China NT 2021

• They can dream on about taking even one set off of Italy.

I don't think that it is just Zhu Ting's wrist which is the cause of all of this...something is off about the entire team...they all look sluggish and not confident in themselves at all.

I think the starting six all have some sort of injuries except Zhu Ting’s injury is the most serious. They over trained and got injured. they are physically burnout as well as physically broken. Hope the Chinese volleyball federation/ bigwigs learn some lessons I.e. too much of something is not always good.

• I think the starting six all have some sort of injuries except Zhu Ting’s injury is the most serious. They over trained and got injured. they are physically burnout as well as physically broken. Hope the Chinese volleyball federation/ bigwigs learn some lessons I.e. too much of something is not always good.

I think the starting six all have some sort of injuries except Zhu Ting’s injury is the most serious. They over trained and got injured. they are physically burnout as well as physically broken. Hope the Chinese volleyball federation/ bigwigs learn some lessons I.e. too much of something is not always good.

they just dont look like a team who wants to make it to the QF atm let alone the gold,period

• If China can't defeat Russia they don't have any business in QF... Even China being unrecognizable, it's Busato's Russia, it will be China against a 17yrs old

Oh no :sos:

• Feeling terrible for the team, they worked so hard and I really think at the end of the day they just can't get it together with all the injuries. I won't go into why they happened/who's responsible, but just purely emotionally they must be feeling horrible especially with women's volleyball being such a huge thing in China.

• My worst fear happened as injuries strucked at the wrong time for Zhu and Yan Ni. It's like Liu Xiang all over again. Pretty much the whole team lost their winning mentality after the losses. Lang Ping should have started Li and Zhang since the start of the tournament but I think Zhu still wanted to play. I'm just praying for Zhu's health now.

• Btw.

Spike percentage and efficiency

VNL:

Zhang Changning 45,4% 33,0%
    Li Yingying 60,8% 51,5%
    Gong Xiangyu 48,9% 36,8%
    Zhu Ting 54,3% 51,1%
    Yuan Xinyue 51,3% 48,8%
    Yan Ni 48,9% 42,2%

OG:

2 Zhu Ting 35,4% 18,8%
    12 Li Yingying 40,5% 20,2%
    9 Zhang Changning 40,0% 10,9%
    1 Yuan Xinyue 42,9% 33,3%
    6 Gong Xiangyu 30,6% 10,2%
    17 Yan Ni 37,5% 31,3%
    7 Wang Yuanyuan 40,0% 20,0%
    19 Liu Yanhan 33,3% -16,7%
    11 Yao Di 50,0% 50,0%
    16 Ding Xia 0,0% -33,3%
    18 Wang Mengjie
    10 Liu Xiaotong

I hope Lang Ping will have balls to admit that she messed things up badly, it's not good to cover your failures by injuries of the players, especially if you may be the one responsible for them.

• What do you think is the interim solution for this?

Don't overtrain and prepare your players well the next time, I guess.

Obviously some lineup changes are possible, as in every team after Olympics, but I just don't think it is fair to criticize any player after this tournament, even setter or libero, considering how badly they were prepared as a team in general. I feel sorry for them, and I genuinely mean it, you wait 5 years for a tournament and you underperform in an awful way because someone else screwed up.

• What do you think is the interim solution for this?

A different starting line up or change in positions etc? Chinas bench is deep compared to other teams

If I were in charge: Don't play Zhu or Yan. Let the younger players get experience so WYY, LYY can fill in for them, and WYY did decently today against Russia.

I read somewhere on the Chinese internet that for the last two matches Lang Ping will talk to the team doctors and let the healthier players start on court for the next two matches, meaning probably no Zhu? I'll link the post when I find it again.

• Don't overtrain and prepare your players well the next time, I guess.

Obviously some lineup changes are possible, as in every team after Olympics, but I just don't think it is fair to criticize any player after this tournament, even setter or libero, considering how badly they were prepared as a team in general. I feel sorry for them, and I genuinely mean it, you wait 5 years for a tournament and you underperform in an awful way because someone else screwed up.

Training extra hard is good, if you give the body also the rest IT NEEDS to repair the broken muscle tissue to become stronger, overworking during this period is what causes bad injuries. It's basic sports science actually. There is overworking and there is abusing the body. Starting abruptly after long breaks are generally bad as well for pro-athletes, it has to be more gradual.

• I agree with you guys @ Zhu being overplayed while injured, but may I offer a different perspective? While I was freelancing for my uni during some interstate tournaments, there was one instance where I was the (unexperienced, I admit) physio for the handball team and while there the best player among the girls was feeling a lot of pain in her knee during a match, literally on the verge of tears. I turned around to the coach and said "dude, take her out, she's not gonna be able to push through" and the guy shrugged me off and said they couldn't put their best player aside. She managed to finish the tournament on court and that kinda worked as a lesson to me in a way that if this sort of things happen in virtually meaningless, smaller matches like this, I bet both coaches and injured players are willing to push through the pain in order to play and achieve good results during an Olympics tournament. This could be the case with Lang Ping and Zhu, so I wouldn't judge them too harshly.