Russia NT 2021

• about busato i don't understand why he call tine out when rival is just 2 points ahead

And also some challenges he ask when the ball is clearly in/out

• He still likes to insist on getting the reserves some court time when the team has a comfortable lead like it's a training match. Even against teams like USA on a tournament like the Olympics. We don't need to talk about the wasted challenges. :lol:

But I do applaud him for preparing the team. Russia looks physically impressive. The last 2 games looked like they also switched on their winning mentality. This current team look completely different from the teams in Beijing, London, and Rio. Those teams from the past were sleepy on court. Hopefully, the girls continue their unbelievable performance. #NoJinxIntended

• Russia ended up the 4th place in the group. It was not ideal but not as bad as ending in 2nd or 3rd place that would potentially set them up against Serbia. Brazil is good, but Russia has a better chance to play against Brazil than against Serbia, no offense to Brazil fans;). Hopefully Startseva will be doing much better next time, today she was awful.

• Russia ended up the 4th place in the group. It was not ideal but not as bad as ending in 2nd or 3rd place that would potentially set them up against Serbia. Brazil is good, but Russia has a better chance to play against Brazil than against Serbia, no offense to Brazil fans;). Hopefully Startseva will be doing much better next time, today she was awful.

In theory at beggining russia wouldn't make it to qf

• Still can't get over how Russia squandered that huge lead against Turkey in second set. Have they won that set, Russia would have won the match 3-1 and would have had an easier path to Semifinal. I'm not optimistic with their chance against Brazil. Brazil have never lost to Russia for more than a decade now and they always do well against the Russian ladies. Besides, Brazil will definitely wouldn't want a repeat of Rio so they'll be more than determined to eliminate any team in their path. Russia seems to be weak against Brazil's solid team play.

My observation: Russia's performance against China and USA was the best game from all of the teams in Pool B. Judging from the irregularities of some of the favorites for the gold, Russia could beat any team playing like that. Unfortunately, like I already suspected, the problem is inconsistency. It's a question mark when that winning performance will show up. And that's what separates them from the elite teams. Looking back a few months ago with some of the key players suffering injuries, Russia reaching QF would be considered an achievement. But they also showed that if they remain consistent, there are possibilities for them to earn a medal in Tokyo. I still see Brazil with better chances of winning, though.

• If Russia manage to do the impossible and beat Brazil, it must be admitted, Turkey is favorable in SF than the winner of ItalyxSerbia so I think the loss to Turkey is not such a big deal. In their last match in the VNL where Russia was demolished by Brazil, IIRC both Goncharova and Fetisova were absent and both players improved considerably in Tokyo. I think the key to winning against Brazil is the the same strategy Russia did against US: Good block to set up counter-attacks, and crazy floor defence by Malova. Goncha just needs to show good level (and need not play like prime Goncha) if she has help from Voronkova and Arina, they are able to go toe-to-toe with Brazil. Uggjhh I'm so anxious with this match lol

• I really hope that was it for Buzato. The weird decisions during the match are not even the problem but the nominated substitutes are a disaster. If Russia had more than two real OH and an experienced second setter (admittedly the options were not great), they could not have done as badly against Turkey and China as they did.

• What a game!

I am a little disappointed, Russia really had a chance, but the result was widely expected, no complains.

A big difference of this loss compared to previous 5-6 years losses is that before every one loss caused more depression on the prospective of Russia women volleyball since each loss resulted in more losses following, as a fan, you felt hopeless and would never see the end of that, that was really hurting. But this time, I see the bright sight is coming, a new super star is born, Arina Fedorovtseva can really have ability to bring glories back to Russian women volleyball. She is only 17, but already plays as a leader and a super star is already, yes ALREADY, here!

One side note, Goncharova and Startseva should retire from the NT, they had their shinning moments but now it is time to pass the baton to the new generation.

• One side note, Goncharova and Startseva should retire from the NT, they had their shinning moments but now it is time to pass the baton to the new generation.

