China NT 2021

• Looking at how much they put the effort for OG and reap the result like this, i wont be surprised if Yan Ni will go straight to the retirement. I guess it has been mentioned before here, that this preparation for OG and pandemic already fucked up the scouting plan for CNT. I hope after this, Zhu can take rest fully, and more youth will be invited to the NT training and also international tournament. I think some of the players already in stagnant of their career and showing declining performance, they should let them go. Just see how much Turk getting better each year by investing a lot to the youth.

And I hope they'll start sending the player outside of China. It will give a lot of perspective and more of the players will realize that there's other conditioning or training method beside this "harsh and overworked" training that they had. ZT alone will never enough to change how the current conditioning or training method. But, if they still keeping this, I'm afraid the cycle will be repeated again. Overworked athlete will be prone-injury athlete, and say goodbye to a long and healthy volleyball career.

• saishuu What does your background knowledge on wrist injuries say about Zhu's condition ? Is it a broken bone, tendons, or ligament tear? I feel like it's not something you often see with volleyball players where its usually ankle, knee, or shoulder related problems. Maybe the way she contacts the ball made the wrist more sensitive over time?

When the Olympics was postponed back in 2020, the CVA should've used this time to let Zhu get surgery if needed and let her just rest and recover. The bubble season was literally a month long, Zhu didn't need to play in that. The 2019 WCCH showed that the wrist was damaged badly, sure she came back to win CVL the following months (which could've been Zhu's case as pushing through the pain), but that should've been a wake up call for them.

• Lang Ping's scapegoating this baaad... I wasn't expecting that from her

Sigh, I'm not surprised given some of her decisions. I've lost a lot of respect for her in recent years, but maybe things will change when the truth comes out (if it ever gets out).

Right now, with the available information, it looks like she trained her best player to injury and then blamed the loss on her injury.

Even with Zhu Ting not playing, these results are inexplicable.

• Is there a translated version of this?

title: "Lang Ping said I didn't expect Zhu's injury to be this serious"

text: "CNT lost a disappointing match 2-3 to ROC, making it 3 consecutive defeats from the start of the competition. After the match, LP said that ZT's injury is serious, OOS is difficult, and is scared to put her hands up in blocking (emphasis mine). <The most unexpected thing is that her injury is this serious, we always go the conservative treatment (i.e. no surgery), but once she plays it's not working>. LP said the next two matches will field healthy players. <we will talk to the doctor and discuss with ZT herself (emphasis mine), maybe let the healthy players play>"

• saishuu What does your background knowledge on wrist injuries say about Zhu's condition ? Is it a broken bone, tendons, or ligament tear? I feel like it's not something you often see with volleyball players where its usually ankle, knee, or shoulder related problems. Maybe the way she contacts the ball made the wrist more sensitive over time?

I cannot really say without knowing more to be honest. I'm also not good with wrist injuries at all, it's probably the one part of the body I know less about lol But judging very blindly from what I've seen these last couple of years, it could be a degenerative injury, like osteoarthritis, or another type of chronic condition caused by overloading due to playing constantly. LIke you said, I think it might have to do with how she hits the ball -- perhaps she flexes her wrist too much while also loading it excessively with strength? I don't know, it's odd. You're right when you say shoulder, knee and ankle are the most prevalent injuries in volleyball, so when someone has a left-field injury like this is weird. I do hope she's getting proper treatment over there in China, though.

• I cannot really say without knowing more to be honest. I'm also not good with wrist injuries at all, it's probably the one part of the body I know less about lol But judging very blindly from what I've seen these last couple of years, it could be a degenerative injury, like osteoarthritis, or another type of chronic condition caused by overloading due to playing constantly. LIke you said, I think it might have to do with how she hits the ball -- perhaps she flexes her wrist too much while also loading it excessively with strength? I don't know, it's odd. You're right when you say shoulder, knee and ankle are the most prevalent injuries in volleyball, so when someone has a left-field injury like this is weird. I do hope she's getting proper treatment over there in China, though.

