 98) might not make it but I'm hoping she would be starting Paris quad (triad). At least she left Bayi and went to Shanghai...

• some funny pictures/memes from weibo:

1. "Who bullied our baby?" (Zhang Changning's nickname is "baby")

2. "Saving Private Baby"

3. "The Avengers"

• By the way, we are likely to see the roster on Jun 9 (since 6 players must leave, the 12 for Olympics will most likely be in the 13 remaining):

https://www.fivb.com/en/about/…fe-in-the-bubble?id=93488

source: https://www.fivb.com/en/about/…fe-in-the-bubble?id=93488 -> VNL 2021 Specific Competition Regulations

• https://en.volleyballworld.com…l-week-3-matches-to-watch

I wonder who writes these things... I'd be happy if the B team can get a set off of Brazil

For the commentators, in case of the Chinese team, they just take the nominal value that this team is representing China, that's all. Perhaps the author also behaves as such. But this VNL is not the team's target, so thing becomes difficult. Hard to expect any win with mixed team. So just forget it, for exercise only. Perhaps the main line-up will do better next week :D:D But the eyes are surely at Tokyo OG, not this one!

watching the current team play has been really stressful !

Ha ha ha! It's so true. But it's a fact, so must live with that, and keep remembering the eyes are not here but the OG :P

I watch and expect none, even later with main line-up bcoz this is "VNL"! :D VNL for China is ever special!!

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

• For the commentators, in case of the Chinese team, they just take the nominal value that this team is representing China, that's all. Perhaps the author also behaves as such. But this VNL is not the team's target, so thing becomes difficult. Hard to expect any win with mixed team. So just forget it, for exercise only. Perhaps the main line-up will do better next week :D:D But the eyes are surely at Tokyo OG, not this one!

Ha ha ha! It's so true. But it's a fact, so must live with that, and keep remembering the eyes are not here but the OG :P

I watch and expect none, even later with main line-up bcoz this is "VNL"! :D VNL for China is ever special!!

:wavy:..... not having heard from you for a few days, I was worried you might’ve suffered a nervous breakdown watching the China B team play.....:D

samsara

• Hong Kong netizens are furious about the decision to sub out Gaoyi in yesterday’s match against Serbia. Many felt that she is a better MB compared to Yang Hanyu. One blogger from “China Volleyball Fan Club of Hong Kong 中國排球香港球迷聯盟” wrote....”China Volleyball owes the fans an explanation.......”

Source:中國排球香港球迷聯盟Facebook

• There is a lot of money at stake on VNL. The prize money is nothing to sneeze at. Perhaps in democratic countries you get to keep the money less taxes and no cut / percentage of the prize money to the federation.

It's not much to begin with compared to professional contracts. 1 million / 25 staff members leaves you with 40k. And that's before any federation /taxes.

• Hong Kong netizens are furious about the decision to sub out Gaoyi in yesterday’s match against Serbia. Many felt that she is a better MB compared to Yang Hanyu. One blogger from “China Volleyball Fan Club of Hong Kong 中國排球香港球迷聯盟” wrote....”China Volleyball owes the fans an explanation.......”

Source:中國排球香港球迷聯盟Facebook

Even the official weibo was confused lol

• well, that hold true if one is a top player. Professional contracts might be 150 K to 200 k annual salary for over average players. 40k for 6 weeks is really good.

Also don't forget it's the coach/federation that decides how seriously to take the event. When the players are on court, the desire to win trumps all else.