China NT 2021

• I hope ZCN stays in the team too! Like her a lot. As is customary for Chinese NT players they usually announce retirements after National Games which runs from Sept 19-26. We will probably find out then about ZCN.

Teams taking part this round are (I've listed Tokyo Olympians in the teams)

Jiangsu (Zhang Changning, Gong Xiangyu)

Liaoning (Yan Ni, Ding Xia, Liu Yanhan)

Henan (Zhu Ting - hoping she won't play!)

Tianjin (Yao Di, Li Yingying, Wang Yuanyuan, Yuan Xinyue)

Shandong (Wang Mengjie)

Zhejiang

Shanghai

Guangdong

• Yan Ni can't really be replaced but at the moment it's looking like Wang Yuanyuan who sort of exceeded expectations in the fans eyes. And maybe Ni Feifan can challenge Wang Mengjie for the libero spot.

Ni Feifan should really replace Want, she might be the worse Chinese libero I've seen in last decade

• Will the National Games of China be streamed online?

Maybe it could be also streamed in Migu.

Migu bought the copyright of Chinese League 19/20 and 20/21.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• Apparently Ding Xia said she would like to stay with the NT to compete in Paris 2024 and make up for her poor performance in Tokyo.

Yang Hao (Gold and Bronze medalist in Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008 ) had an interview on television and gave her opinion that Ding Xia is no longer young and that her physical conditions may not be able to support the NT in the future, implying that she should give way to the next generation of setters.

I understand where she is coming from. Ding Xia at her best is an amazingly creative and underrated setter, but if her injuries are indeed catching up to her then the NT should start investing in younger setters. The last thing they want is a repeat performance of Tokyo in Paris 2024.

• I understand where she is coming from. Ding Xia at her best is an amazingly creative and underrated setter, but if her injuries are indeed catching up to her then the NT should start investing in younger setters. The last thing they want is a repeat performance of Tokyo in Paris 2024.

Yeah, a lot of Ding Xia's advantage comes from her jumpiness and physicality.

• If there is one thing we learned in the Olympics, it is that age does not define your performance. If you are healthy and can play at a high level, then you deserve a chance. We should not rule out Ding Xia just yet. There are still 3 years before Paris. She would only be 34 by then.

• If there is one thing we learned in the Olympics, it is that age does not define your performance. If you are healthy and can play at a high level, then you deserve a chance. We should not rule out Ding Xia just yet. There are still 3 years before Paris. She would only be 34 by then.

Although that may be true, we're talking about the Chinese NT here where a players health isn't taken as seriously. How many Chinese players that continued to play for the NT over 30 haven't had any serious/recurring injuries? Not many... :whistle:

If Ding Xia can regroup and find her old form back then I wouldn't mind having her around, but if she can't then she should be on the back burner next cycle. The focus should then be on others moving forward.

• I would introduce a next-gen setter regardless of if DX plays well or not and use both of them. Kinda like Naz and Cansu, Cansu took the lead this Olympics and overall they subbed well for each other throughout the entire cycle.

I think this could work for China as well for the next cycle. The next-gen should take the lead with some starters in VNL like tournaments if it happens.

Definitely sometimes veterans as much as they can be known as legends can in fact hinder the development of a next generation

• As long as everyone is healthy, China will be fine. China never had any consistent setters during Zhu era.

• Chinese setters: best I can do is an injured Wei Qiuyue

It's a sad reality when Wei Qiuque, with two injured knees, was the most consistent setter.

• Although that may be true, we're talking about the Chinese NT here where a players health isn't taken as seriously. How many Chinese players that continued to play for the NT over 30 haven't had any serious/recurring injuries? Not many... :whistle:

If Ding Xia can regroup and find her old form back then I wouldn't mind having her around, but if she can't then she should be on the back burner next cycle. The focus should then be on others moving forward.

LOL Ding Xia has come in first for physical fitness tests in the National Team as recently as last year. She ran faster than Middle Blockers 6 years her junior. I think her poor performance stems more from the mental rather than physical. She tends to not perform as well when she's anxious.