Goncharova for sure ;(, but about Startseva, I don't know... it's not like there are many replacements for her (sure, Popova and even Kobzar have potential, but they aren't ready) and the same goes for Malova and Koroleva. They should stay at least one more year.

It's sad that this was the last year of the Goncharova-Kosheleva duo. The time passes quickly.

• Goncharova for sure ;(, but about Startseva, I don't know... it's not like there are many replacements for her (sure, Popova and even Kobzar have potential, but they aren't ready) and the same goes for Malova and Koroleva. They should stay at least one more year.

Now I wonder what kind of a team Russia will send to the coming Euro championship this month.

• Now I wonder what kind of a team Russia will send to the coming Euro championship this month.

AFAIK, the injured players (Parubets, Romanova, and Efimova) will return for the ECh. Besides, some new girls like Akimova or Kadochkina could be considered.

The starting six is likely to be:

Romanova/Akimova (or Lazareva)

Fetisova/Efimova (or Koroleva)

Voronkova/Arina

Pilipenko

Hope Malova continues in the NT because Pilipenko sucks.

• It looks pretty good.

• I think Russian future is really good. You have not only Arina, but Vita Akimova, Lazarenko, Kozbar, Kadochkina, etc. I think the main problem of the Russian NT is the transition form the youth/junior levels to the main team. They need a coach that can capitalize the full potential of all these players...

• I think Russian future is really good. You have not only Arina, but Vita Akimova, Lazarenko, Kozbar, Kadochkina, etc. I think the main problem of the Russian NT is the transition form the youth/junior levels to the main team. They need a coach that can capitalize the full potential of all these players...

Akimova should start playing for the Senior National Team this European Championship, with Lazareva as the back up opposite. Akimova can ably replace Goncharova with her height and angles of her attacks. She just needs experience to prepare for the WCH 2022 and Paris Olympics. Goncharova should retire or take a break. Arina and Voronkova, with Parubets and Kadochkina/Smirnova should play as the outside hitters. For the middle hitters, Fetisova and Zaryazkho should still play with Lazarenko.

• Akimova should start playing for the Senior National Team this European Championship, with Lazareva as the back up opposite. Akimova can ably replace Goncharova with her height and angles of her attacks. She just needs experience to prepare for the WCH 2022 and Paris Olympics. Goncharova should retire or take a break. Arina and Voronkova, with Parubets and Kadochkina/Smirnova should play as the outside hitters. For the middle hitters, Fetisova and Zaryazkho should still play with Lazarenko.

I didn't like Lazareva this year, but maybe she could improve playing in Fenerbahce. Kadochkina should play both positions but especially fight for being the main Opp since the titular Ohs are locked with Arina, Voronkova, and Parubets.

• Lazareva or Kadochkina can play as substitute to Akimova for the opposite position. I wonder who will play as the Opposite during the U18 World Championship this September? During the U17 Euro Championship, the one who played as Opposite was a short and a non-dominant one. Protopopova (195 cm) from Uralochka was injured that time. I wonder if she will play now this September.

Will Arina still play for U18 World Champs?

• Lazareva or Kadochkina can play as substitute to Akimova for the opposite position. I wonder who will play as the Opposite during the U18 World Championship this September? During the U17 Euro Championship, the one who played as Opposite was a short and a non-dominant one. Protopopova (195 cm) from Uralochka was injured that time. I wonder if she will play now this September.

Will Arina still play for U18 World Champs?

AFAIK, Protopopova is (or was) training with the U18 team. E. Gatina and Popova are training as well, and they can play both positions, so those should be the opposites for the U18 Wch.

I don't know if Arina will play in this Wch (it's kinda unnecessary, IMO).

• AFAIK, Protopopova is (or was) training with the U18 team. E. Gatina and Popova are training as well, and they can play both positions, so those should be the opposites for the U18 Wch.

I don't know if Arina will play in this Wch (it's kinda unnecessary, IMO).

With Arina, I am sure they have higher chances of winning. But yeah, it is not neccessary. I hope Russia will have big talents from this generation.