With WCH next year, I doubt she'll get proper treatment in China. They'll probably do a quick surgery or some sort so that she can play right away again. :wall:

• And I hope they'll start sending the player outside of China. It will give a lot of perspective and more of the players will realize that there's other conditioning or training method beside this "harsh and overworked" training that they had. ZT alone will never enough to change how the current conditioning or training method. But, if they still keeping this, I'm afraid the cycle will be repeated again. Overworked athlete will be prone-injury athlete, and say goodbye to a long and healthy volleyball career.

I totally agree but unlikely this will happen.

Imagine you play the whole club career with the same group of people, facing same group of players - it's very hard to improve and learn from others.

If you play overseas, you could be playing with a different group of people and facing different teams/opponents EVERY YEAR. This allows improvement to adaption to new environment and train you to analyze the game better BY YOURSELF.

IMO the chinese players (maybe except ZT) are too robotic and play too systematically. They memorize what other teams do and what they do in each rotation. Of course it's good to have done some homework, but they lack the ability to think and make immediate judgement on court. I think that's also why players like ZCN and GXY have low efficiency against top teams - like everyone knows how and where they're going to hit.

JLP literally said after the game vs. USA, that they have not played against Jordan Thompson and that's why they couldn't stop her. Like come on, REALLY?

• title: "Lang Ping said I didn't expect Zhu's injury to be this serious"

text: "CNT lost a disappointing match 2-3 to ROC, making it 3 consecutive defeats from the start of the competition. After the match, LP said that ZT's injury is serious, OOS is difficult, and is scared to put her hands up in blocking (emphasis mine). <The most unexpected thing is that her injury is this serious, we always go the conservative treatment (i.e. no surgery), but once she plays it's not working>. LP said the next two matches will field healthy players. <we will talk to the doctor and discuss with ZT herself (emphasis mine), maybe let the healthy players play>"

come on JLP! Are you kidding me? You are with your players for months 24/7 in training facilities and dormitories. You had trainers and doctor as well as assistant coaches there with you and the players. You train, watch and instruct them what to do. Had you been sleeping? Have ZT ( wrist injury) taken care by good doctor/ surgeon and therapist. This the least you can do for her. I am sure ZT does whatever you say to her and no objections / complaint. This injury has been aggravated because of your lack of concern of her well being.

• A healthy Zhu Ting made Lang Ping the coach she is. Without a normal Zhu Ting Lang Ping would lose to Thailand/Korea/Japan and finish 4th at Asian Championships.

• A healthy Zhu Ting made Lang Ping the coach she is. Without a normal Zhu Ting Lang Ping would lose to Thailand/Korea/Japan and finish 4th at Asian Championships.

Nah. Lang Ping has coached teams to Olympics finals before. It's just bad timing that the injuries starting to take effect. China should still win some games but they lost their confidence after the losses because they didnt have any challenges for a while. Fans are just finding a scapegoat for this mental breakdown of the players.

• With WCH next year, I doubt she'll get proper treatment in China. They'll probably do a quick surgery or some sort so that she can play right away again. :wall:

WCH arent until september 2022 tho right? Thats more than a year

If they let her rest for like 7-8 months and start training later i think she'll do good (thats if this injury doesnt end her career and if she doesnt play in any leaague for the upcoming season)

• WCH arent until september 2022 tho right? Thats more than a year

If they let her rest for like 7-8 months and start training later i think she'll do good (thats if this injury doesnt end her career and if she doesnt play in any leaague for the upcoming season)

That's "if" they let her rest.

The roster still needs some tweaking imo.

• That's "if" they let her rest.

The roster still needs some tweaking imo.

They just want to kill her if they dont at that point

Yeah I agree with you, they should train new talents and stop focusing on the old ones

Smth really exciting about this upcoming generation tho, the MBs are looking fresh and strong

The OH not so much except for LYY (nobody will ever replace zhu tbh), they need to find an OPP as strong as Egonu